Bad Drivers

Old July 12th 05, 07:31 PM
Guy King

The message >
from Dave LaCourse > contains these words:

> Another traffic law in VT is: if the speed limit is not posted, you
> revert to the state's official speed limit which is 55 mph.

We have a similar system in the UK, except that the default speed limit
is variable according to the class of road.

http://www.highwaycode.gov.uk/09.htm#103

--
Skipweasel.
Ivor Cutler - "Never knowingly understood."

Old July 12th 05, 08:05 PM
Mike Smith

KLS wrote:
> On Tue, 12 Jul 2005 07:27:37 +0100, Guy King >
> wrote:
>

>>The message >

>>from Dave LaCourse > contains these words:

>>>I finally managed to
>>>pass her (after about ten other cars/semis did) on the right side.

>>I thought you were allowed to pass on either side in the US?

> No, you're supposed to pass on the left only.

Would that that were true. In most places in the US, there is no law
that says you must pass on the left, or that you must stay right when
not passing. That sure would be nice, but it just ain't so.

--
Mike Smith

Old July 12th 05, 08:54 PM
Dave LaCourse

On Tue, 12 Jul 2005 15:05:10 -0400, Mike Smith
> wrote:

> that you must stay right when
>not passing. That sure would be nice, but it just ain't so.

Most states that I am familiar with have a "keep right except to pass"
traffic law, and you will see the signs saying so. Some states even
give a diagram sign that points out the passing lane, travel lane, and
merge/slow lane.

Dave

Old July 12th 05, 11:12 PM
KLS

On Tue, 12 Jul 2005 15:54:39 -0400, Dave LaCourse
> wrote:

>On Tue, 12 Jul 2005 15:05:10 -0400, Mike Smith
> wrote:
>
>> that you must stay right when
>>not passing. That sure would be nice, but it just ain't so.

>Most states that I am familiar with have a "keep right except to pass"
>traffic law, and you will see the signs saying so. Some states even
>give a diagram sign that points out the passing lane, travel lane, and
>merge/slow lane.

This is what I see where I drive, mostly in New York and Ohio.
Old July 13th 05, 09:22 AM
Matthew Maddock

Don't want to make this a UK/US debate - but you've pretty much
summed up all of my driving experiences in the US - anywhere!!

Still, we get our fair share of "fast lane hoggers" in the UK too.
Problem here is that the driving test doesn't include any motorway
driving, so no-one learns how to do it properly.

Just come back from nearly 3 weeks in France - now they know how
to drive! the vast majority of motorways are 2-lanes and they
all flow beautifully no mater how much traffic there is, but I think
that comes from the fact that they are taught to drive properly
in the first place.

Matt.

Old July 13th 05, 12:10 PM
Dave LaCourse

On Wed, 13 Jul 2005 08:22:49 +0000 (UTC), Matthew Maddock
> wrote:

>Still, we get our fair share of "fast lane hoggers" in the UK too.
>Problem here is that the driving test doesn't include any motorway
>driving, so no-one learns how to do it properly.

I once taught police officers high performance driving but had to give
it up a couple of years ago because of health (age). Most will tell
you that the worst thing out there is tailgating, but they give few
tickets for it because they have no hard evidence (i.e., radar) to use
in court. Most won't bother to give a ticket for 10 mph over in a 65
mph because that is usually the speed most folks are going.

The trouble begins at the learner's level. Most driving schools
emphasize parallell and can't even get hand positioning correct. The
same school I taught is now teaching teenagers. I've sponsored
several friends' children and attend the school and teach that day.
These kids know nothing about driving except how to put the car in
gear and move. They all know how to parallell park, however. It is
very scarey. Hopefully the school will leave a lasting impression on
them and help them to survive today's crowded highways.

Their parents attend the school to observe, and I usually take them
for a demo ride through each of the exercises. Hopefully they too
will take home some proper driving techniques.

I have driven in France, Switzerland, and Germany. You are correct -
they are excellent drivers and very unforgiving for us rude Americans.

Dave

Old July 13th 05, 12:45 PM
Guy King

The message >
from Matthew Maddock >
contains these words:

> Still, we get our fair share of "fast lane hoggers" in the UK too.
> Problem here is that the driving test doesn't include any motorway
> driving, so no-one learns how to do it properly.

That's not entirely true. As an instructor (some years ago) I used to
take learners on the A40 round Uxbridge 'cos it was so like a motorway
(hard shoulders, emergency phones, slip-roads etc) that it gave 'em a
chance to see what a motorway was like.
I also gave away a 2hr motorway lesson to anyone who recommended a
friend. About a third of drivers got on in the long run. There's also
the PassPlus system which involves motoway driving.

Old July 13th 05, 12:54 PM
Guy King

The message >
from Dave LaCourse > contains these words:

> I have driven in France, Switzerland, and Germany. You are correct -
> they are excellent drivers and very unforgiving for us rude Americans.

It's very regional. My wife and I lived in West London for several
years, but now when we go back we're startled at how aggressive the
driving is compared to here in Telford. We don't really get traffic here
so people don't get het up so easily.

As for the continent - well, Madrid's dreadful to drive in, but the
Spanish countryside is fine - the drivers are relaxed and don't bother
pushing.

Paris is a hoot if you don't mind joining in the spirit of adventure the
Parisians have in their driving. Place d'Etoiles for example, has lane
markings, but no on uses 'em - you just choose an exit and head for it
however you fancy.

Old July 13th 05, 01:28 PM
Dano58

So Dave, you only had a hint of NJ drivers, assuming you took the NJ
Turnpike.... I learned to drive in Massachusetts and lived there for 15
years and thought THEY were bad until I moved to NJ.... They are the
WORST here, as you have a lot of people that really don't know how to
drive but do it fast anyways. And the more clapped-out the car is, the
faster they go. Talk about frusternation!

Dan D
'04 A4 1.8Tq MT-6
Central NJ USA

Old July 13th 05, 04:57 PM
Dave LaCourse

On 13 Jul 2005 05:28:47 -0700, "Dano58" > wrote:

>So Dave, you only had a hint of NJ drivers, assuming you took the NJ
>Turnpike.... I learned to drive in Massachusetts and lived there for 15
>years and thought THEY were bad until I moved to NJ.... They are the
>WORST here, as you have a lot of people that really don't know how to
>drive but do it fast anyways. And the more clapped-out the car is, the
>faster they go. Talk about frusternation!

I didn't take the NJ turnpike. I used I84 and I81 to avoid NY, NJ,
MD, and DC. You are correct about Mass drivers, but they aren't as
bad as VA or CT, and we won't even mention NY. d;o)

I have avoided the I95 corridor for more than 20 years, and do not
miss it.

The Nation's Worst Drivers [email protected] Ford Mustang 22 May 31st 05 01:56 AM
Drives me crazy MidnightDad Driving 35 April 26th 05 03:05 AM
SUV drivers MidnightDad Driving 60 April 1st 05 08:03 PM
Flashpoint Racing Series begins tonight! [email protected] Simulators 34 February 18th 05 02:37 AM
Truck Drivers Needed Trucking Recruiter 4x4 0 April 14th 04 01:33 PM