94 Camaro Z28, changed thermostat, now won't start

Old July 12th 06, 03:47 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Masospaghetti

Default 94 Camaro Z28, changed thermostat, now won't start

Hey all --

This is a friend's car, I helped him change his thermostat earlier
today. Only took about 30 minutes, but when he hooked everything back
up, the car won't start. It turns over strong but doesn't catch.

This is what we've done already:

-Car has plenty of fuel, can smell and see vapor coming out the intake.
-Checked one spark plug, had a visible blue arc.
-Removed the "resistor mod" the previous owner had installed (to richen
the mixture?)
-Replaced the temperature sender, as the original one's plug broke off.
-Disconnected and reconnected the battery.

Car occasionally wheezes when attempting to start but never acts like it
will catch. I was thinking the engine might be flooded. Any other ideas?
It's a 94 Camaro Z28, LT1, 115k miles on it.

I should mention that some antifreeze did get on the Optispark unit.

Thanks
-James
Old July 12th 06, 04:13 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
jeffcoslacker[_12_]

Masospaghetti Wrote:
> Hey all --
>
> This is a friend's car, I helped him change his thermostat earlier
> today. Only took about 30 minutes, but when he hooked everything back
> up, the car won't start. It turns over strong but doesn't catch.
>
> This is what we've done already:
>
> -Car has plenty of fuel, can smell and see vapor coming out the intake.
> -Checked one spark plug, had a visible blue arc.
> -Removed the "resistor mod" the previous owner had installed (to richen
> the mixture?)
> -Replaced the temperature sender, as the original one's plug broke off.
> -Disconnected and reconnected the battery.
>
> Car occasionally wheezes when attempting to start but never acts like
> it
> will catch. I was thinking the engine might be flooded. Any other
> ideas?
> It's a 94 Camaro Z28, LT1, 115k miles on it.
>
> I should mention that some antifreeze did get on the Optispark unit.
>
> Thanks
> -James

Make sure you didn't leave off any harness grounds that were supposed
to go on the t-stat studs, once I had a similar experience when I broke
a TPS switch on the same motor while doing a thermostat, and then it
wouldn't start but occaisionally sneezed and smelled of fuel vapor,
after much head scratching and cussing I decided to retrace my
tracks...turned out the parts store gave me the wrong TPS, and it was
commanding full rich mode because the temp signal was
incorrect....Optispark shouldn't be harmed by limited dousing, it's
just when the pump's been leaking into them for months that trouble
starts...

--
jeffcoslacker
jeffcoslacker's Profile: http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...?userid=219638