Locker abuse

Old June 1st 05, 09:19 PM
Mike Romain

Not on any I have taken apart....

Mike

Old June 1st 05, 09:44 PM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Jeff?????????
The Original Poster was worried about a loose deflector shield
that's ordinarily pressed on to the axle shaft, or just plastic on later
model Dana 30s:
http://web.archive.org/web/200407240...s_DSCF0013.JPG
And you think his talking about the wheel bearing seal??????????
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old June 1st 05, 09:50 PM
Mike Romain

We are talking apples and oranges. Bill and I are talking the D 30
differential, not the outer hubs. The axles are floating with only one
inboard bearing and seal each side.

My outer hubs have a dust seal, then a grease seal, then a bearing, my
spindles have a grease seal and a needle bearing set.

I don't normally mess with the hubs if doing the u-joint, I save the
hubs for brake time. The whole hub pops out to do the u-joint, why have
the rest in pieces. Last u-joint job was on the Cherokee and took an
hour including going to get the parts.

Thinking about it, if he was banging around hard enough to pop the dust
seal off the axle, he might want to think about all of the seals and the
spindle bearing and seal....

Mike

Old June 1st 05, 11:01 PM
Jeff Strickland

The Original Poster asked,
"... I'm looking for advice on the replacement job. This is for an '85 CJ-7
Dana 30 - passenger's side. Are there any gotcha's out there? Does ..."

I don't know what you are smoking, but I could use some.

Old June 1st 05, 11:08 PM
Jeff Strickland

Apples, oranges, and Bill. That explains alot. (Where did the HTML come from, BTW?)

How can you do ujoints on a CJ7 front axle without messing with the hubs? The spindles have to come out to get the axles out, the hubs have to come off to get the spindles off.

Old June 1st 05, 11:10 PM
Mike Romain

Naw, your stuff is better Jeff....
;-)

"One thing that has me
worried is the metal "ring" at the outer end of the axle tube."

LOL!

Mike

Old June 1st 05, 11:14 PM
Jeff Strickland

Very strange, my newsclient decided that it would be fun to post in HTML,
even though I have it set to post in Plain Text, and to disregard what the
other people post with and convert it to Plain Text. Maybe my PC is has the
latest in Virual Enhancements. These are automatically installed, you know

Old June 1st 05, 11:18 PM
Mike Romain

I am set for plain text, don't know where it grabbed that.

I obviously have as good a drugs as you guys and am mixing CJ and YJ/TJ
hubs up. Those I leave alone. I don't touch the big nut.

I still lube the hubs at brake time.

Mike

Old June 1st 05, 11:21 PM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Jeff???????????? WILL YOU REREAD IT!!!!!!!!!!!! PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!
"Well, I've had my front ARB a few weeks now. Yesterday, I actually
needed it for the first time. I was climbing a steep rock hill. And so,
naturally, I just busted my first front axle U-joint. I bought a H-D
replacement - but hopefully this won't make some more expensive part
the weak link.
I'm looking for advice on the replacement job. This is for an '85 CJ-7
Dana 30 - passenger's side. Are there any gotcha's out there? Does
anyone know any special tricks that would help me out? Do I also need
to replace any seals or gaskets while I'm at it? One thing that has me
worried is the metal "ring" at the outer end of the axle tube. I guess
it's just a pressed in seal or guide. It's been knocked loose by the
wobbling axle shaft. Does it press in place? Is it just a splash seal?
I don't see this part on the exploded views in the books or catalogs I

--
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old June 2nd 05, 12:14 AM
Jeff Strickland

"L.W. (ßill) Hughes III" > wrote in message
> Jeff???????????? WILL YOU REREAD IT!!!!!!!!!!!! PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!
> "Well, I've had my front ARB a few weeks now. Yesterday, I actually
> needed it for the first time. I was climbing a steep rock hill. And so,
> naturally, I just busted my first front axle U-joint. I bought a H-D
> replacement - but hopefully this won't make some more expensive part
> the weak link.
> I'm looking for advice on the replacement job.

THIS IS FOR AN '85 CJ-7 DANA 30

Where does it say that he is working on a YJ, or anything other than an '85
CJ?

I don't know what you are smoking, but I could use some.

Just installed locker Eric Jeep 20 May 19th 05 04:49 AM
choosing a selectable locker janette Jeep 7 March 3rd 05 07:26 PM
Front diff, locker or limited slip? [email protected] 4x4 15 February 17th 05 02:57 PM
Headlight Abuse Matthew Russotto Driving 0 January 3rd 05 05:21 PM