accord keys

Old July 8th 05, 04:05 PM
stevie

Default accord keys

I have two keys to my 99 Accord 4 cyl EX.

Only one key, however, will start the car. The other key will unlock the
car but the car will not start-the 'key light' on the dash blinks. I could
not find in the owners manual how to activate this key for starting the car.

Is this a dealer procedure for activating the key??

Old July 8th 05, 07:59 PM
Ray

some keys do not have the chip inside so all the key can do is open the
door

other keys have the chip + the key must be programed

for you step 1 does your key have the chip inside?

Old July 12th 05, 04:11 AM
motsco_ _

stevie wrote:
> I have two keys to my 99 Accord 4 cyl EX.
>
> Only one key, however, will start the car. The other key will unlock the
> car but the car will not start-the 'key light' on the dash blinks. I could
> not find in the owners manual how to activate this key for starting the car.
>
> Is this a dealer procedure for activating the key??

--------------------------

Previous owner may have made a copy at the hardware store.
Non-transponder keys are a bit thinner and may not have a real HONDA 'H'
logo on it.

'Curly'

Old July 14th 05, 06:37 AM
Keith J

I assume that the keys look the same. The car came with 2 black keys and a
grey key, which is the valet key. All of these will start the car. If it
is not starting, it was either copied at the dealer and not programmed or
heck, not sure if you can even get the correct Honda key copied other
places.

This problem may require a trip to the Honda dealer.

Old July 14th 05, 01:33 PM
stevie

i checked and the keys look exactly alike. dealer wants about $100 to
program the non-starting key. dealer said magnet could have destroyed the
key, if it ever worked to start the car. i don't think it ever worked. it
is a honda key.

Old July 14th 05, 02:10 PM
motsco_ _

stevie wrote:
> i checked and the keys look exactly alike. dealer wants about $100 to
> program the non-starting key. dealer said magnet could have destroyed the
> key, if it ever worked to start the car. i don't think it ever worked. it
> is a honda key.

-------------------

Our '98 odyssey came with A valet key, a regular key, and a slightly
thinner Honda key. The thinner one has no chip in it, so I tagged it
'DOORS ONLY' because the Immobilizer icon on the dash will flash if I
try to use it. Some dealers charge a half-hour (or more) to reprogram /
cut new keys for you. They need your car and all the keys you own. they
said it's the same cost if you want one key or five done. I'm going to
buy a couple more 'chipped' blanks and get some fresh keys made. The old
ones are wearing thin anyhow because the former owner never had the
sense to lube his ignition lock. (use Lock-Ease aerosol)

'Curly'

suggestions to buy accord yahmed Honda 3 May 15th 05 08:02 PM
2005 Accord: iPod-friendly? Paul Wylie Honda 11 April 5th 05 09:09 PM
Honda OEM Parts Catalogs for Sale Joe Honda 0 February 12th 05 01:43 PM
2003 Accord power lock problem Steve Driska Honda 0 September 26th 04 04:02 AM
Stereo stays on without keys in ignition juliehicks75 General 2 July 13th 04 05:08 AM