Did Rain-x ruin my windshield or is it normal (how to make it better)?

Old October 8th 07, 12:59 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,misc.consumers,alt.home.repair
mm

Default Did Rain-x ruin my windshield or is it normal (how to make it better)?

On Sat, 6 Oct 2007 10:45:39 -0700, Slacker >
wrote:

>My windshield is fine except in the morning when the dew and sunshine
>combine to make it impossible to see due to this naughty spotty on/off film
>that I just can't windshield wipe off. Even the mirrors are spotty in the
>morning. The rear and side windows are fine.

I wouldn't use rainx on the mirrors, because they don't fog up and
they don't get wet normally, but maybe someone does.

I used rainx once and I like it. In a mild rain you don't have to turn
on the wipers, because the rain is flat and you can look right through
it.

But it needed reapplication in less than 3 or 6 months and that was
too much effort for me since the car came with windshield wipers.

If the wipers were broken, it would be a tremendous asset until you
got them fixed.

I'd be surprised if somone put rainx on and it lasted longer than 6
months, but maybe they put on more than one coat.

When mine wore off, I noticed no patches, but maybe I konw how to; put
it on evenly.

I don't know what adsorb means, but I'm pretty sure you can remove the
stuff, or the patches will get bigger until it's all patch, like
impetigo.
Old October 8th 07, 01:06 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,misc.consumers,alt.home.repair
mm

On Sun, 7 Oct 2007 08:01:28 -0700, Jeff Dittmar
> wrote:

>Being a sulfonic acid, I would hazard a guess rain-x de-icer works by polar
>attraction (but I might easily be wrong). I do not know how the rain-x
>pesticide would work though. Maybe you do?

The pesticide kills the rain.

Don't use the pesticide in an open convertible.

(It's fun to drive in the rain in an open convertible. The harder it
rains the faster you have to go, but even a heavy rain won't get in at
55 or 60.)

Old October 8th 07, 01:14 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,misc.consumers,alt.home.repair
mm

On Sat, 6 Oct 2007 21:54:31 -0500, "hls" > wrote:

>"George" > wrote in message
>> Rain-x is actually a good product and works well.

>Not for everyone, dude. Some like it, some hate it.

I understand that in 6 US states, past elections have turned on the
Rain-x versus the Anti-Rain-x forces. It's expected that this will
determine about 31% of the vote, November 2008.
Old October 8th 07, 01:19 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair
mm

On Sun, 07 Oct 2007 13:08:36 GMT, "Pete C." >
wrote:

>For my Rain-X applications I clean the glass well first with decent
>glass cleaner. I find the Zep brand glass cleaner seems to be one of the
>best. Once the glass is clean and dry and also cooler and out of the
>direct sun I apply the Rain-X and buff well with one of the micro fiber
>cloths. I make a complete pass around to all the windows and then make a
>second pass paying extra attention to the final buffing with a second
>dry micro fiber cloth.
>
>I never have any issues with streaks or spots and the Rain-X action
>lasts for a few months. I do prefer the spray bottle Rain-X over the old
>"lighter fluid bottle" type for ease of application.

They don't sell enough lighter fluid anymore, so they had to
discontinue the bottles.

Old October 8th 07, 02:43 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,misc.consumers,alt.home.repair
Don Stauffer in Minnesota

On Oct 6, 1:52 pm, "hls" > wrote:
> I used RainX once and didnt really care for it. It is, I believe, a
> silicone compound that
> adsorbs upon your windshield glass and makes it shed water quickly.
>
> As mine deteriorated, I had some issues with patchy spots, and decided if I
> ever got it
> clean I would never use the stuff again.
>
> You spots may be from oil from the engine or highway, dirty wipers, paint or
> chemicals
> which have drifted onto your car or maybe even more possibilities.
>
> You may have to clean the glass with a good glass cleaner and replace your
> wiper blades
> to get relief. (I have some windows that are so badly filmed with
> "something" I have never
> been able to get them clean.)

I have the same opinion. It was great when freshly applied, but was
not good when it started to wear through. Then, it took a LOT of
effort to get it completely off. I rubbed a lot with lacquer
thinner! So I decided not to use it in the future.

