How long have you owned your current Corvette?

Old June 27th 05, 07:00 PM
Barking Rats

In article >,
(Dave in Lake Villa) wrote:

> 'At this point I'm looking at a basic factory-stock rebuild but am
> considering bumping the compression a tad. I believe stock was 8.25:1
> for '72 - considering increasing to 9.5 or so. Anyone think that would
> be worth it in seat of the pants feel?'
>
> ME: No..i dont believe it will afford you that seat of the pants feel
> Owen ; I think youre going to have to shoot higher if you want that
> thrown back in the seat feeling when you mash it. The best single think
> you could do , is to pop for new Oval Port Heads.
>
> 'The setup is 3.08 rear, auto-trans, fully optioned (meaning heavy and
> lots of power accessories.)'
>
> ME: If you want good low end torque, you need to do a rear gear
> changeout. Mine was a stock 3:36 --- a 370 made a big difference.
> However, if you do alot of highway driving with your vette, keep your
> 3.08.

You know, even with the stock 454 setup and the auto/3.08 rear it was a
very strong puller - (been apart for 13 years now so maybe my memory's a
little kind but that's how I remember it). I really don't want to make
any mods that will affect the stock appearance of the engine and I don't
want to make the internals too radical that it's finicky and not
comfortable to drive. Just wondering about tweaking compression a tad
since I gotta replace the pistons anyway.

Here's waving to ya - \||||

Owen
___

'67BB & '72BB

-- not affiliated with JLA forum in any way -- alt.autos.corvette is
original posting --
___

"To know the world intimately is the beginning of caring."
-- Ann Hayman Zwinger
Old June 28th 05, 03:37 AM
dave

Thanks Tom for the info and enlightenment. ZR1's are certainly
interesting.

Dave

Old June 28th 05, 03:40 AM
dave

'Just wondering about tweaking compression a tad since I gotta replace
the pistons anyway.
Here's waving to ya - \||||
Owen'

ME: Id certainly bump up the Compression with piston replacements ;
you may notice a little improvement on torque..but, it wont be
neck-snapping.

Old June 28th 05, 05:54 PM
Crabs

dave wrote:
> ZR1's are certainly interesting.
>
> Dave

Wait 'till you drive one.
;-)

TomC
Old June 29th 05, 07:57 PM
RicSeyler

"94 Ragtop 6 Speed since '94

--
Ric Seyler
Online Racing: RicSeyler

http://www.pcola.gulf.net/~ricseyler
remove –SPAM- from email address
--------------------------------------
"Homer no function beer well without."
- H.J. Simpson

Old June 30th 05, 08:27 PM
RicSeyler

And end up with LESS torque......
Bumping up compression will get him right into detonation, with the only
remedy
being backing off the static timing and the advance curve..... thus less
torque.
(unless someone wants to fuss with octane boosters every fill up)

IF he goes with aluminum heads he can jump up .5 to 1 point max.

--
Ric Seyler

Old June 30th 05, 08:28 PM
RicSeyler

Bob, I've read in about every Vette publication that many engine parts
are getting
VERY VERY VERY scarce. With all the ZR1s being autocrossed and raced.

Old June 30th 05, 08:30 PM
RicSeyler

And Callaway's are going for crazy money at Barret Jackson type of auctions

Old July 1st 05, 12:36 AM
Charlie

Yeah, they seem to hold there value.

--
Charlie
!993 Corvette Convertible

.. .

Old July 1st 05, 07:24 AM
Tom in Missouri

Only had my '79 a little over a year, but I still have a couple of pieces of
my '67 I bought in '74, does that count?

I still have the title to my '63 Chevy from 1970. Wish I had the car to go
with it.