more than the starter...??

Old July 8th 06, 09:50 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
[email protected]

Default more than the starter...??

Just installed a new starter, my engine is in semi good condition (it
sat in the driveway all winter so is rustier but I would start it once
a week at least and it has fresh oil) 1776cc dual carb with only like
5000 miles on her. It also has a new battery.

When I turn the key...the new starter only makes a whirring noise. The
first time I cranked it it actually fired, now it only makes the
whirring noise. Could it be a problem with a connection to the
starter, since the solenoid seems to be working??

I installed it as it says in the John Muir book, but we didnt take out
the old bushing in the transmission...the old one was in good working
order, and my brother wanted to just put the new starter in to see if
she would kick. no luck.

I'm completely lost at this point...its been months since I've been
able to drive her. I would almost rather just bring her into a shop
somewhere and pay the money. I just need her to run at this point.
Horrible attitude, I know.

any sugguestions, please!

frustrated,

Katie

Old July 9th 06, 01:59 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
One out of many Daves

BOSCH STARTER?????

oups.com...

Old July 9th 06, 02:05 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Sneaks

> wrote in message
oups.com...
> When I turn the key...the new starter only makes a whirring noise. The
> first time I cranked it it actually fired, now it only makes the
> whirring noise. Could it be a problem with a connection to the
> starter, since the solenoid seems to be working??

SNIP

> Katie

Does the engine turn over or just the starter? Starters can spin without
turning the engine over if the drive doesn't engage the flywheel. Have
someone check the engine visually and see if the pulley turns as you turn
the key if you are not sure. What was the issue with the old starter? Same
problem or something different? If the engine isn't spinning, I'd remove the
starter and have it checked for proper operation, any reputable parts store
can do that for you free of charge. It is not unheard of for a starter to be
defective, even new. From here, I will let the more experienced guys take
over...

Sneaks
'68 T1

Old July 9th 06, 04:20 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Speedy Jim

Sneaks wrote:

> > wrote in message
> oups.com...
>
>>When I turn the key...the new starter only makes a whirring noise. The
>>first time I cranked it it actually fired, now it only makes the
>>whirring noise. Could it be a problem with a connection to the
>>starter, since the solenoid seems to be working??

> SNIP
>

>>Katie

> Does the engine turn over or just the starter? Starters can spin without
> turning the engine over if the drive doesn't engage the flywheel. Have
> someone check the engine visually and see if the pulley turns as you turn
> the key if you are not sure. What was the issue with the old starter? Same
> problem or something different? If the engine isn't spinning, I'd remove the
> starter and have it checked for proper operation, any reputable parts store
> can do that for you free of charge. It is not unheard of for a starter to be
> defective, even new. From here, I will let the more experienced guys take
> over...
>
> Sneaks
> '68 T1

Except it will take an experienced store to know that you
can't bench test the Beetle starter since the armature has
no bearing at the end of the shaft :-)

As Sneaks said though, see if the engine is turning.
It's even possible that the flywheel teeth are gone.
Or....the crank has so much endplay that the flywheel
has moved out of the path of the starter pinion.

Speedy Jim
http://www.nls.net/mp/volks/

S-L-O-W Starter Turning Over [email protected] Chrysler 8 June 28th 06 01:50 AM
Run on starter poorsoul Ford Explorer 3 June 18th 06 10:11 AM
starter problems [email protected] Technology 5 May 21st 06 03:23 PM
starter current draw? N8N Technology 13 September 27th 05 02:34 PM
74 Cutlass with starting problem Amanda Robin Antique cars 12 October 26th 04 02:46 AM