engine knocking ?

Old July 11th 05, 08:37 AM
staceanne

Default engine knocking ?

I have a 2000 Dodge Intrepid that has had quite a few problems. It has
the 2.7l engine. We finally got it running again and now it makes a
sqeeling noise we figured out it lost oil to the top since it had been
open. We reoiled and it ran fine for about 15 mins. Then sqeeling
started again but soon stopped. And it’s also knocking. Everyone seems
to be leaning to replacing the 2.7 here but I have already put more
money in it than what it’s worth. My main question is what is making
it lose lubrication.

Topic URL: http://www.autoforumz.com/Dodge-engi...ict128459.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.autoforumz.com/eform.php?p=626475
Old July 13th 05, 04:18 AM
John C via CarKB.com

CONGRATULATIONS! You have just joined the group of roughly 170,000 owners of
a shiny, but expensive, lawn ornament known as the infamous "Intrepid 2.7."

There are hundreds of websites that address this issue. To sum it up, the
Chrysler (Mercedes-developed) 2.7L. v-6 is a piece of JUNK! And it is not
repairable.

Do not attemp to rebuild it, have it rebuilt, or replaced with a new or used
engine.
You have three options. After 25 years mechanical experience, including
working on many 2.7L (acting solely on customers' requests, and not by choice)
, I have concluded that these are the best options for any Chrysler with the
2.7L. 1. sell the car (running or not) IMMEDIATELY and eat your loss; 2. drop
a 3.2L or 3.5L Chrysler where the 2.7L used to live. or 3. Let the car sit
there.
Whatever you choose, if you do any of the above 3, you will get the desired
results. If you still decide to replace or rebuild the 2.7L (always amazes
me why anyone would do this, probably for the same reason as to why they
decided to buy the car in the first place without doing any prior research);
it will fail again, guaranteed!

If you decide on option 2, 3.2L engines are readily available with low miles
(from accident vehicles) for around $500; any reputable mechanic should be
able to drop it in for around $500-$750. Then you will have a car that will
be as reliable as the next (non-2.7L equipped) car on the road, with proper
maintance.

I hope this helps. I'm sorry I don't have better news for your situation.

Here's a website, a good start among the hundreds available, that will shed
some light on this widespread problem, one that Daimler-Chrysler still denies.

John
Old July 13th 05, 04:21 AM
John C via CarKB.com

http://www.dontbuyone.com/

Old July 13th 05, 04:52 AM
rob

rightttttttttt uh huh sure

Old July 13th 05, 06:26 AM
Norman Y

staceanne wrote:

> I have a 2000 Dodge Intrepid that has had quite a few problems. It has
> the 2.7l engine. We finally got it running again and now it makes a
> sqeeling noise we figured out it lost oil to the top since it had been
> open. We reoiled and it ran fine for about 15 mins. Then sqeeling
> started again but soon stopped. And it’s also knocking. Everyone seems
> to be leaning to replacing the 2.7 here but I have already put more
> money in it than what it’s worth. My main question is what is making
> it lose lubrication.

Probably sludge built up inside the engine. That engine runs HOT and it
is NECESSARY to change oil according to the SEVERE service schedule, and
highly recommended to use full synthetic oil, which is much more
resistant to sludging.

If that engine has a lot of miles on it and the oil was only changed
every 5000 miles, and you live where it gets hot, you could have sludge
in the engine. The Chrysler 2.7L is by no means the worst engine in
this regard, either. Engines from Volkswagen/Audi and the popular V6
and 4-cylinder engines in the Toyota Camry and the Toyota minivan are as
bad. The Toyotas are probably worse.
Old July 13th 05, 06:52 AM
rob

yep.....seen them sludge up due to that....and running crappy 7-11 oil

Old July 13th 05, 05:13 PM
Larry Crites

So how come mine has over 101k miles, no major work, and still runs great?

Larry
Behold Beware Believe

"John C via CarKB.com" > wrote in message
| CONGRATULATIONS! You have just joined the group of roughly 170,000 owners
of
| a shiny, but expensive, lawn ornament known as the infamous "Intrepid
2.7."

<<snipped>>

Old July 13th 05, 07:30 PM
maxpower

"Larry Crites" > wrote in message
> So how come mine has over 101k miles, no major work, and still runs great?
>
> Larry
> Behold Beware Believe
>
> "John C via CarKB.com" > wrote in message
> | CONGRATULATIONS! You have just joined the group of roughly 170,000

owners
> of
> | a shiny, but expensive, lawn ornament known as the infamous "Intrepid
> 2.7."
> |
> <<snipped>>

Because you maintain it properly

Old July 18th 05, 08:36 PM
staceanne

"" wrote:
> "Larry Crites" > wrote in message
> > So how come mine has over 101k miles, no major work, and

> still runs great?
> >
> > Larry
> > Behold Beware Believe
> >
> > "John C via CarKB.com" > wrote in message
> > | CONGRATULATIONS! You have just joined the group of

> roughly 170,000
> owners
> > of
> > | a shiny, but expensive, lawn ornament known as the

> infamous "Intrepid
> > 2.7."
> > |
> > <<snipped>>
> >

> Because you maintain it properly

My car has only 84,000 miles on it and it was also taken care of
properly.
But it has not ran since Oct. of last year because of the million
other things that have went wrong with it. And i am from MS where it
is hot so is it possible that maybe this all occurred while it was in
repair and maybe it is worth rebuilding? See I still owe one more year
plus all the money it has cost me in the past year. I hate to say it
was all for nothing.

Topic URL: http://www.autoforumz.com/Dodge-engi...ict128459.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.autoforumz.com/eform.php?p=628493