Update, Regarding Idle Issues

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old November 30th 04, 06:20 PM
Caroline

"Chopface" > wrote
> Caroline wrote:
> > I can't quite tell from your post: Is the idle problem now fixed? If so, do

you
> > think it's because you installed a new oxygen sensor?

> The idle problem is fixed. I think it was a mixture of 3 things, each
> probably having its own effect. Depending on the order I addressed
> things my results may have varied. The three:
>
> Air in my coolant
>
> 02 sensor
>
> Idle adjusting screw turned up at least a couple full turns too much
> --for a car without air in its coolant and with a new 02 sensor--
>
> I could have gotten away with keeping my old 02 perhaps if I had just
> adjusted my idle after the bleeding, but it was not apparent that this
> could be a solution at the time. Once I did my valve lash (unrelated I
> imagine) and my 02 sensor, it became apparent to me that my idle was set
> too high with the srew. I do not feel bad about replacing the 02 at all.

Indeed. And now you have an emergency spare. :-)

> The car seems to run noticeably better with it, especially with regards
> to how it reacts to changes in throttle opening. I haven't driven it
> enough yet to get a good idea what my 'new' gas mileage is going to be.

Interesting diagnosis and troubleshooting, with so far a happy conclusion.

Perhaps it supports a "shot-gun" philosophy of automotive repairs: Fix all the
cheap (and probably due for replacement/adjustment within a year or so anyway)
stuff possible, then go looking for deeper problems.