news from The Samba .... looks like Trends is gone

Old December 15th 04, 02:06 AM
Bob

I just got a call last night from VW Trends asking me to renew my
subscription for another year at $1.50 an issue. I declined but it is
strange they'd be selling subscriptions if they're stopping the magazine.
Old December 15th 04, 03:06 AM
jjs

Bob Hoover is rumored to have typed:

> You'd have to live in a cave not to have seen this one coming.
>Magazines are little more than a reflection of their editor. In the
>case of Ryan Price, who repeatedly showed his readers how little he
>knew about Volkswagens, grammar and the English language in general, it
>was pretty obvious the job was a gimme rather than a position won on
>merit.

WTF do you know about publishing magazines, Bob Hoover? Now sit back and
relax for a minute and let me air this out a bit. Magazines like Trends are
not made by the editor. It's made by the publisher who has certain metrics
regarding price & performance which largely point to advertising yields. An
editor can be a living wreck of a writer and editorialist when the book
(magazine) is making money. If the magazine continues to make money and the
editor hasn't hurt the bottom line he's allowed to rant on. Believe me, mags
like his are not supported by a majority who can read or write critically.
That rather leaves you and the rest of us in the soup, eh?

It's something else that tubes the ship.

Sure, he's a snot-nosed ****up know-nothing but that's not what does in the
magazine.

Tough ****, Bob Hoover. It's not about your better taste or knowledge, but
something else entirely different. And I rather doubt you would REALLY have
it any other way.

jjs

Old December 15th 04, 03:26 AM
Chris Perdue

>From: "jjs"

>Tough ****, Bob Hoover. It's not about your better taste or knowledge, but
>something else entirely different. And I rather doubt you would REALLY have
>it any other way.

John, while we all know you have experience with magazines, you are overlooking
one MAJOR thing....the circulation of VWTrends has gone WAY down in the past
few years...know why? give you one guess....alot of people can't stand the
editor....they don't like his attitude, his writing, or the direction he has
pointed "his" magazine...therefore "the people" have spoken....while i
understand that the small amount of money made on subscriptios is trivial to a
publisher, advertisers do not advertise in a magazine that nobody buys...it
really has nothing to do with "knowing about publishing magazines" but more to
do with basic business economics....if you don't make money you
fold....incidently my subscription expires March 05....guess it is "up in the
air' whether i will get the last issue or not...<G>

-------------------
Chris Perdue
"I'm ever so thankful for the Internet; it has allowed me to keep a finger in
the pie and to make some small contribution to those younger who will carry the
air-cooled legend forward"
Jim Mais
Feb. 2004
Old December 15th 04, 03:39 AM
jjs

"Chris Perdue" > wrote in message
> >From: "jjs"

>>Tough ****, Bob Hoover. It's not about your better taste or knowledge, but
>>something else entirely different. And I rather doubt you would REALLY
>>have
>>it any other way.
>>

> John, while we all know you have experience with magazines, you are
> overlooking
> one MAJOR thing....the circulation of VWTrends has gone WAY down in the
> past
> few years...know why? give you one guess....alot of people can't stand the
> editor....they don't like his attitude, his writing, or the direction he
> has
> pointed "his" magazine...therefore "the people" have spoken....

Hello, Chris:

If the cause of the problems was the editor, he'd be out in a heart-beat. I
will wager that the problem was that the publisher has wanted to off this
magazine for some time and let it die with the editor. It's like letting a
bug eat away an unprofitable appendage. With such a rationalization the
publisher is off the hook and he can say "We tried", whether he did or not.
Nowadays, it is all about short-term crap. I hate it, too.

Old December 15th 04, 04:06 AM
Chris Perdue

>From: "jjs"

>Hello, Chris:
>
>If the cause of the problems was the editor, he'd be out in a heart-beat. I
>will wager that the problem was that the publisher has wanted to off this
>magazine for some time and let it die with the editor. It's like letting a
>bug eat away an unprofitable appendage. With such a rationalization the
>publisher is off the hook and he can say "We tried", whether he did or not.
>Nowadays, it is all about short-term crap. I hate it, too.

John, that does sound both like a feasible and reasonable answer....I
personally feel that the mag was doomed shortly after Ryan took over, whether
because of him or because he had no real "backing" along with him....either
way, Ryan did things with the mag that the readers did not like...I know you
participate/read the STF and there have been several threads there over the
years and a large number of subscribers did indeed cancel their
subscriptions....and we have no idea how many people that read the STF also
decided(quietly) to drop the mag also....either way i feel that it is BAD for
"US"....the "enthusiasts" will be the ones hurt, because competition makes the
products better....
-------------------
Old December 15th 04, 04:16 AM
GaryH

Some here may say it is because of the editor or for whatever other reason.
I don't think it has anything to do with that. People have no need for
magazines like VW Trends when they publish the same type of stuff over and
over that can be found on the internet for free. The internet is killing
the paper and magazine business in general.

Old December 15th 04, 05:51 AM
Chris Perdue

>From: John Willis

>, I have to say
>they cannot possibly compete with the technical information available
>here or on STF (not that I've read much over there either.)

oh guranteed......the magazines serve a purpose, and it is not a technical
resource anymore....they are for showing off, and hopefully snagging new people
into our little world....hard to imagine, but the guy that is "into" modified
imports(hondas/etc) could be the next big inovator in *our* vw scene because he
saw a "phat azz" bug on the cover of a magazine while checking out "riceboy
tuner mag".....

>The competition is out there. ramva is one of the competitors.

and a far more reliable source of info....i wish i had the internet and all its
info when i was gaining my vw experiences/misadventures.....no magazine can
touch a good forum full of poeple with experience and new ideas...but they are
still necessary in my opinion....maybe not as much as they used to be, but
still necessary....(my opinion of course)....
-------------------
Old December 15th 04, 01:36 PM
Kafertoys

LOL I ended my subscription as soon as Kaferdave left trends. And I believe
after talking personally to Ryan just after he became editor that whe was given
command of a sinking ship.

Mario
Vintage Werks restorations
Old December 15th 04, 02:26 PM
jjs

"GaryH" > wrote in message
. com...
> Some here may say it is because of the editor or for whatever other
> reason.

True. We may never know, and it is a good idea to suspend judgement of Ryan.
We aren't talking about war crimes.

> I don't think it has anything to do with that. People have no need for
> magazines like VW Trends when they publish the same type of stuff over and
> over that can be found on the internet for free. The internet is killing
> the paper and magazine business in general.

When I read comments like the above, something inside me stirs in anguish
and wants to shout "It is not true that people do not want paper magazines!"
but the Internet and portable computer has changed the picture so that
certain magazines will be diminished by the 'net, but other magazines will
be created... but maybe no ours.