Best roll bar for head clearance?

Old December 2nd 04, 02:51 PM
John McClary

Default Best roll bar for head clearance?

Hi folks,

I posted this same question on Miata.net, but I'd like to get some input
from this board too.

I've read several threads on the topic of rollbars, but I'm hoping to find a
more definitive answer.

I want a roll bar (not style bar), but am concerned about knocking my melon
on it all the time (or ever). I'm about six feet tall and sit straight up
with my seat all the way back. My head is over the top of the seat and
occasionally contacts the hardtop on large bumps. Yes the roll bar must also
work with the hardtop, but no glass window for the soft top.

Can anyone suggest the best roll bar for head clearance, not just vertical,
but also fore and aft? The ones I've been considering so far are the Hard
Dog M2 Sport, Hard Dog Hard Core Hard Top and the Brainstorm Competition
(although from the reviews, the Brainstorms might have some manufacturing
variance issues?).

Thanks for any insight you can provide,
John

Old December 2nd 04, 04:31 PM
Lanny Chambers

In article <a6Frd.186523$G15.19651@fed1read03>,
"John McClary" > wrote:

> I want a roll bar (not style bar), but am concerned about knocking my melon
> on it all the time (or ever). I'm about six feet tall and sit straight up
> with my seat all the way back. My head is over the top of the seat and
> occasionally contacts the hardtop on large bumps. Yes the roll bar must also
> work with the hardtop, but no glass window for the soft top.

The HDHC Hard Top sits farther back than the Hard Core or Sport bars.
The HD Deuce (twin hoop) probably offers the most clearance, but it's
not SCCA approved, if that's important to you.

Remember that more clearance = less protection.

--
Lanny Chambers, St. Louis, USA
'94C
Old December 2nd 04, 05:56 PM
Joe Feise

Lanny Chambers wrote on 12/2/2004 7:31:
> In article <a6Frd.186523$G15.19651@fed1read03>,
> "John McClary" > wrote:
>

>>I want a roll bar (not style bar), but am concerned about knocking my melon
>>on it all the time (or ever). I'm about six feet tall and sit straight up
>>with my seat all the way back. My head is over the top of the seat and
>>occasionally contacts the hardtop on large bumps. Yes the roll bar must also
>>work with the hardtop, but no glass window for the soft top.

> The HDHC Hard Top sits farther back than the Hard Core or Sport bars.
> The HD Deuce (twin hoop) probably offers the most clearance, but it's
> not SCCA approved, if that's important to you.

I have the HD Deuce, and I love it. No problem with my 6'0'' and the
seat all the way back.

-Joe
Old December 3rd 04, 04:13 PM
Phil Edwards

Joe Feise > wrote in message >...
> Lanny Chambers wrote on 12/2/2004 7:31:
> > In article <a6Frd.186523$G15.19651@fed1read03>,
> > "John McClary" > wrote:
> >

> >>I want a roll bar (not style bar), but am concerned about knocking my melon
> >>on it all the time (or ever). I'm about six feet tall and sit straight up
> >>with my seat all the way back. My head is over the top of the seat and
> >>occasionally contacts the hardtop on large bumps. Yes the roll bar must also
> >>work with the hardtop, but no glass window for the soft top.

> > The HDHC Hard Top sits farther back than the Hard Core or Sport bars.
> > The HD Deuce (twin hoop) probably offers the most clearance, but it's
> > not SCCA approved, if that's important to you.

> I have the HD Deuce, and I love it. No problem with my 6'0'' and the
> seat all the way back.
>
> -Joe

I also have HD Duece and have no problems [only 5'8'', but not even
close to my head] with the seat full back. I liked the duece because
there is less rearward vision blocked.

Phil
Old December 5th 04, 04:19 PM
John McClary

"Lanny Chambers" > wrote in message "The HDHC Hard
Top sits farther back than the Hard Core or Sport bars."

Now I'm confused. I spoke on the phone with Tom at Bethania Garage and I
could have sworn that he told me the Hard Bar Sport and M2 Sport sat further
back than the Hard Core, and, I think, he said that the sport bars are in
the same position as the HCHT. I'm going to have to call him again to make
sure I got the story straight. As I recall, he said he has the same
clearance issues as I and he pefers the M1 Hard Bar Sport because it offers
the best head clearance, is technically a better rollbar than the M2 because
of the straight diagonals and the 1/4 inch smaller diameter tubing makes it
easier to make the seatbelts retract properly than the HCHT.

I'm not interested in the Duece, I'm not crazy about the look and I don't
want to trade that much protection for the extra clearance.

BTW: Bethania Garage is offering fre shipping on their roll bars until
Christmas.

John

Old December 5th 04, 04:33 PM
Lanny Chambers

In article <pGFsd.199504$G15.103618@fed1read03>,
"John McClary" > wrote:

> Now I'm confused. I spoke on the phone with Tom at Bethania Garage and I
> could have sworn that he told me the Hard Bar Sport and M2 Sport sat further
> back than the Hard Core, and, I think, he said that the sport bars are in
> the same position as the HCHT.

Believe Tom, not me. I occasionally make mistakes, but he makes the
rollbars.

--
Lanny Chambers, St. Louis, USA
'94C
Old December 8th 04, 01:26 AM
L Bader

Are you driving an NA or NB ?

I am looking at the Duece, but am wondering how well it will (or will
not) work with a Robbins no-zip rear-glass top...

( And Lanny, why is the Deuce not SCCA approved? )

Cheers!

- L

On Thu, 02 Dec 2004 08:56:00 -0800, Joe Feise > wrote:

>Lanny Chambers wrote on 12/2/2004 7:31:
>> In article <a6Frd.186523$G15.19651@fed1read03>,
>> "John McClary" > wrote:
>>

>>>I want a roll bar (not style bar), but am concerned about knocking my melon
>>>on it all the time (or ever). I'm about six feet tall and sit straight up
>>>with my seat all the way back. My head is over the top of the seat and
>>>occasionally contacts the hardtop on large bumps. Yes the roll bar must also
>>>work with the hardtop, but no glass window for the soft top.

>> The HDHC Hard Top sits farther back than the Hard Core or Sport bars.
>> The HD Deuce (twin hoop) probably offers the most clearance, but it's
>> not SCCA approved, if that's important to you.

>I have the HD Deuce, and I love it. No problem with my 6'0'' and the
>seat all the way back.
>
>-Joe

'97 STO, "Chouki"

// Change TEJAS to TX to reply via eMail //
Old December 8th 04, 01:51 AM
Grant Edwards

On 2004-12-08, L Bader > wrote:

> I am looking at the Duece, but am wondering how well it will (or will
> not) work with a Robbins no-zip rear-glass top...

I seem to recall reading somewhere on the HD web site that the
one with diagnal braces won't, but the one with braces going
straight back will. Call hard-dog and ask.

> ( And Lanny, why is the Deuce not SCCA approved? )

IIRC, it doesn't stick up high enough.

--
Grant Edwards grante Yow! Why don't you
at ever enter and CONTESTS,
Old December 8th 04, 02:19 AM
Grant Edwards

On 2004-12-08, Grant Edwards > wrote:

>> I am looking at the Duece, but am wondering how well it will (or will
>> not) work with a Robbins no-zip rear-glass top...

> I seem to recall reading somewhere on the HD web site that the
> one with diagnal braces won't, but the one with braces going
> straight back will. Call hard-dog and ask.

^not

--
Grant Edwards grante Yow! "DARK SHADOWS"
at is on!! Hey, I think
Old December 8th 04, 06:03 AM
Joe Feise

L Bader wrote on 12/7/2004 16:26:
> Are you driving an NA or NB ?

NB ('99)

> I am looking at the Duece, but am wondering how well it will (or will
> not) work with a Robbins no-zip rear-glass top...

No idea, but it works fine with the NB rear-glass top.

-Joe