VW Smells bad

Old May 19th 06, 03:29 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

Default VW Smells bad

Just bought a 1970 VW Beetle Autostick. It stinks! As in really smells
bad inside. It's very dirty. Are there any tricks to cleaning this
thing, or just use a basic all purpose cleaner?

Old May 19th 06, 04:02 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

In article .com>,
"Elkmor" > wrote:

> Just bought a 1970 VW Beetle Autostick. It stinks! As in really smells
> bad inside. It's very dirty. Are there any tricks to cleaning this
> thing, or just use a basic all purpose cleaner?

well, what is the cause?
try setting a bucket of water/vinegar in the car whenever you're not
driving it. or maybe sprinkling baking soda around and then vacuuming
it up.
good luck.

--
If you see yourself in others, then whom can you harm?
Old May 19th 06, 05:00 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

On 19 May 2006 07:29:07 -0700, "Elkmor" > wrote:

>Just bought a 1970 VW Beetle Autostick. It stinks! As in really smells
>bad inside. It's very dirty. Are there any tricks to cleaning this
>thing, or just use a basic all purpose cleaner?

If it's biological odor (dog pee, sweaty guy, etc.), use Shout stain
remover. It has an enzymatic effect that reduces or eliminates such
odors.

-- Christian
Old May 19th 06, 05:05 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

"Elkmor" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Just bought a 1970 VW Beetle Autostick. It stinks! As in really smells
> bad inside. It's very dirty. Are there any tricks to cleaning this
> thing, or just use a basic all purpose cleaner?

I hope it is not from dampness in the insulation/sound-proofing behind
the back seat. In that case, removing and replacing is necessary. If it
belonged to a smoker, you might have issues with the headliner, too.

Oh, and every time I've taken apart old Bug seats I've found Dead Things
like baby mice in the stuffing, but they are usually all dried up and
odorless... enough.

(Anyone remember that Seinfeld episode about car BO? Terrifying! )

Old May 19th 06, 09:20 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

2 wrote:
> "Elkmor" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
>
>>Just bought a 1970 VW Beetle Autostick. It stinks! As in really smells
>>bad inside. It's very dirty. Are there any tricks to cleaning this
>>thing, or just use a basic all purpose cleaner?

> I hope it is not from dampness in the insulation/sound-proofing behind
> the back seat. In that case, removing and replacing is necessary. If it
> belonged to a smoker, you might have issues with the headliner, too.
>
> Oh, and every time I've taken apart old Bug seats I've found Dead Things
> like baby mice in the stuffing, but they are usually all dried up and
> odorless... enough.
>
> (Anyone remember that Seinfeld episode about car BO? Terrifying! )

Yep. Dampness can create mold growth not only behind the
back seat, but in the frt/rear seat padding, in door panels,
in headliner, etc.

And it is *very* difficult to eradicate. Masking it with
odor killers is not the answer.

Jim
Old May 20th 06, 03:04 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

Check the floors. When I got my 70 years ago it still had that foam/tar
board stuff on the floors and it was keeping the water underneath it. I did
have to replace the pans, but in taking out that stuff I go the water on my
hands and it really stunk.
George
oups.com...

Old May 26th 06, 10:45 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

My 1966 beetle went under 4 feet of salt water during hurricane katrina and
it doesnt stink... well the whole thing SUCKED, but the car was hosed out
with fresh water and allowed to dry out and it doesnt stink.... go figure...

dw

oups.com...