2002 SC2 noises

Old November 3rd 06, 02:41 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
[email protected]

Default 2002 SC2 noises

2002 SC2 manual transmission

When I start the car after it sits for a while, I get this brief
clunking sound as I start to drive either forwards or backwards (most
noticeable in reverse or whenever I don't give it much gas) . After
maybe 30 seconds to a minute of driving it goes away.

Any ideas? Thanks.

Old November 6th 06, 11:44 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
RangerRover

Does the sound happen then stop or does it continue for 30 seconds?
If it just happens for a moment, it could just be the sound of the ABS
cycling - it does it every time you start the car. If it is
continuous, it is likely somthing else.

Old November 7th 06, 07:56 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
[email protected]

No ABS. It continues and changes speed with the motor. It is not a
shuddering, lugging sound like trying to start out in the wrong gear,
just most noticeable when in gear and rolling at or near idle RPM. It
is also not a rock in the tire or something like that - most definitely
a mechanical clunk. The motor also always has some of what seems like
valve train noise, but that is there even when the car is warm. I have
heard that an exhaust leak can sound a bit like "lifter noise" and it
makes sense that it would get louder under load, but not that the deep
clunk would go away quickly. I suppose thermal expansion could seal it
somewhat... Oh well, I am bringing it in and I guess we'll find out.
Cross your fingers.

Old November 9th 06, 04:23 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
[email protected]

Dealer Diagnosis: Piston Slap

Recommendation: Do nothing, it is normal for the car. Idle car for a
while until it lessens, then drive at low RPM's until warmup.

Old November 10th 06, 04:56 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
[email protected]

A thought occured to me. I wonder if the "rattle" caused by this would
affect the knock sensor, causing the timing to be retarded under
acceleration, and be the reason the car seems to have a bit less pep
than my '96? Where is the knock sensor(s) mounted?