Initial CO2 Bubble Rate

Old January 28th 04, 05:56 AM
The Kenosha Kid

Default Initial CO2 Bubble Rate

I have a 55 gallon planted tank and I will install bottled CO2 within
the next two weeks.

What is a conservative bubble rate to start with, i.e. something below
the optimum which will give me a chance to slowly adjust up to the
right rate?
Old January 28th 04, 11:44 AM
Happy'Cam'per

Hi there

It depends on how you are going to be diffusing it into the water. For
instance, some people inject the co2 using a bell (upside down container)
that collects the co2 and it then dissolves into the water slowly. Other
folks inject it directly into their internal canister filters, this is a
very effective method BTW. If you do a search on google for Tom Barr's co2
diffuser this is probably the most effective way of dissolving c02 into the
water column.

Ideally you are trying to reach a target of about 20-25ppm c02. You can work
this out by getting yourself a KH and PH test kit. Download the handy co2
chart from Chuck Gadd's website and you're on your way. Take the readings
from the kh and ph kits and then use your chart to figure out what sort of
co2 levels you have.

To give an example. My kh is 6. My ph is about 6.9 after adding co2, if I
use the co2 chart it tells that I've got a reading of about 20ppm co2. I
personally inject the co2 directly into my internal canister filter, I have
a bubble rate of about 1 bubble per 2 seconds (30 bubbles a minute). My ph
out of the tap is about 8.3. Keeping the surface agitation down to a minimum
also helps to "hold" the co2 in the water and not let it escape into the
atmosphere (turn off your airstones).

If anything is unclear just ask and I'll try to elaborate a bit more if my
explanation is still fuzzy
--
**So long, and thanks for all the fish!**

Old January 28th 04, 12:00 PM
Eric Schreiber

The Kenosha Kid wrote:

What is a conservative bubble rate to start with, i.e. something below
the optimum which will give me a chance to slowly adjust up to the
right rate?

There is no real way to answer that question. The only way is to test
your water parameters frequently during the initial setup period, and
adjust bubble rate as necessary.

Read this page to understand the target you're shooting for, and how
to calculate your CO2 levels...

http://www.csd.net/~cgadd/aqua/art_plant_co2chart.htm

--
www.ericschreiber.com
Old January 28th 04, 08:36 PM
The Kenosha Kid

On Wed, 28 Jan 2004 12:44:06 +0200, "Happy'Cam'per" wrote:

[...]

I will be using an Aqua Medic circular reactor.

Bubble Bar Fleemo General 6 March 25th 04 06:37 PM
Bubble Rate in Calcium Reactor MarkW Reefs 4 January 8th 04 07:00 PM
Bubble Rate of Calcium Reactor MarkW Reefs 0 January 7th 04 07:36 PM
Pressurized CO2 & Nutrafin Bubble Counter/Diffuser -=Almazick=- Plants 1 September 27th 03 01:30 AM
Problem with steady bubble rate for calcium reactor AquaD3843 Reefs 1 September 7th 03 04:35 AM