DIY C02 accident! The stuff all pumped into tank, what now?

Old January 20th 04, 07:22 AM
Dave M. Picklyk

Default DIY C02 accident! The stuff all pumped into tank, what now?

In our 48gal. tank at work, some customer bumped into the box with the C02
bottles inside and tipped them over, causing them to send foam and junk
directly up the hose into the tank. All of the six beautiful turquois
rainbowfish died, six SAEs diedlk only 3 other types (big) of rainbowfish
and the pleco has survived. My co-worker managed to clean out lots of the
white goey stuff that started to grow on everything in the tank and put in a
carbon insert to start cleaning the water. He also did about a 50 % water
change already. The tank is starting to clear up but is still pretty cloudy.

Any suggestions? Should we totally rip down the tank and clean everything?
What would totally decontaminate the tank?

Thanx alot for any suggestions in this horrid accident!

Dave.
www.picklyk.com/aquascape

Old January 20th 04, 08:15 AM
Dinky

"Dave M. Picklyk" wrote in message
news:[email protected]
In our 48gal. tank at work, some customer bumped into the box with the C02
bottles inside and tipped them over, causing them to send foam and junk
directly up the hose into the tank. All of the six beautiful turquois
rainbowfish died, six SAEs diedlk only 3 other types (big) of rainbowfish
and the pleco has survived. My co-worker managed to clean out lots of the
white goey stuff that started to grow on everything in the tank and put in

carbon insert to start cleaning the water. He also did about a 50 % water
change already. The tank is starting to clear up but is still pretty

cloudy.

Any suggestions? Should we totally rip down the tank and clean everything?
What would totally decontaminate the tank?

IMO, you and your co-worker handled the accident quite well. It's just about
what I'd have done.

billy

Old January 25th 04, 04:25 AM
Robert Flory

"Dinky" wrote in message
hlink.net...

[...]

Ditto...
Thats what I did ;-) Turned the tank cherry red with cherry Jello

Bob