What is ATF + 4 Trans Fluid

Old July 11th 06, 05:54 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Steve[_1_]

Default What is ATF + 4 Trans Fluid

wrote:

> > wrote in message
> . net...

. ..

http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...?TOPIC_ID=3675

>>What do you think, Steve?

> Going a little further, I have to service my 1997 Van with the 727 tranny
> soon.
> Would the AFT+4 quality fluid be advisable??

I've always read that the ATFs are fully backward compatible with all
the Dexrons, all the way to old Type A fluid. ATF+4 has the best thermal
and oxidation stability of any of the Dexron fluid family, but other
than that its friction modifier additves wouldn't help with any pre-1977
Torqueflites that don't have a TC lockup clutch, and its not *necessary*
on the lockup equipped 727 derivatives into the 90s. I'd be inclined to
use it in any Mopar transmission made after the early 90s... but I stick
with Dexron III/ MerconV for my pre-77 Torqueflites. Mercon V has almost
as good oxidation stability as ATF+4, and is a whole lot cheaper- it
just doesn't have the friction modifiers needed for 90s convertor lockup
clutches.

Old July 11th 06, 10:57 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
[email protected]

Steve wrote:
> wrote:

> > "Steve" > wrote in message

> >>2) ATF+4 is a friction-modified fluid required for the proper function
> >>of the torque convertor lockup clutch. Its NOT the same as Dexron,
> >>Mercon, Type F, or any other fluid.

http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...?TOPIC_ID=3675

> > What do you think, Steve?

> They always said that eventually the aftermarket would pick up ATF+4. I
> don't know specifically about Valvoline, but it wouldn't surprise me.
> What I DO know is that the additive package was developed by Texaco and
> a small chemical company whose name I forget

Lubrizol?

Old July 11th 06, 11:06 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
[email protected]

Steve wrote:

> I've always read that the ATFs are fully backward compatible with all
> the Dexrons,

I don't know about the case with Chryslers, but when Dexron III came
out, Honda owners discovered it wasn't compatible with their
transmissions. Actually some versions of Dexron II gave problems as
well, a couple of exceptions being Texaco Havoline and Unocal.