2 novice questions about plants in water

Old January 22nd 04, 04:04 AM
Nic. Santean

Default 2 novice questions about plants in water

Hello, I am having two questions about plants in a fish tank:

1. How can I fix plants which are free-floating (like hornwort) in the
gravel? I read in a book that they may be fixed with a band of tinfoil
(wound round the lower end of the stem) which will hold it down to the
bottom.

2. I also have a betta fish bowl in which I was advised to put a pothos cut
in order to root and provide some minimal filtration. I did so and both
pothos and betta are doing fine; except that I am getting this slimy coating
all over the bowl. When I change the water and remove the plant everything
is fine ; once I place the plant in the bowl I am getting again the slimy
thing. In extreme situations(when I delay changing the water), this slimy
coating turn visible: whitish filaments hanging on everything. It looks to
me like bacteria colonies. Can somebody please explain the phenomenon.

--
Cordially,

Nic. Santean
http://www.csd.uwo.ca/~nic/