Old October 8th 07, 03:37 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,misc.consumers,alt.home.repair
clifto

John Weiss wrote:
> "dpb" > wrote...
>>
>> As posted earlier, it has alcohol as one of the solvents/carriers, but
>> alcohol isn't the "active" ingredient...

>> Ingredient Name BENZENEMETHANAMINIUM,
>> N-[2-[(2,6-DIMETHYLPHENYL)AMINO]-2-OXOETHYL]-N,N-DIETHYL-, BENZOATE (<1%)

> Isn't that what's in acne medications? ;-)

Do you see any acne on my windshield? I thought not. Hah.

--
"You can't block traffic if you're not in the way."
Old October 9th 07, 03:22 AM posted to rec.autos.tech,misc.consumers,alt.home.repair
Plague Boy

Slacker wrote:
> My windshield is fine except in the morning when the dew and sunshine
> combine to make it impossible to see due to this naughty spotty on/off film
> that I just can't windshield wipe off. Even the mirrors are spotty in the
> morning. The rear and side windows are fine.
>
> When I was driving the neighbor's fifteen year old to school yesterday
> morning, he said it was the nasty rainx. What rainx? I bought the car used
> about six months ago and I never used anything with rain x on the
> windshield.
>
> Is rain-x the culprit? If so, how do I save the windshield?
> Is there a way to remove this rain x stuff so I can see again?

Could it be car wax? ISTR a similar problem with a van at work.
Wiped the glass down with denatured alcohol to remove the film.

PB
Old October 9th 07, 07:57 AM posted to rec.autos.tech,misc.consumers,alt.home.repair
Jeff Dittmar

On Mon, 08 Oct 2007 07:59:04 -0400, mm wrote:

> I don't know what adsorb means, but I'm pretty sure you can remove the
> stuff, or the patches will get bigger until it's all patch, like
> impetigo.

aBsorb === to take up or receive by chemical or molecular action

aDsorb === to gather (a gas, liquid, or dissolved substance) on a surface
in a condensed layer: Charcoal will adsorb gases.
Old October 9th 07, 04:43 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,misc.consumers,alt.home.repair
Steve[_1_]

Slacker wrote:

> To find what is inside Rain-X, I first tried calling Sopus Products in
> Houston at 800-416-1600 but they are only open 8am to 5pm Central time.
> Their web page says Rain-X is composed of methanol
> http://householdproducts.nlm.nih.gov...nds&id=2003038
>
> Looking deeper, I then tried calling Kafko International, Ltd. 800-528-0334
> in Illinois
> http://householdproducts.nlm.nih.gov...ds&id=11013001
> Interestingly, they say Rain-X is isopropanol and sulfuric acid!
>
> I look again at Shell Oil's Rain-X only to find it's made out of
> "unspecified surfactants" and water!
> http://householdproducts.nlm.nih.gov...ds&id=19037001
>
> Back at Pennzoil-Quaker State, we find Rain-X composed of clay, alcohol,
> and emulsifiers!
> Clays = 1-10%
> Ethanol/SD Alcohol 40 = 70-95%
> Isopropanol = 1-10%
> Thickening agent(s) = 1-5%
> http://householdproducts.nlm.nih.gov...nds&id=2003042
>
> Moving to Scottsdale Arizona, calling Unelko Corp at 800-528-3149, I find
> it's got a whole recipe of "anes", "ols", "acids", and "ones"...
> Ethanol/SD Alcohol 40 = 86%
> Isopropanol = 4%
> Ethyl sulfate = 1%
> Polydimethylsiloxanes Silicon oil = <9%
> Silicic acid (H4SiO4), tetraethyl ester, hydrolysis products with
> chlorotrimethylsilane = <9%
> Siloxanes and Silicones, di-Me, hydroxy-terminated = <9%
>
> What's with the ingredients of Rain-X?
> Is it basically snake oil and placebo or does it actually have a consistent
> consistency?

WTF are you talking about? You've checked 3 different Rain-X branded
products (washer fluid, original, and "windshield wax") plus one
completely un-related product that isn't even Rain-X! Of COURSE the
formulations are different! Sheesh.