Consumer Reports rates the 300 and 300C

Old December 10th 04, 02:10 PM
KokomoKid

"Dave Gower" > wrote in message

> "Bill 2" > wrote
>
> > The big test will be how these cars hold up in five years.

> The interesting question here is not I think what happens to the 300,

which
> is fairly conventional, but the CVT transmission in the Ford. If it

doesn't
> have legs Ford as a company worldwide could be in big trouble. CVTs aren't
> new - they've been sold in Europe since the 50s - and Ford has been
> experimenting with then for the past 40 years, but the problem as I
> understand it is they don't scaled up well. They're OK on a 100hp car, but
> on the 200-hp engine standard in the Freestyle and 500 that's where the
> question mark lies, even more so for the 250-hp 3.5 engine option to be

made
> available in a couple of years.

Audi has been using CVT's in ~200hp cars for a few years, and as far as I
know, relibility has been ok. Unless Ford is using the same ones Audi uses,
they are probably a new unit and I, for one, wouldn't want to buy one for a
couple years. On a related note, does anyone know the source of the 6-speed
used in the FWD 500? It is from Japan, so I would guess the supplier might
be Mazda, but that's just a guess.

Old December 10th 04, 03:39 PM
Steve

Bill 2 wrote:

> "Joe" > wrote in message
>
>>>I pity anyone who regards their vehicle as merely a "transportation

>>appliance"
>>
>>>but can understand how any Ford product (excluding the new Mustang)

> could
>
>>>be/would be/is regarded as merely an "appliance".

>>If you want to study a group of them, these people are easy to spot by

> their
>
>>Hondas.

> And Toyota.

Or any other UGI (universal generic import).
Old December 10th 04, 03:39 PM
Steve

Old December 10th 04, 10:20 PM
Bill Putney

Dave Gower wrote:

> The interesting question here is not I think what happens to the 300, which
> is fairly conventional, but the CVT transmission in the Ford. If it doesn't
> have legs Ford as a company worldwide could be in big trouble. CVTs aren't
> new - they've been sold in Europe since the 50s - and Ford has been
> experimenting with then for the past 40 years...

For the record, also Subaru's Justy in (IIRC), late 80's/early 90's.

Bill Putney
adddress with the letter 'x')
Old December 10th 04, 10:20 PM
Bill Putney

Old December 10th 04, 10:52 PM
Art

"Bill Putney" > wrote in message
> Dave Gower wrote:
>
>> The interesting question here is not I think what happens to the 300,
>> which is fairly conventional, but the CVT transmission in the Ford. If it
>> doesn't have legs Ford as a company worldwide could be in big trouble.
>> CVTs aren't new - they've been sold in Europe since the 50s - and Ford
>> has been experimenting with then for the past 40 years...

> For the record, also Subaru's Justy in (IIRC), late 80's/early 90's.

Yep the Subaru CVT did not hold up and GM just closed the design shop on
their CVT. Will be interesting if FOrd can make it work.

Old December 10th 04, 10:52 PM
Art

Old December 11th 04, 03:15 AM
KokomoKid

"Art" > wrote in message
k.net...

> "Bill Putney" > wrote in message
> > Dave Gower wrote:
> >
> >> The interesting question here is not I think what happens to the 300,
> >> which is fairly conventional, but the CVT transmission in the Ford. If

it
> >> doesn't have legs Ford as a company worldwide could be in big trouble.
> >> CVTs aren't new - they've been sold in Europe since the 50s - and Ford
> >> has been experimenting with then for the past 40 years...

> > For the record, also Subaru's Justy in (IIRC), late 80's/early 90's.
> >

> Yep the Subaru CVT did not hold up and GM just closed the design shop on
> their CVT. Will be interesting if FOrd can make it work.

Apparently Audi's works, but I think the biggest engine they use it with is
the 1.8 turbo of about 170hp.

Old December 11th 04, 03:15 AM
KokomoKid

k.net...

Old December 11th 04, 01:18 PM
Dave Gower

"KokomoKid" > wrote

<...does anyone know the source of the 6-speed
> used in the FWD 500? It is from Japan, so I would guess the supplier
> might
> be Mazda, but that's just a guess.

It's someone called Aisin. see
http://www.autonews.com/files/sae/saec.htm

The best source of info on the Ford 500 I've found is
http://www.myford500.com