New, out-of-state, registration fees??

Old January 14th 05, 05:57 PM
LauraK

>I wanted to buy a "new" vehicle from a dealer out of state because I
>won't have to pay sales tax. But I was told that I would have to pay
>the tax once I register the vehicle in my home state (CA - California).
>Does anyone know if this is true or if there is a way to get around
>having to pay the full taxes?
>
>I know when you buy used, a lot of people just write the purchase price
>really low. But how does the DMV check on these things?

You need to check with the DMV. Here's some basic information.
http://www.dmv.ca.gov/vr/osreg.htm#BM2561
The biggest problem will be making sure that the car can be sold in California
-- meets smog requirements. More on that at the link above.

http://www.madmousergraphics.com
web design, print design, photography

Old January 14th 05, 09:33 PM
rides_twins

Thanks for all the input everyone.

You know, I noticed that registration in CA means that vehicle value is
NOT calculated automatically. You have to specify the vehicle value.

Regardless, if I want to do this the "right" way, couldn't I also just
pay the tax in the state where I am purchasing it?

I also read another thread where someone said if the vehicle is
"brought-in" after 90-days you are not subject to tax in CA. Is this
still true? How do they determine when it was broght in? Maybe I
should ask the dealer to hold onto it for 90 days first?
More thoughts?

Thanks!

Old January 14th 05, 11:03 PM
Olaf Gustafson

On 14 Jan 2005 13:33:08 -0800, "rides_twins"
> wrote:

>Thanks for all the input everyone.
>
>You know, I noticed that registration in CA means that vehicle value is
>NOT calculated automatically. You have to specify the vehicle value.
>
>Regardless, if I want to do this the "right" way, couldn't I also just
>pay the tax in the state where I am purchasing it?
>
>I also read another thread where someone said if the vehicle is
>"brought-in" after 90-days you are not subject to tax in CA. Is this
>still true? How do they determine when it was broght in? Maybe I
>should ask the dealer to hold onto it for 90 days first?
>More thoughts?

Pay your friggin' taxes

Old January 14th 05, 11:03 PM
Olaf Gustafson

On 14 Jan 2005 13:33:08 -0800, "rides_twins"
> wrote:

>Thanks for all the input everyone.
>
>You know, I noticed that registration in CA means that vehicle value is
>NOT calculated automatically. You have to specify the vehicle value.
>
>Regardless, if I want to do this the "right" way, couldn't I also just
>pay the tax in the state where I am purchasing it?
>
>I also read another thread where someone said if the vehicle is
>"brought-in" after 90-days you are not subject to tax in CA. Is this
>still true? How do they determine when it was broght in? Maybe I
>should ask the dealer to hold onto it for 90 days first?
>More thoughts?

Pay your friggin' taxes

Old January 15th 05, 04:33 AM
John David Galt

>> Another thing to watch out for is to make SURE that the new vehicle
>> you buy is EPA certified for sale in California. There will be a
>> sticker under the hood that MUST say "California" on it, otherwise yu
>> will not be able to register the car here. Usually this isn;t a
>> problem, but it's best to find out BEFORE you buy.

> Let me add that if you bring in a NEW vehicle from out of state into
> California, it MUST have at least 7500 miles on the odometer before
> California will allow it to be registered. They don't like people
> buying new cars out of state.

That only applies if the car doesn't have that CA-EPA sticker under
the hood.

Of course, you could always register it in the other state, then wait
until you've driven it 7500 miles before bringing it into CA and
registering it here.
Old January 15th 05, 04:33 AM
John David Galt

Old January 15th 05, 09:12 PM
Danno

Chunk pompously spouted:

> In article >,
> says...
> > On 13 Jan 2005 08:29:32 -0800, "rides_twins"
> > > wrote:
> >
> > >Please help!
> > >
> > >I wanted to buy a "new" vehicle from a dealer out of state because

> > >won't have to pay sales tax. But I was told that I would have to

pay
> > >the tax once I register the vehicle in my home state (CA -

California).
> > >Does anyone know if this is true or if there is a way to get

around
> > >having to pay the full taxes?

> > No, it's not new, and yes, it's true.
> >
> > Another thing to watch out for is to make SURE that the new vehicle
> > you buy is EPA certified for sale in California. There will be a
> > sticker under the hood that MUST say "California" on it, otherwise

yu
> > will not be able to register the car here. Usually this isn;t a
> > problem, but it's best to find out BEFORE you buy.

> Let me add that if you bring in a NEW vehicle from out of state into
> California, it MUST have at least 7500 miles on the odometer before
> California will allow it to be registered. They don't like people
> buying new cars out of state.
>
> > >I know when you buy used, a lot of people just write the purchase

price
> > >really low. But how does the DMV check on these things?

> > The DMV is wise to all your tricks. They have a book i which

they
> > look up the taxable value of your vehicle. Thus, even if you manage

> > purchase it for $1 (or forge the bill of sale to make it appear

so),
> > they will still charge you use tax and VLT based on the book value

of

Old January 15th 05, 09:12 PM
Danno

Chunk pompously spouted: