Death to RSC.

Old July 24th 05, 01:36 PM
Byron Forbes

"Tim McCausland" > wrote in message
. com...

> Having all of the separate forums on RSC I think is much more useful than
> one big newsgroup for all sims. One of the big issues I've always had with
> RAS in it's heyday (say around the peek of GPL) was that topics quickly
> got off topic or people chimed in with useless comments. Especially with
> the absolute dominance and superiority complex of GPL users, topics about
> other games quickly turned into how that particular game wasn't 'sim'
> enough and shouldn't even be discussed.

Yes, I think that for specific and technical discussions, especially by
modders, that RSC and the like are good places that filter out the nonsense.
They can be decent places to run leagues from too.

The 2 best things about ras are -

1/ It will never go down
2/ There will never be a better place to get an idea about the quality of
new releases. Even a liberally moderated forum can discourage people from
being as damning as they'd like to be and should be. One can shed all
niceness and be as honest and accurate as they please with the entirety of
the English language at their disposal!

Old July 24th 05, 01:48 PM
Byron Forbes

"Goy Larsen" > wrote in message
> Jan Verschueren wrote:
>>
>> "Goy Larsen" wrote...
>> > I'm not an old woman.......

>> But neither do you moderate RSC, if I'm not mistaken?
>>
>> Jan.
>> =---

> Byron might not have been referring to RSC alone

Dunno why you think I'm referring to you Goy

And in fact, in particular, I'm not. Just pointing out the general
differences between ras and any moderated forum.

So how is Gronk, anyway? LOL.

Old July 24th 05, 01:49 PM
Byron Forbes

"alex martini" > wrote in message
news
> Hey Byron - I got banned from RSC but am still alive here - does that me
> a survivor? ;-)

So far!

Old July 24th 05, 10:31 PM
Goy Larsen

Byron Forbes wrote:

> "Goy Larsen" > wrote in message
> > Jan Verschueren wrote:
> >>
> >> "Goy Larsen" wrote...
> >>
> >> But neither do you moderate RSC, if I'm not mistaken?
> >>
> >> Jan.
> >> =---

> > Byron might not have been referring to RSC alone
> >

> Dunno why you think I'm referring to you Goy

LOL, just busting your chops, didn't think you'd take it personally and
btw, you're off the list, on the other hand, if had taken it personally,
I can take a few jabs in the other direction , comes with the job

> And in fact, in particular, I'm not. Just pointing out the general
> differences between ras and any moderated forum.
>
> So how is Gronk, anyway? LOL.

He left about the same time you did, still see him posting on other
forums though

Beers and cheers
(uncle) Goy
"goyl at nettx dot no"

http://www.theuspits.com

"A man is only as old as the woman he feels........"
--Groucho Marx--
Old July 26th 05, 02:04 PM
Byron Forbes

"Goy Larsen" > wrote in message

>> So how is Gronk, anyway? LOL.

> He left about the same time you did, still see him posting on other
> forums though

Maybe he saw my post b4 it was deleted - mission accomplished!

Old July 26th 05, 08:37 PM
Goy Larsen

Uwe Schürkamp wrote:

> On Sat, 23 Jul 2005 18:45 +0100 (BST), Andrew MacPherson wrote:
> > No, it's because many people can surf the web at work/school but not
> > read newsgroups. IMO anyway :-)
> >

> http://groups.google.com puts you back in a web browser, but is a
> half-decent interface if you read only a couple of usenet groups. You
> can even post from your gmail account. Of course, posting from google
> won't make you a "mechanic" or whatever silly honors webforums tend to
> use after you've posted a couple of times ;-)

I'm "Sven the Berserk" (Erik the Viking reference) on Team Tundra's
forum, nothing silly about that

Old July 26th 05, 11:59 PM
R Keating

Michael Sisson wrote:
> There seems to have been a slight problem with the database.
> Please try again by pressing the refresh button in your browser.
>
> An E-Mail has been dispatched to our Technical Staff, who you can also
> contact if the problem persists.
>
> We apologise for any inconvenience.
>

> ----------------
>

> I appreciate what they are doing, but I really wish everyone would come
> (back) to R.A.S.
>
> (And please don't take the thread header to heart. Although I have been
> on usenet and web forums long enough to know some Wonk is going to reply
> to the header and header alone. Screw you, non message reading replier!)
>

> MRSisson

It's down again with the same database error message

I read a couple of those forums daily ... well maybe not today
Old July 27th 05, 04:53 AM
Don Scurlock

Uwe =?iso-8859-15?Q?Sch=FCrkamp?= > wrote in
:

> On Sat, 23 Jul 2005 12:02:34 GMT, Tony Rickard wrote:
>> As it continues to fragment into huddled groups RAS is likely to be the
>> only group for the entire sim racing community.

> For me, RAS still is *the* definite source of reliable information
> about new racing sims or getting help with old ones. I find web forums
> slow, cumbersome to navigate, and I usually cannot use emacs to create
> new posts. ;^) fsck those bouncing smileys, ascii still rocks when it
> comes to exchange of information.
>
> All the best, uwe

I'm with you Hooover, not sure how definitive ras it is at the moment but
it's format is definitely my preference. Plowing through multiple web
forums is way too tedious. Don
Old July 27th 05, 07:11 AM
Charlie

R Keating wrote:

> I agree about people coming back to R.A.S. I think the success of web
> based forums is due to people not knowing how to set up a news reader
> and also being wowed by the look of web based forum (and those horrible
> waste of space aviators or whatever they are called.) It is to bad that
> they don't realize the extreme inefficiency of web based forums.
>
> I'll continue to use RSC (when they are available) because for now that
> is where the good discussion are.

When I first started on web based boards I thought they were horrible.
Now I find them far better than usenet. The interface is much better,
the moderation gets rid of the dheads, photos are easily posted, sticky
topics, sub sections, yada yada.

Charlie