Servise Engine Soon - After rain

Old July 3rd 05, 04:25 PM
AnthonyS

Default Servise Engine Soon - After rain

On my 96 SL the "Service Engine Soon" comes on after a heavy rain. After
the car runs awhile (I guess until the wet area dries) the car will
restart with no trouble light. The leak is most likely a clogged drain
allowing water to drip down the fire wall or other spot. Has anyone
found and solved this problem.... Thanks
Old July 5th 05, 03:45 AM
Oppie

Was this a start after sitting in heavy rain or driving in heavy rain?

Any idea what the service code is? I'd first consider a misfire due to the
wet ignition wires. Check the coil, distributor cap and rotor and all the
spark plug wires. Pull off the distributor cap and check for any moisture
inside. Should be dry as a bone.

You can also check the vacuum hoses for any signs of moisture in them. With
the exception of the pvc valve (which sometimes has a bit of condensation)
all the hoses should be dry on the inside. This on the odd chance that a
vacuum leak is sucking in water somewhere and causing a misfire.

.. .

Old July 5th 05, 05:08 AM
AnthonyS

"Oppie" > wrote in
:

> Was this a start after sitting in heavy rain or driving in heavy

rain?

> Any idea what the service code is? I'd first consider a misfire due

> the wet ignition wires. Check the coil, distributor cap and rotor

and
> all the spark plug wires. Pull off the distributor cap and check

for
> any moisture inside. Should be dry as a bone.

> .. .
>> On my 96 SL the "Service Engine Soon" comes on after a heavy rain.
>> After the car runs awhile (I guess until the wet area dries) the

car
>> will restart with no trouble light. The leak is most likely a
>> clogged drain allowing water to drip down the fire wall or other
>> spot. Has anyone found and solved this problem.... Thanks

The condition occurs are sitting parked and starting after a heavy
rain.
Old July 5th 05, 02:17 PM
The Real Tom

:

>> Was this a start after sitting in heavy rain or driving in heavy

>rain?
>>
>> Any idea what the service code is? I'd first consider a misfire due

>> the wet ignition wires. Check the coil, distributor cap and rotor

>and
>> all the spark plug wires. Pull off the distributor cap and check

>for
>> any moisture inside. Should be dry as a bone.

>> .. .
>>> On my 96 SL the "Service Engine Soon" comes on after a heavy rain.
>>> After the car runs awhile (I guess until the wet area dries) the

>car
>>> will restart with no trouble light. The leak is most likely a
>>> clogged drain allowing water to drip down the fire wall or other
>>> spot. Has anyone found and solved this problem.... Thanks

>The condition occurs are sitting parked and starting after a heavy
>rain.

You'll love this, I had a 96SL2, if it sat for a couple days, and it
rained heavy right before I started it, the car would start rough,
come to idle, and then the SES light would come on. While driving to
work, it would turn off.

I replaced the plugs and wires. Ofcourse cleaned off the ignition
posts, and the problem seem to go away.

Now I figured it was a bad connection, or wire, so I hope a simple fix
like mine works for you, since each car is unique at times.
later,

tom @ www.CarFleaMarket.com
Old July 6th 05, 01:15 AM
Steve

<snip>if it sat for a couple days, and it rained heavy right before I
started it, the car would start rough, come to idle, and then the SES light
would come on</snip>

I had the exact same problem you described on my '99 SC2. Figured out it was
a pinhole in one on the wires when I went to wiggle the connections at the
distributor after it rained and felt a strong tingle run up arm; replaced
the plug wires and all is well.

Steve

Old July 6th 05, 05:56 PM
parts

This vehicle does not have a distributor!!!!!!!!!!!!

:

>>>rain?

>>>and

>>>for

96...

Old July 6th 05, 10:29 PM
Steve

Fine!!! I wiggled the connections at the DOOHICKEY!!!!!! :-P

om...

Old July 6th 05, 11:07 PM
The Real Tom

On Tue, 5 Jul 2005 20:15:12 -0400, "Steve" >
wrote:

><snip>if it sat for a couple days, and it rained heavy right before I
>started it, the car would start rough, come to idle, and then the SES light
>would come on</snip>
>
>I had the exact same problem you described on my '99 SC2. Figured out it was
>a pinhole in one on the wires when I went to wiggle the connections at the
>distributor after it rained and felt a strong tingle run up arm; replaced
>the plug wires and all is well.

Oh my! Good think it wasn't a good tingle accross your chest. Good
find!

later,

tom www.mesothelioma-lawyers-list.com

Old July 22nd 05, 05:47 AM
DigitoNut

On Wed, 06 Jul 2005 18:07:16 -0400, The Real Tom <Tom @
www.Love-Calculators.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 5 Jul 2005 20:15:12 -0400, "Steve" >
> wrote:
>
>> <snip>if it sat for a couple days, and it rained heavy right before I
>> started it, the car would start rough, come to idle, and then the SES
>> light
>> would come on</snip>
>>
>> I had the exact same problem you described on my '99 SC2. Figured out
>> it was
>> a pinhole in one on the wires when I went to wiggle the connections at
>> the
>> distributor after it rained and felt a strong tingle run up arm;
>> replaced
>> the plug wires and all is well.

> Oh my! Good think it wasn't a good tingle accross your chest. Good
> find!
>
> later,
>
> tom www.mesothelioma-lawyers-list.com
>

>> Steve

>>> :

>>> You'll love this, I had a 96SL2, if it sat for a couple days, and it
>>> rained heavy right before I started it, the car would start rough,
>>> come to idle, and then the SES light would come on. While driving to
>>> work, it would turn off.
>>>
>>> I replaced the plugs and wires. Ofcourse cleaned off the ignition
>>> posts, and the problem seem to go away.
>>>
>>> Now I figured it was a bad connection, or wire, so I hope a simple fix
>>> like mine works for you, since each car is unique at times.
>>> later,
>>>
>>> tom @ www.CarFleaMarket.com

There must be some mistakes about the saturn car here.
1 - saturn s-series dont use distributor - only use ignition coil 1 coil
for 2 cylinders.
2 - the problem is possible coincident with the rain.
3 - the car requires basic maintenance