Keyless Entry

Old January 7th 07, 05:10 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
[email protected]

Default Keyless Entry

I recently bought a used 2000 XLT with keyless entry. It also has key
locks on the front doors and tailgate. The key opens the tailgate, but
doesn't turn the front door locks.

This is the first vehicle I've had with keyless entry- is it normal to
have the standard door locks be non-functional with keyless entry?
Just curious.

Oh yeah, one other question. I notice the headlights come on
automatically. So I guess the idea is you only need to turn on the
headlights manually if you want them on in the daytime?

All this fancy stuff and they put the parking brake release where I can
barely reach it... and I have LONG arms...
-Paul

Old January 7th 07, 06:10 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Eddie Collins

I jave a ford 2000 xls the key opens the tailgate and the front door locks.
but i have to jiggle the key to open the doors.. if you have anither key try
it, or you can go get a new key cut for the doors, just get a key withot the
chip and carry it in your wallett incase you lock the keys in the explorer..
the auto headlight is a option that mine don't have... My explorer has
1110000 miles on it no oil leake whatsoever, i might trade it in on a 2000
explorer eddie bauer with 57000 miles on it....

Eddie
oups.com...

Old January 7th 07, 06:30 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Ívar Pétur Guđnason

The front door locks may just be stuck - they have probably never been used
due to the keyless entry. Try squirting light oil into the keyholes. If that
does not work your best bet is probably to do some dismantling.
Got mine (1994) loose by removing them from car and leaving overnight in a
bath of light oil.

Ivar Petur

Old January 7th 07, 08:20 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Jim Warman

You door lock question has been answered quite well..... (FWIW, if something
"seems" abnormal, there is a very good chance that it is).

As for the headlights (and this is very important from a safety
standpoint)..... IF you have "autolamp", there will be an indication at the
light switch. There will be an "extra" position counterclockwise from the
"OFF" position - the lights will all come on in the position. If, however,
you DON'T have autolamp but DO have daytime running lamps, your tail lamps
will NOT be illuminated and you run the risk of collision at night.

To check, start the car normally and simply walk around the car checking the
operation of the lamps (FWIW, conscientious operators will perform regular
walk-around inspection looking for obvious concerns (low/worn tires,
non-functional lamps, puddles.... obvious visual cues...) - things that
affect our personal safety).

Old January 7th 07, 09:24 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
oklaman

Greg,
You might be mistaken. When the auto headlights come on, the taillights
also illuminate, which they should.

You are correct-the control is located on the bottom of rearview mirror.
Note that a green indicator light on the mirror also comes on to indicate
that the auto lamps have been illuminated. At least, that's the way mine
work.

2000 Limited
5.0 V8, 79K+ miles

"Greg Berchin" > wrote in message
news On 7 Jan 2007 09:10:21 -0800, wrote:

>Oh yeah, one other question. I notice the headlights come on
>automatically. So I guess the idea is you only need to turn on the
>headlights manually if you want them on in the daytime?

I have 2000 non-XLT. The control for the automatic headlights is
intuitively located on the bottom of the rear-view-mirror! I turned the
feature off (move the lever all the way to the left), because the
headlights turn on automatically, but not the tail lights.

Old January 7th 07, 09:54 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Art McClinton

> wrote in message
oups.com...
>I recently bought a used 2000 XLT with keyless entry. It also has key
> locks on the front doors and tailgate. The key opens the tailgate, but
> doesn't turn the front door locks.

If I bought this car from a used car lot, I would be back complaining to
them to fix the problem. The keys should open the car doors. This is a
common problem which has developed on my 97 XLT. I have been blaming a few
of the keys that I had made.

> This is the first vehicle I've had with keyless entry- is it normal to
> have the standard door locks be non-functional with keyless entry?
> Just curious.

No

> Oh yeah, one other question. I notice the headlights come on
> automatically. So I guess the idea is you only need to turn on the
> headlights manually if you want them on in the daytime?

It is on the bottom of the rear view mirror. You can turn it off if you
want. I like the feature that it stays on for 30 seconds when I am walking
into the house at night.

Old January 7th 07, 09:57 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
oklaman

the farther to the right you slide the mirror switch, the longer the lights
stay on. all the way to left disables auto lamp feature.
"Art McClinton" > wrote in message

> wrote in message
oups.com...
>I recently bought a used 2000 XLT with keyless entry. It also has key
> locks on the front doors and tailgate. The key opens the tailgate, but
> doesn't turn the front door locks.

If I bought this car from a used car lot, I would be back complaining to
them to fix the problem. The keys should open the car doors. This is a
common problem which has developed on my 97 XLT. I have been blaming a few
of the keys that I had made.

> This is the first vehicle I've had with keyless entry- is it normal to
> have the standard door locks be non-functional with keyless entry?
> Just curious.

No

Old January 7th 07, 11:55 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
[email protected]

Jim Warman wrote:
> You door lock question has been answered quite well..... (FWIW, if something
> "seems" abnormal, there is a very good chance that it is).
>
> As for the headlights (and this is very important from a safety
> standpoint)..... IF you have "autolamp", there will be an indication at the
> light switch. There will be an "extra" position counterclockwise from the
> "OFF" position - the lights will all come on in the position. If, however,
> you DON'T have autolamp but DO have daytime running lamps, your tail lamps
> will NOT be illuminated and you run the risk of collision at night.
>
> To check, start the car normally and simply walk around the car checking the
> operation of the lamps (FWIW, conscientious operators will perform regular
> walk-around inspection looking for obvious concerns (low/worn tires,
> non-functional lamps, puddles.... obvious visual cues...) - things that
> affect our personal safety).

Thanks to everyone for the info. I'll try lubing the door locks. I
tried using as much force as I thought prudent and they didn't budge,
but it makes sense that the previous owners just used the remote and
keypad. I bought it cheap on Craig's List from a private party, not
from a dealer so I expected some minor glitches like this.

I will drag my butt out from behind the steering wheel and visually
check how the auto headlights work. I did verify that the lights
worked before I bought it, but that was in daylight. It does have
driving lights, which I'm not used to either, so it's possible that
those are coming on. I think I'll turn this feature off if it's only
the driving lights coming on.

If it turns all the lights on, I'd like that. I'm lazy. ;-)

-Paul

Old January 8th 07, 01:11 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Jim Warman

To be honest, if your car has daytime running lights, I would leave them
be.... I cannot recall how many times that the sight of oncoming DRLs has
kept me from passing, even in bright daylight, when it wasn't safe to do so.
Disable them? Not on a bet....

DRLs work!!! Without a word of a lie, these are about as simple a safety
device as you'll ever have (hell, you don't even have to buckle them). FWIW,
DRLs are mandatory on all vehicles registered in Canada since about MY 1992.

Keyless Entry Installation Yi Honda 0 August 8th 06 05:45 AM
Will A 2003 OEM keyless entry system fit in a 2004 caravan? Erick Ondich Dodge 1 April 27th 06 07:43 PM
Keyless entry ChrisC Ford Explorer 6 November 30th 05 12:03 AM
program keyless entry for Honda Odyssey 8 Honda 7 November 11th 05 04:45 AM