Jeep 4.2L - Wont Idle!

Old July 10th 06, 05:25 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
The Reverend Natural Light

Default Jeep 4.2L - Wont Idle!

Greetings.

I'm working on a 1990 Jeep YJ, 4.2L I6, that won't idle. From 1200RPM
up, everything's fine. It runs smooth under power. It won't idle at
all.

The previous owner replaced the carb with an older non-computer
controlled unit. He made the decision to use the older carb because it
was cheaper and simpler and someone knowledgeable (?) told him to. I
believe it never ran right while he owned it.

I have:

1. Checked for vacuum leaks.
2. Made sure the EGR valve is completely closed.
3. Replaced spark plugs and checked cap and rotor (old plugs were worn
but tan).
4. Verified functional vacuum advance function.
5. Verified electric choke function.
6. Tried various settings of the idle bleed screws. Currently 2 turns
out.

No help.

Since it has an ECM controlling spark but no electronic carb, I figured
the computer controlled spark could be an issue. So, I picked up a new
spark control module for a non-ECM jeep and wired it up to the
distributor following the wiring diagram for an older jeep. Now there
is no computer control whatsoever.

No help with idle, but the throttle response seems a bit crisper.

It appears to be running lean at closed-throttle because it will idle
if I manually close the choke flapper. This leads me to believe that
the problem is not the common "idle tubes" issue which causes a rich
condition. It really feels like a bad vacuum leak but I can't find it.

I'm completely out of ideas. In all honesty, I'm a lot more
comfortable working on fuel injection. A grizzled Jeep veteran could
probably whack it with a hammer and it would purr like a kitten. Any
advice?

Thanks!

-rev

Old July 10th 06, 10:08 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Joe C

If it's the original Carter check out this site.
http://www.off-road.com/jeep/tech/engine/carter.html

ups.com...

Old July 11th 06, 01:02 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Simon Juncal

The Reverend Natural Light wrote:
> A grizzled Jeep veteran could
> probably whack it with a hammer and it would purr like a kitten. Any
> advice?

Whack it with a hammer....

Then swap in fuel injection

--
Simon
"I may be wrong, but I'm not uncertain." -- Robert A. Heinlein
Old July 11th 06, 03:55 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
The Reverend Natural Light

Joe C,

After all my dumbass troubleshooting, I went ahead and followed the
instructions to clear the idle tubes. Forget sludge in the tubes, one
of them had a huge chunk of metal stuck in it! I pulled the chunk out,
put the carb back together, and it runs great! This was a rebuilt carb
fresh from the parts store!!

Note to others: From all the notes I could find, clogged idle tubes
were supposed to look like a rich condition. Not in this case! It ran
like it had a horrible vacuum leak.

Thanks!

-rev

Oh, and apparantly someone already invented the old model ignition
module in the new model engine - it's called the "Nutter Bypass" and
there are far easier ways to do it.

Old July 11th 06, 02:42 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
RoyJ

When only one is clogged, the computer will try and take an average of
the two.

It doesn't surprise me to have a bad reman out of the box. Happens
regularly, way more often that I'm happy with.

Old July 12th 06, 06:35 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
bllsht[_1_]

In message .com>, "The
Reverend Natural Light" wrote:

>Joe C,
>
>After all my dumbass troubleshooting, I went ahead and followed the
>instructions to clear the idle tubes. Forget sludge in the tubes, one
>of them had a huge chunk of metal stuck in it! I pulled the chunk out,
>put the carb back together, and it runs great! This was a rebuilt carb
>fresh from the parts store!!
>
>Note to others: From all the notes I could find, clogged idle tubes
>were supposed to look like a rich condition. Not in this case! It ran
>like it had a horrible vacuum leak.

Those tubes are where the idle circuit 'picks up' it's fuel. If they're
plugged, it's gonna run lean.

Old July 14th 06, 01:38 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Bret Ludwig

RoyJ wrote:
> When only one is clogged, the computer will try and take an average of
> the two.
>
> It doesn't surprise me to have a bad reman out of the box. Happens
> regularly, way more often that I'm happy with.

If you are going to run a carbed vehicle in 2006, you NEED to get some
cores and tools and learn to rebuild your own. The reman places are all
in hick towns and the average age in those places is going UP because
they will not train new people. In fact, there are not that many young
people (exceppt illiterate low IQ illegal immigrants if a packinghouse
is nearby) around they could train if they wanted to. The workers are
all gatting so old and they keep cranking up the piece rate, quality is
plunging. That's true of carbs, distributors, starters, alternators.