Did Rain-x ruin my windshield or is it normal (how to make it better)?

Old October 6th 07, 06:45 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,misc.consumers,alt.home.repair
Slacker[_2_]

Default Did Rain-x ruin my windshield or is it normal (how to make it better)?

My windshield is fine except in the morning when the dew and sunshine
combine to make it impossible to see due to this naughty spotty on/off film
that I just can't windshield wipe off. Even the mirrors are spotty in the
morning. The rear and side windows are fine.

When I was driving the neighbor's fifteen year old to school yesterday
morning, he said it was the nasty rainx. What rainx? I bought the car used
about six months ago and I never used anything with rain x on the
windshield.

Is rain-x the culprit? If so, how do I save the windshield?
Is there a way to remove this rain x stuff so I can see again?
Old October 6th 07, 07:06 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,misc.consumers,alt.home.repair
Willshak

on 10/6/2007 1:45 PM Slacker said the following:
> My windshield is fine except in the morning when the dew and sunshine
> combine to make it impossible to see due to this naughty spotty on/off film
> that I just can't windshield wipe off. Even the mirrors are spotty in the
> morning. The rear and side windows are fine.
>
> When I was driving the neighbor's fifteen year old to school yesterday
> morning, he said it was the nasty rainx.

I always listen to 15 year olds. After all, they know "Everything". :-)

> What rainx? I bought the car used
> about six months ago and I never used anything with rain x on the
> windshield.
>
> Is rain-x the culprit? If so, how do I save the windshield?
> Is there a way to remove this rain x stuff so I can see again?

Rain-X does not damage glass. I have been using it for many years on
many vehicles, on all windows and mirrors.
Have you tried cleaning the glass with a good glass cleaner? How good
are your wipers? What's in your washer fluid cannister?

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Old October 6th 07, 07:52 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,misc.consumers,alt.home.repair
hls

I used RainX once and didnt really care for it. It is, I believe, a
silicone compound that
adsorbs upon your windshield glass and makes it shed water quickly.

As mine deteriorated, I had some issues with patchy spots, and decided if I
ever got it
clean I would never use the stuff again.

You spots may be from oil from the engine or highway, dirty wipers, paint or
chemicals
which have drifted onto your car or maybe even more possibilities.

You may have to clean the glass with a good glass cleaner and replace your
wiper blades
to get relief. (I have some windows that are so badly filmed with
"something" I have never
been able to get them clean.)

Old October 6th 07, 08:20 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,misc.consumers,alt.home.repair
Willshak

on 10/6/2007 2:52 PM hls said the following:
> I used RainX once and didnt really care for it. It is, I believe, a
> silicone compound that
> adsorbs upon your windshield glass and makes it shed water quickly.

I don't know what it is made of, but it smells like burnt alcohol (not
really burnt, as that would evaporate the alcohol, but if it could be burnt)

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Old October 6th 07, 08:34 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,misc.consumers,alt.home.repair
dpb

willshak wrote:
> on 10/6/2007 2:52 PM hls said the following:
>> I used RainX once and didnt really care for it. It is, I believe, a
>> silicone compound that
>> adsorbs upon your windshield glass and makes it shed water quickly.

> I don't know what it is made of, but it smells like burnt alcohol ...

Well, easy enough to find out...

Ingredient # 01
Ingredient Name *WATER (50-90%)
CAS Number 7732185
Proprietary NO
Percent 90
Ingredient # 02
Ingredient Name METHANOL (20-35%)
CAS Number 67561
Proprietary N0
Percent 35
Ingredient # 03
Ingredient Name BENZENEMETHANAMINIUM,
N-[2-[(2,6-DIMETHYLPHENYL)AMINO]-2-OXOETHYL]-N,N-DIETHYL-, BENZOATE (<1%)

Old October 6th 07, 08:35 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,misc.consumers,alt.home.repair
Steve Kraus

You might even want to wipe your windshield down with a solvent like paint
thinner (don't get it on anything else!) to remove any sort of films
ordinary cleaning won't and then wash it thoroughly with detergent to make
sure that in turn is removed.
Old October 6th 07, 08:36 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,misc.consumers,alt.home.repair
Thurman H.

