DIY Hatch Glass

Old June 5th 05, 04:14 AM
MAT

Default DIY Hatch Glass

Hondarinos,

I was spending a pleasant afternoon at my folks' house installing my new
suspension kit and everything was going great, finished up the front and was
raising the rear when I hear a BOOM and glass cascading down!!! My car was
a bumper length sticking out of the garage and the hatch was up, the rear
wiper levered against the top of the garage and the rest was history. So
after the shock and the 36 syllable hybrid curse that left my mouth I had a
beer and finished up.

I want to order the glass and miscellanea and install it myself. I've
looked at the FSM and it looks pretty doable. Any gotchas with this? Is
the adhesive difficult to work with and easily obtainable? Are the suction
cups readily available and affordable? My insurance deductible is 500 and I
don't think I have a glass clause. After some of the stuff I've read and a
news report about shoddy workmanship, I'd rather try it myself. I love my
car and would rather keep it away from unloving hands unless I absolutely
need to. Thanks.

Marco

Old June 5th 05, 05:51 AM
Michael Pardee

"MAT" > wrote in message
> Hondarinos,
>
> I was spending a pleasant afternoon at my folks' house installing my new
> suspension kit and everything was going great, finished up the front and
> was raising the rear when I hear a BOOM and glass cascading down!!! My
> car was a bumper length sticking out of the garage and the hatch was up,
> the rear wiper levered against the top of the garage and the rest was
> history. So after the shock and the 36 syllable hybrid curse that left my
> mouth I had a beer and finished up.
>
> I want to order the glass and miscellanea and install it myself. I've
> looked at the FSM and it looks pretty doable. Any gotchas with this? Is
> the adhesive difficult to work with and easily obtainable? Are the
> suction cups readily available and affordable? My insurance deductible is
> 500 and I don't think I have a glass clause. After some of the stuff I've
> read and a news report about shoddy workmanship, I'd rather try it myself.
> I love my car and would rather keep it away from unloving hands unless I
> absolutely need to. Thanks.
>
> Marco

I haven't done anything like that, and you may already know this warning...
the glass is tempered and needs to be protected from sudden temperature
changes or it will go BOOM before you even get it installed. You don't have
to baby it, but if it is very hot from being in the sun or in the closed car
and you bring it into a cool house or spray it with glass cleaner it might
take offense.

Mike

Old June 5th 05, 10:07 AM
Eric

MAT wrote:

> I want to order the glass and miscellanea and install it myself. I've
> looked at the FSM and it looks pretty doable. Any gotchas with this? Is
> the adhesive difficult to work with and easily obtainable? Are the
> suction cups readily available and affordable? My insurance deductible
> is 500 and I don't think I have a glass clause. After some of the stuff
> I've read and a news report about shoddy workmanship, I'd rather try it
> myself. I love my car and would rather keep it away from unloving hands
> unless I absolutely need to. Thanks.

You can find an assortment of suction cups at http://tinyurl.com/bysuz.
However, keep in mind that you might be able to find a better price through
different sources such as http://www.etoolcart.com/.

Eric
Old June 5th 05, 11:48 AM
Sparky Spartacus

MAT wrote:

> Hondarinos,
>
> I was spending a pleasant afternoon at my folks' house installing my new
> suspension kit and everything was going great, finished up the front and was
> raising the rear when I hear a BOOM and glass cascading down!!! My car was
> a bumper length sticking out of the garage and the hatch was up, the rear
> wiper levered against the top of the garage and the rest was history. So
> after the shock and the 36 syllable hybrid curse that left my mouth I had a
> beer and finished up.
>
> I want to order the glass and miscellanea and install it myself. I've
> looked at the FSM and it looks pretty doable. Any gotchas with this? Is
> the adhesive difficult to work with and easily obtainable? Are the suction
> cups readily available and affordable? My insurance deductible is 500 and I
> don't think I have a glass clause. After some of the stuff I've read and a
> news report about shoddy workmanship, I'd rather try it myself. I love my
> car and would rather keep it away from unloving hands unless I absolutely
> need to. Thanks.

Are you confidant about installing it without leaks? I'd get at least a
couple of quotes from auto glass places before trying this one.

YMMV, of course.
Old June 5th 05, 02:12 PM
Brian Smith

"MAT" > wrote in message
> Hondarinos,

I would go to a glass company and pay them to replace the glass. That way it
is covered by a warranty (if it leaks or breaks). It's far easier to do it
that way than to risk breaking the glass before you complete the DIY
installation, and there are no tools to purchase. Not to mention no cleanup.

