Timing belt?

Old October 27th 04, 06:28 AM
dorkus.erectus

Default Timing belt?

Another damn intermittent problem. It started in August.
My daughter's '94 SL2 sometimes runs real rough until it warms up.
Other times it runs fine from the beginning then goes rough later.
And sometimes no problem at all.
We installed new spark plugs and wires in August and it went away for about
a month.
Then it came back.
Someone suggested that the timing belt might be the problem.
The car has 90K miles.

Any opinions?

Old October 27th 04, 12:14 PM
Chasberry

It's not the timing belt because your car has a timing 'chain'.
My daughter's '94 SW2 has 150k miles - original chain.
Old October 27th 04, 02:53 PM
Jonnie Santos

I used to get corrosion on one of the coil towers that I attributed to
sporadic rough running. A little fine sandpaper, followed up with
dielectric (sp?) grease worked fine to clean up the tower. Eventually the
corrosion comes back and it also makes a mess inside the boot of the spark
wire. The last time I did plugs/wires I splurged on new coil packs
(aftermarket) and the tower connectors appeared to have a gold-like coating.

Old October 28th 04, 04:31 AM
justastreekin

If it is engine temperature related could very well be the CTS sending unit
( a small device with two small wires on right side of engine next to EGR
valve, this sending unit is made from plastic and the engine temperature
does a number on it ! there are two devices there that look alike, one is
a sender for the temp gage on your instrument panel it has one wire, you
want the one with two wires ,
you need to sqeeze its plugin a certain way to get it off and check its
resistance with an ohm meter, it should read between 215-235 ohms with
engine at 200 degrees F. and 3.9K -4.5K at 60 Degres F. its small and hard
to get a reading i used an old extension cord cut into pieces to act as a
plugin. Hope this helps if not you maybe someone