Slacker wrote:
> My windshield is fine except in the morning when the dew and sunshine
> combine to make it impossible to see due to this naughty spotty on/off film
> that I just can't windshield wipe off. Even the mirrors are spotty in the
> morning. The rear and side windows are fine.
>
> When I was driving the neighbor's fifteen year old to school yesterday
> morning, he said it was the nasty rainx. What rainx? I bought the car used
> about six months ago and I never used anything with rain x on the
> windshield.
>
> Is rain-x the culprit? If so, how do I save the windshield?
> Is there a way to remove this rain x stuff so I can see again?

One of the people I work with, puts rain-x on their bald head. The stuff
really works, because you can watch the water bead right up. I haven't
noticed any damage to their head, so I doubt if it would do any damage
to glass.

Many thanks
Old October 6th 07, 08:50 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,misc.consumers,alt.home.repair
[email protected]

On Oct 6, 12:45 pm, Slacker > wrote:
> My windshield is fine except in the morning when the dew and sunshine
> combine to make it impossible to see due to this naughty spotty on/off film
> that I just can't windshield wipe off. Even the mirrors are spotty in the
> morning. The rear and side windows are fine.
>
> When I was driving the neighbor's fifteen year old to school yesterday
> morning, he said it was the nasty rainx. What rainx? I bought the car used
> about six months ago and I never used anything with rain x on the
> windshield.
>
> Is rain-x the culprit? If so, how do I save the windshield?
> Is there a way to remove this rain x stuff so I can see again?

I have also been using RainX for many years. I tried the inside anti-
fog stuff and didn't like it at all (smeary).
I do not believe it has ANY silicone in it...it is more like a
solvent.
It allows you to see while driving in the rain without wipers...that
is a great safety factor.
(I own no interest or stocks in this product) ; )

Old October 6th 07, 09:08 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,misc.consumers,alt.home.repair
Willshak

on 10/6/2007 3:34 PM dpb said the following:
> willshak wrote:
>> on 10/6/2007 2:52 PM hls said the following:
>>> I used RainX once and didnt really care for it. It is, I believe, a
>>> silicone compound that
>>> adsorbs upon your windshield glass and makes it shed water quickly.

>> I don't know what it is made of, but it smells like burnt alcohol ...

> Well, easy enough to find out...
>
> Ingredient # 01
> Ingredient Name *WATER (50-90%)
> CAS Number 7732185
> Proprietary NO
> Percent 90
> Ingredient # 02
> Ingredient Name METHANOL (20-35%)
> CAS Number 67561
> Proprietary N0
> Percent 35
> Ingredient # 03
> Ingredient Name BENZENEMETHANAMINIUM,
> N-[2-[(2,6-DIMETHYLPHENYL)AMINO]-2-OXOETHYL]-N,N-DIETHYL-, BENZOATE (<1%)
>
> --

Cool, I'll mix my own!

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Old October 6th 07, 09:36 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,misc.consumers,alt.home.repair
hls

> wrote in message n
> I have also been using RainX for many years. I tried the inside anti-
> fog stuff and didn't like it at all (smeary).
> I do not believe it has ANY silicone in it...it is more like a
> solvent.
> It allows you to see while driving in the rain without wipers...that
> is a great safety factor.
> (I own no interest or stocks in this product) ; )

I had believed it contained a siliconeglycol or similar, but apparently not.
At any rate, I dont like it for my windshield.

Quaternary amines have long been used inside the windows to break the
surface tension and allow droplets to flow together in a clear film rather
than a fog. The composition cited earlier looks like an ester quat. Just
from the formulation, I would not have suspected it would be persistent
enough to last on the exterior of a windshield. Live and learn.

I have thought about trying it in my bathroom on the shower tiles. Maybe
it would help them shed water, etc.