Brian

Old June 5th 05, 04:26 PM
jim beam

MAT wrote:
> Hondarinos,
>
> I was spending a pleasant afternoon at my folks' house installing my new
> suspension kit and everything was going great, finished up the front and was
> raising the rear when I hear a BOOM and glass cascading down!!! My car was
> a bumper length sticking out of the garage and the hatch was up, the rear
> wiper levered against the top of the garage and the rest was history. So
> after the shock and the 36 syllable hybrid curse that left my mouth I had a
> beer and finished up.
>
> I want to order the glass and miscellanea and install it myself. I've
> looked at the FSM and it looks pretty doable. Any gotchas with this? Is
> the adhesive difficult to work with and easily obtainable? Are the suction
> cups readily available and affordable? My insurance deductible is 500 and I
> don't think I have a glass clause. After some of the stuff I've read and a
> news report about shoddy workmanship, I'd rather try it myself. I love my
> car and would rather keep it away from unloving hands unless I absolutely
> need to. Thanks.
>
> Marco

if this were an older car, the type with the fat rubber gasket holding
the glass in, it would be relatively easy to do it yourself. but in
this case, it's quite a tricky process. unless you have access to the
tools & adhesives necessary for this job, and the window sealant sold at
auto supply stores isn't up to it, then i suggest having the glass shop
do it. there's not much i won't do on a car myself, but certain jobs
are best left to those set up to do them properly. paint, alignment,
tires & [honda] glass are on that list.

Old June 5th 05, 07:32 PM
Jim Yanik

Eric > wrote in :

> You can find an assortment of suction cups at
> http://tinyurl.com/bysuz. However, keep in mind that you might be able
> to find a better price through different sources such as
> http://www.etoolcart.com/.
>
> Eric

Harbor Freight sells them for $5 USD,IIRC.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Old June 5th 05, 08:02 PM
Milleron

On Sat, 4 Jun 2005 21:51:36 -0700, "Michael Pardee"
> wrote:

>"MAT" > wrote in message
>> Hondarinos,
>>
>> I was spending a pleasant afternoon at my folks' house installing my new
>> suspension kit and everything was going great, finished up the front and
>> was raising the rear when I hear a BOOM and glass cascading down!!! My
>> car was a bumper length sticking out of the garage and the hatch was up,
>> the rear wiper levered against the top of the garage and the rest was
>> history. So after the shock and the 36 syllable hybrid curse that left my
>> mouth I had a beer and finished up.
>>
>> I want to order the glass and miscellanea and install it myself. I've
>> looked at the FSM and it looks pretty doable. Any gotchas with this? Is
>> the adhesive difficult to work with and easily obtainable? Are the
>> suction cups readily available and affordable? My insurance deductible is
>> 500 and I don't think I have a glass clause. After some of the stuff I've
>> read and a news report about shoddy workmanship, I'd rather try it myself.
>> I love my car and would rather keep it away from unloving hands unless I
>> absolutely need to. Thanks.
>>
>> Marco
>>

>I haven't done anything like that, and you may already know this warning...
>the glass is tempered and needs to be protected from sudden temperature
>changes or it will go BOOM before you even get it installed. You don't have
>to baby it, but if it is very hot from being in the sun or in the closed car
>and you bring it into a cool house or spray it with glass cleaner it might
>take offense.
>
>Mike

Mike,
You're describing how UNtempered glass would behave with sudden
changes in temperature. The tempering process makes the glass more
tolerant of sudden temperature changes, not less tolerant. Hence,
glassware used in labs is tempered. Tempering also makes the glass
break into small chunks, that don't have sharp edges, when it fails
under mechanical stress, and that's the main reason it's used in auto
windows -- so it doesn't turn into a bunch of razor-sharp blades in
accidents. Some local building codes require that first-floor
residential windows be made from tempered glass for the same reason.

Ron
Old June 5th 05, 09:19 PM
SoCalMike

Milleron wrote:
> accidents. Some local building codes require that first-floor
> residential windows be made from tempered glass for the same reason.

shower doors as well.
Old June 6th 05, 04:12 PM
MAT

Now that I've slept on it, I've placed a claim with insurance and will
handle it that way. My comprehensive deductable is 250, not as bad as the
500 collision deductable. Thanks for the advise. What a bonehead move it
was that day. How utterly frustrating and embarassing more than anything!

Does side window tinting give glass laminated strength? Some Guy Technology 20 May 16th 05 03:03 AM
Hybrid car cost of ownership Tom Del Rosso Technology 47 March 10th 05 12:32 AM
147 Rear Hatch Glass Ross Alfa Romeo 9 January 28th 05 02:10 PM
Automakers working on next generation of engines Ted Mittelstaedt Chrysler 16 October 10th 04 03:56 PM