2001 Accord Brake noise

Old November 8th 06, 01:51 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
kobehater

Default 2001 Accord Brake noise

I have had this problem constantly since I bought the car in 2001. The
front brakes rattle like the pads are always loose. No matter how many
times i get the brakes done by Midas, Honda, or any other brake shop,
it always start making this noise VERY soon afterward. One Honda
dealer said that it's a known problem, but offered no solution. Am I
the only person on earth getting this, and how do I fix it? HELP!!!

Old November 8th 06, 12:13 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
TeGGeR®

"kobehater" > wrote in news:1162950712.806345.127730
@b28g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:

> I have had this problem constantly since I bought the car in 2001. The
> front brakes rattle like the pads are always loose. No matter how many
> times i get the brakes done by Midas, Honda, or any other brake shop,
> it always start making this noise VERY soon afterward. One Honda
> dealer said that it's a known problem, but offered no solution. Am I
> the only person on earth getting this, and how do I fix it? HELP!!!

It's a known problem with some light truck models, but not with the Accord.

You need somebody knowledgeable to have a look at the brakes.

Possible common causes:
1) Pads very loose on mount bracket
2) Anti-rattle spring in caliper is bent
3) Rust buildup

Item #1 is the problem with the CR-V, Odyssey, etc.

Is the noise comng from front or rear?

--
TeGGeR®

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
www.tegger.com/hondafaq/
Old November 9th 06, 12:55 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
kobehater

> It's a known problem with some light truck models, but not with the Accord.
>
> You need somebody knowledgeable to have a look at the brakes.
>
> Possible common causes:
> 1) Pads very loose on mount bracket
> 2) Anti-rattle spring in caliper is bent
> 3) Rust buildup
>
> Item #1 is the problem with the CR-V, Odyssey, etc.
>
> Is the noise comng from front or rear?
>
> --
> TeGGeR®
>
> The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
> www.tegger.com/hondafaq/

It's coming from the front only, and that's exactly what it sounds
like, the pads are loose. I'll look into the loose mount (i honestly
think this is what easily gets loose for some reason) and the spring.

Old November 9th 06, 02:58 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
TeGGeR®

"kobehater" > wrote in
oups.com:

>> It's a known problem with some light truck models, but not with the
>> Accord.
>>
>> You need somebody knowledgeable to have a look at the brakes.
>>
>> Possible common causes:
>> 1) Pads very loose on mount bracket
>> 2) Anti-rattle spring in caliper is bent
>> 3) Rust buildup
>>
>> Item #1 is the problem with the CR-V, Odyssey, etc.
>>
>> Is the noise comng from front or rear?
>>

> It's coming from the front only, and that's exactly what it sounds
> like, the pads are loose. I'll look into the loose mount (i honestly
> think this is what easily gets loose for some reason) and the spring.

That mount bracket is on there pretty tight. If it ever got loose you'd
have a very severe problem.

When the caliper is pressed over the pads, the anti-rattle spring will
need to be squished to get the pins to line up with the bolt holes in
the caliper. If there's no resistance, then the spring is bent or
missing.

Maybe also see if the piston is behaving properly, to make sure it
s not somehow retracting too far into the caliper when you let go of the
pedal. How's your pedal travel? Do you feel the first hints of braking
force within a half-inch of pedal travel?

Point the car downhill in NEUTRAL, hold it with the parking brake,
release the PB to let it roll a bit, then push the foot brake and watch
how far it goes before you start to feel the first signs of braking
effort.