1998 SC1 Fast Idle

Old January 21st 05, 10:43 PM
Brock Bolton

Default 1998 SC1 Fast Idle

I just got home from work and while driving my 1998 SC1 at a stop light the
engine suddenly started to rev, despite the clutch being fully depressed,
and my foot on the brake. It got up to about 3000rpm, then gradually
settled back down to around 2000rpm. Now, when I come to a stop and put in
the clutch, the car idles momentarily at around 2000rpm, then after about
2-3 sec., goes back to it's normal 800rpm. Keep in mind, it's ridiculously
cold here today (-25C or so right now) so I don't know if this somehow has
something to do with it. The engine was very warm at the time, and at it's
operating temperature (or close to it, given the weather).

Anyone have any similar experiences or ideas??

*
R.I.P., Greg Moore (1975-1999)
Dale Earnhardt (1951-2001)
-- Gone, but never forgotten.

"To do something well is so worthwhile, that to die trying to do it better,
cannot be foolhardy. It would be a waste of life to do nothing with one's
ability,
for I feel that life is measured in achievement, not in years alone"
Bruce McLaren
*

Old January 22nd 05, 07:57 PM
Philip Nasadowski

In article >,
"Brock Bolton" > wrote:

> Anyone have any similar experiences or ideas??

I've had this a few times if I just changed the battery or disconnected
it for any reason. After a while, the computer grows up and it behaves
again.

You could have a vacuum leak, too. Or, a sticky throttle body. Pulling
and cleaning it is a good idea - remove the IAC and TPS and really get
the junk out.

Check the PCV valve and hoses, too.
Old January 23rd 05, 09:55 PM
Brock Bolton

I think I fixed it....I did a couple of things. First I replaced the PCV
valve, and then the ECTS. Total cost, about $20. Found the info at
www.saturnfans.com in the forums. Great stuff.

Old January 24th 05, 08:44 PM

On Sun, 23 Jan 2005 16:55:53 -0500, "Brock Bolton"
> wrote:

>I think I fixed it....I did a couple of things. First I replaced the PCV
>valve, and then the ECTS. Total cost, about $20. Found the info at
>www.saturnfans.com in the forums. Great stuff.

Always glad to hear a happy ending to a problem.

Good work, and thx for posting a follow-up.

later,

tom @ www.CarFleaMarket.com