325XI - Brake Rotors every 30K miles!?

Old July 13th 05, 02:22 PM

Default 325XI - Brake Rotors every 30K miles!?

Just got off the phone with the Service Advisor from my BMW dealership.
....needs new brake pads and needs new rotors.
He said that 30k-50k is the useful life of BMW rotors, that the rotors
and pads are usually replaced as a set.

Is all of this true?

My '86 VW Jetta is only on it's 2nd set of rotors...
Old July 13th 05, 02:56 PM
Dave Plowman (News)

In article >,
> wrote:
> Just got off the phone with the Service Advisor from my BMW dealership.
> ...needs new brake pads and needs new rotors.
> He said that 30k-50k is the useful life of BMW rotors, that the rotors
> and pads are usually replaced as a set.

Like everything, it depends on usage. The discs have a minimum thickness
marked on the hub and can easily be measured. I've found they last for two
sets of pads. But if they are over half way worn when the first set wears
out it makes sense to replace them.

> My '86 VW Jetta is only on it's 2nd set of rotors...

Just about every old (RHD) VW I've driven has had crap brakes.

--
*I don't know what your problem is, but I'll bet it's hard to pronounce

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Old July 13th 05, 03:45 PM

"Just about every old (RHD) VW I've driven has had crap brakes"

Yeah... maybe they aren't the best brakes; I dont' know.
But they seem to stop me before I crunch the car in front.
....same as my 325XI. And that's really all I ask of brakes.
Old July 13th 05, 05:22 PM
Dave Plowman (News)

In article >,
> wrote:
> > "Just about every old (RHD) VW I've driven has had crap brakes"

> Yeah... maybe they aren't the best brakes; I dont' know.
> But they seem to stop me before I crunch the car in front.
> ...same as my 325XI. And that's really all I ask of brakes.

That's rather like saying - "My old **** got me from A to B. And that's
all I ask of a car." ;-)

--
*Gun Control: Use both hands.

Old July 13th 05, 06:21 PM
J Strickland

That's a bit excessive.

It is normal that brakes and pads are replaced at the same time, but typical
life is two sets of pads for a set of rotors. If your braking leans to the
very mild side, then you may be able to see three sets or pads for a set of
rotors. Frankly, if you need pads after 30k miles, you are pretty hard on
them. Of course, if you drive in constant stop 'n go traffic, then your
brake life will be shorter, and this could explain how you need brakes
already. I am not alarmed that you need brakes, but I question if you need
rotors already.

> wrote in message
> Just got off the phone with the Service Advisor from my BMW dealership.
> ...needs new brake pads and needs new rotors.
> He said that 30k-50k is the useful life of BMW rotors, that the rotors
> and pads are usually replaced as a set.
>
> Is all of this true?
>
> My '86 VW Jetta is only on it's 2nd set of rotors...

WJ brake rotors - ongoing yearly replacement problem Phil Schuman Jeep 6 June 27th 05 03:22 PM
Pulsating brake pedal Mark Technology 5 May 29th 05 03:56 PM
Braking in New Handbrake shoes and Disks M C BMW 86 April 17th 05 10:05 AM
FS:NEW Front Brake Rotors for '92 VW Passat GLS 2.0l romick VW water cooled 0 March 7th 05 11:58 PM
Brake Noise Caused by Cheap Brake Pads? Jay Bollyn Saturn 2 October 30th 04 11:19 PM