Anti-Lock Brakes

Old May 6th 09, 04:55 AM posted to alt.news-media,rec.autos.driving,rec.autos.tech,alt.autos.gm
S.Hansen

Default Anti-Lock Brakes

"Nate Nagel" > wrote in message
> S.Hansen wrote:
>>> OR there's an underlying mechanical problem causing it to activate all
>>> the time, OR its a ****-poor ABS design (there are lots of them out
>>> there).

>> The only one that bugged me was the ones on the 90's suburban, and they
>> were mediocre at the best, but they worked. the worst ABS that I delt
>> with were the "experimental" models that worked fine- but by the time
>> they failed parts were rare and exorbitant.
>> And I have NEVER, EVER had any model car come into a shop with any abs
>> activate all the time. The closest would be a car that was over
>> sensitive.
>> I think in regards to ABS, people make Mountains from Molehills. As far
>> as a car is concerned, that system has been one of the ones I have had to
>> work the least on.
>> Stephen H.

> I can remember driving Dodge vans with and without ABS... this would have
> been mid 90's. It was dangerous because unless you remembered which van
> you were in you might "float" into the middle of an intersection. Bad
> weather plus ABS = no brakes in those vans.
>
> fortunately, ABS has improved since then...
>
> nate
>
> --
> replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
> http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Just a few days ago was driving a buddies Dodge p/u (2000) a different
vehicle has a different feel... Had to be real careful, my subie engine was
in the back not strapped down!

Old May 6th 09, 05:23 AM posted to alt.news-media,rec.autos.driving,rec.autos.tech,alt.autos.gm
Nate Nagel[_2_]

S.Hansen wrote:
> "Nate Nagel" > wrote in message
>> S.Hansen wrote:
>>> The only one that bugged me was the ones on the 90's suburban, and they
>>> were mediocre at the best, but they worked. the worst ABS that I delt
>>> with were the "experimental" models that worked fine- but by the time
>>> they failed parts were rare and exorbitant.
>>> And I have NEVER, EVER had any model car come into a shop with any abs
>>> activate all the time. The closest would be a car that was over
>>> sensitive.
>>> I think in regards to ABS, people make Mountains from Molehills. As far
>>> as a car is concerned, that system has been one of the ones I have had to
>>> work the least on.
>>> Stephen H.

>> I can remember driving Dodge vans with and without ABS... this would have
>> been mid 90's. It was dangerous because unless you remembered which van
>> you were in you might "float" into the middle of an intersection. Bad
>> weather plus ABS = no brakes in those vans.
>>
>> fortunately, ABS has improved since then...
>>
>> nate
>>
>> --
>> replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
>> http://members.cox.net/njnagel

> Just a few days ago was driving a buddies Dodge p/u (2000) a different
> vehicle has a different feel... Had to be real careful, my subie engine was
> in the back not strapped down!

True dat, but my point was that there were actually a couple vans,
within a few model years of each other and essentially identical except
one had ABS and the other didn't (probably a model year or two older.)
The one without ABS was much easier to stop in poor weather, as if you
activated the ABS it would get waaaaay to aggressive and you'd lose
almost all braking, even if you just hit a short patch of ice that you
would have hardly noticed in the non-ABS van.

nate

Old May 8th 09, 09:39 PM posted to alt.news-media,rec.autos.driving,rec.autos.tech,alt.autos.gm
Steve[_1_]

S.Hansen wrote:
> "Steve" > wrote in message
>>> I like and trust ABS, but think if you feel it often, your driving to
>>> recklessly.
>>> Steve

>> OR there's an underlying mechanical problem causing it to activate all the
>> time, OR its a ****-poor ABS design (there are lots of them out there).

<snip>

> And I have NEVER, EVER had any model car come into a shop with any abs
> activate all the time.

You do realize that by "all the time" I didn't literally mean "all the
time." ;-)

What I meant was that if you *routinely* feel ABS activating, (say
several times a week) then something is probably wrong and causing the
ABS to have to work in situations where the regular braking system
should be able to cope just fine.