How to shop for a used vehicle.

Old June 23rd 05, 07:36 PM
hanson

Default How to shop for a used vehicle.

Well, I know that I would like either a "2001 Nissan Frontier 4x4 XE"
or a "2001 Nissan Frontier Desert Runner XE". I am not that concerned
with the color.

Why the XE? I like the black wheel wells, instead of the color-coded
ones.

Why the Desert Runner(2x4)XE or the 4x4 XE? I like the higher stance.

How would you suggest shopping for such a vehicle? Here are some
questions I have:

Do you suggest I go to a dealership? search the web? Look in
magazines like "autopages"? Should I buy from a private owner?
Generally speaking, where will I get the best deal?

Thanks for any thoughts on this matter!

Old June 24th 05, 06:49 PM
Bowgus

Assuming you want a turn key vehicle, not project vehicle, I'd buy from a
reputable (Nissan) dealership. A reputable dealership will do a thorough
inspection/parts replacement/etc. before putting the vehicle up for sale
(unless it's an "as is" sale) and has the expertise to do it right. Now, if
it's say the neighbor selling, and I knew the vehicle has been well
maintained etc ... that would be different. My opinion, the "best deal"
would be at the dealership ... e.g., buy a used jeep at a reputable chrysler
dealership, a toyota at a reputable toyota dealership, ... oh yeah, and a
nissan at a ... :-)

Old June 25th 05, 04:50 AM
Ashton Crusher

On 23 Jun 2005 11:36:37 -0700, "hanson" >
wrote:

>Well, I know that I would like either a "2001 Nissan Frontier 4x4 XE"
>or a "2001 Nissan Frontier Desert Runner XE". I am not that concerned
>with the color.
>
>Why the XE? I like the black wheel wells, instead of the color-coded
>ones.
>
>Why the Desert Runner(2x4)XE or the 4x4 XE? I like the higher stance.
>

>How would you suggest shopping for such a vehicle? Here are some
>questions I have:
>
>Do you suggest I go to a dealership? search the web? Look in
>magazines like "autopages"? Should I buy from a private owner?
>Generally speaking, where will I get the best deal?
>
>Thanks for any thoughts on this matter!

Since you have such specific ideas for what you want you'll probably
have to consider all sources for possible vehicles so look everywhere
you can. Suggested starting points are cars.com, autotrader.com, and
ebay.com . Also look up the "blue book values" on www.kbb.com and
www.edmunds.com and www.autoprices.com . Some, or all of them, also
have links to used car sales.

In my experience you'll get a better deal from a private party and
will have a better chance of actually getting at least the partial
truth about the vehicles past history but the starting point for
everyone you talk to is that everyone will lie to you. You have to
let the vehicle speak to you. Look it over closely for evidence of
accident repairs, mechanical repairs, general wear and tear, etc. A
properly maintained vehicle driven the typical 12,000 per year will
NOT have a bunch of oil and grease built up on any of it's parts, the
carpets, upholstery and pedal won't be worn looking.. If you see a
lot of parts covered with a layer of caked grease and oil and it's
only got 110,000 miles on it, it's probably more like 210,000. If you
have the time, look at everything that's available near you even if
it's not really what you are looking for just so you get an idea of
what the basic vehicle should sound like and ride like if it's in good
shape, it will make it possible for you to do a decent evaluation of
any that you do find that do meet your criteria.

ok i'm buying a 2001 GT convertable Defiant Ford Mustang 5 May 21st 05 03:31 PM
Guidance sought: part-time second vehicle to take out on the beach waywardguy 4x4 3 May 13th 05 02:24 AM
Vehicle monitoring. Tom Cooper Dodge 1 April 26th 05 08:31 PM
Car Fax - how infallible ?? Lawrence Glickman Technology 0 January 6th 05 10:59 PM
Article: GPS Vehicle Tracking System Issues for the Buyer Johann Blake General 0 January 16th 04 11:42 AM