95 Integra oil leak

Old November 7th 06, 10:46 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Nick

Default 95 Integra oil leak

I have a problem with an oil leak which I had thought was related to a
bad cylinder head gasket. I have replaced it but from the picture it
appears that the circle gasket to the left of the cylinder head is
leaking. Does this gasket pop out with a screwdriver or is it held in
place by the mounting piece above it with the two screws?

http://s102.photobucket.com/albums/m...nch =imgAnch3

Thanks in Advance,

Nick

Old November 7th 06, 10:56 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
TeGGeR®

Nick > wrote in
:

> I have a problem with an oil leak which I had thought was related to a
> bad cylinder head gasket. I have replaced it but from the picture it
> appears that the circle gasket to the left of the cylinder head is
> leaking. Does this gasket pop out with a screwdriver or is it held in
> place by the mounting piece above it with the two screws?
>

> http://s102.photobucket.com/albums/m94/npolite/?

action=view&current=IMG
> _0034.jpg&refPage=&imgAnch=imgAnch3

You didn't replace the "cylinder head gasket" you replaced the valve
cover gasket.

The leak in question is from the exhaust cam end plug. To fix, you must
remove the valve cover again.

Turn the engine BY HAND until the cam lobes at that end of the exhaust
camshaft are pointing straight up to the sky, then undo the end cam
bearing cap. At that point, the end plug may be removed and replaced.

Clean around the bearing cap before you take it off, so you don't drop
dirt into the bearing.

When you put the cam bearing cap back, smear a VERY thin skin of
Permatex Ultra Grey on the bolt mating surfaces of the bearing cap,
making certain you don't put so much it will squeeze into the camshaft
space. Then replace the cap and torque to SEVEN FOOT POUNDS. DO NOT
OVERTORQUE!!!!!!

--
TeGGeR®

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
www.tegger.com/hondafaq/
Old November 8th 06, 11:08 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Nick

Thanks for the help Tegger...I would have had a heck of a time trying
to get the parts guy to find it since I didn't know the name of that
part; he even had to get someone else to look it up for him.

It's raining here today so I'll put that on tomorrow. One thing I
can't get is what it's use if for? Do other trim Integras have a use
for this connection that mine doesn't?

Thanks,
Nick

:

Old November 8th 06, 11:51 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
TeGGeR®

Nick > wrote in news:dko4l2d0ddtlnjcou2p0lo2n1m4htnenpd@
4ax.com:

> On Tue, 7 Nov 2006 22:56:33 +0000 (UTC), "TeGGeR®" >
> wrote:
>

>>Turn the engine BY HAND until the cam lobes at that end of the exhaust
>>camshaft are pointing straight up to the sky, then undo the end cam
>>bearing cap. At that point, the end plug may be removed and replaced.
>>
>>Clean around the bearing cap before you take it off, so you don't drop
>>dirt into the bearing.
>>
>>When you put the cam bearing cap back, smear a VERY thin skin of
>>Permatex Ultra Grey on the bolt mating surfaces of the bearing cap,
>>making certain you don't put so much it will squeeze into the camshaft
>>space. Then replace the cap and torque to SEVEN FOOT POUNDS. DO NOT
>>OVERTORQUE!!!!!!

> Thanks for the help Tegger...I would have had a heck of a time trying
> to get the parts guy to find it since I didn't know the name of that
> part; he even had to get someone else to look it up for him.

He could have always called you around the parts counter or swung the
monitor around and had you point at it.

He has drawings of all the parts of the car and where they go in
relation to other parts in the same area. Knowing the name is not
necessary.

> It's raining here today so I'll put that on tomorrow. One thing I
> can't get is what it's use if for? Do other trim Integras have a use
> for this connection that mine doesn't?

The plug is there to fill a hole that used to be used for a crank angle
sensor or something like that. Honda later moved it inside the
distributor, but decided to save a bit of cash by not altering the
castings in that area.

The B-series had that plug until...oh...I dunno. Maybe always?