Ford Fuel Filters / Carb Problem

Old August 29th 06, 01:41 AM posted to alt.trucks.ford,alt.ford.trucks,alt.autos.ford,alt.autos,rec.autos.tech
[email protected]

Default Ford Fuel Filters / Carb Problem

I like Ford engineering but they sure dropped the ball on the inline
fuel filter that takes a 15/16" wrench.

My '77 Ford pickup had a gas leak where the filter meets the carb and
in tightening the screw-in filter, the connection started spewing gas.
I had a 15/16" wrench on the filter and though the long handle gave me
way more leverage than I needed for such a small fitting, I didn't
think I was putting too much torque on the wrench because it was
turning very easily as though the filter were loose.

So... Does anyone know of any good "Indian tricks" to resolve such an
issue? I'm not sure yet if I split something on the carb or stripped
the threads but clearly, somethings going on there that's fairly
serious.

Has anyone had any success with pipe joint compounds or teflon tape on
these threads? Since it's a fuel system, I had assumed the gas might
eat right through the teflon tape.

Any help that might help me avoid replacing the carb is GREATLY
appreciated.

John

Old August 29th 06, 02:04 AM posted to alt.trucks.ford,alt.ford.trucks,alt.autos.ford,alt.autos,rec.autos.tech
SC Tom

> wrote in message
ups.com...
>I like Ford engineering but they sure dropped the ball on the inline
> fuel filter that takes a 15/16" wrench.
>
> My '77 Ford pickup had a gas leak where the filter meets the carb and
> in tightening the screw-in filter, the connection started spewing gas.
> I had a 15/16" wrench on the filter and though the long handle gave me
> way more leverage than I needed for such a small fitting, I didn't
> think I was putting too much torque on the wrench because it was
> turning very easily as though the filter were loose.
>
> So... Does anyone know of any good "Indian tricks" to resolve such an
> issue? I'm not sure yet if I split something on the carb or stripped
> the threads but clearly, somethings going on there that's fairly
> serious.
>
> Has anyone had any success with pipe joint compounds or teflon tape on
> these threads? Since it's a fuel system, I had assumed the gas might
> eat right through the teflon tape.
>
> Any help that might help me avoid replacing the carb is GREATLY
> appreciated.
>
> John

First off, pull the filter and see what the damage is- split housing or
stripped threads. If the threads are stripped, you can get away with
drilling it out (carefully), tapping it, and using a brass nipple, a piece
of gas line, and an after-market in-line filter. Or check into using a
helicoil in you can find one that size- I don't know if they're made for
that kind of application or not.
You can use Teflon tape- gas won't bother it at all. If you're REALLY lucky,
you only stripped the filter.

Good luck!

SC Tom

Old August 29th 06, 02:44 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Mike Romain

You need two wrenches to tighten that up. First you have to back off
the gas line fitting, then you can tighten the big one, then re-tighten
the gas line fitting.

I have seen folks split the gas line on it's seam using one wrench to
tighten the big one.

You now need to take it apart to see what's up. You can remove the
filter and epoxy the fitting in then use an inline gas filter on most of
them....

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

Old August 29th 06, 02:47 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Kruse

Mike Romain wrote:
> You need two wrenches to tighten that up. First you have to back off
> the gas line fitting, then you can tighten the big one, then re-tighten
> the gas line fitting.

Are you sure you are not thinking about the earlier GM fuel filters? I
believe the Ford that he has simply has the fuel filter screw directly
into the base of the carb.

Old August 29th 06, 03:01 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Mike Romain

Kruse wrote:

> Mike Romain wrote:
> > You need two wrenches to tighten that up. First you have to back off
> > the gas line fitting, then you can tighten the big one, then re-tighten
> > the gas line fitting.

> Are you sure you are not thinking about the earlier GM fuel filters? I
> believe the Ford that he has simply has the fuel filter screw directly
> into the base of the carb.

You are probably right.

Mike
Old August 29th 06, 04:32 AM posted to alt.trucks.ford,alt.ford.trucks,alt.autos.ford,alt.autos,rec.autos.tech
Hairy

> wrote in message
ups.com...
> I like Ford engineering but they sure dropped the ball on the inline
> fuel filter that takes a 15/16" wrench.
>
> My '77 Ford pickup had a gas leak where the filter meets the carb and
> in tightening the screw-in filter, the connection started spewing gas.
> I had a 15/16" wrench on the filter and though the long handle gave me
> way more leverage than I needed for such a small fitting, I didn't
> think I was putting too much torque on the wrench because it was
> turning very easily as though the filter were loose.
>
> So... Does anyone know of any good "Indian tricks" to resolve such an
> issue? I'm not sure yet if I split something on the carb or stripped
> the threads but clearly, somethings going on there that's fairly
> serious.
>
> Has anyone had any success with pipe joint compounds or teflon tape on
> these threads? Since it's a fuel system, I had assumed the gas might
> eat right through the teflon tape.
>
> Any help that might help me avoid replacing the carb is GREATLY
> appreciated.
>
> John

Whatever you decide to do, keep in mind that the integrity of the connection
must not be in doubt. I'm sure you can imagine what would happen if it fails
and raw gasoline begins to spew all over a hot, running engine.

Dave

Mercury Marquis fuel problem??? [email protected] Technology 8 June 14th 06 02:17 AM
Ford May Close 5 North American Plants Grover C. McCoury III Ford Mustang 30 December 7th 05 06:43 AM
258 head swap? Steve G Jeep 8 October 4th 05 04:34 PM
Starting Problems McNick Jeep 12 October 1st 05 03:58 AM
Why you should never buy a car without a tachometer Ted B. Driving 112 September 19th 05 04:09 AM