BMW why do they?

Old June 21st 05, 10:20 PM
Jeff Strickland

"Corey Shuman" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> It might be that they are trying to help you from smearing yourself
> across the road. 99% of drivers cannont handle a car over 100 mph. I've
> learned this at a few driving schools including Skip Barber. You may be
> able to drive you car in a strait line at 150 or so, and maybe even
> some light corners, but try and execute an emergency manuver or hit a
> pothole in the road at 100mph and its a whole different story.

.... or have the motor blow.

Old June 22nd 05, 10:58 AM

Jeff Strickland wrote:

> I don't think the tires have anything to do with the speed limit in the
> computer. Indeed, it appears to me that my car will reach the red line at
> about 145 (if there was no limiter), so I have to assume that an engine
> failure at that speed - both ground speed and engine speed - would be at
> best mildly problematic for most drivers, and at worst hugely problematic
> for everybody else that was anywhere nearby. I prefer to think that the
> limiter will keep the car well below redline at its maximum speed, and this
> is the only reason to have the limiter.

No, that's what the rev limiter is for.

Old June 22nd 05, 02:16 PM
zerouali

"I would guess that pushed round corners with similar haste one would soon
come a cropper"

Actually, Top Gear or Fifth Gear, I forget which, tested the X5 against
various "real off-roaders" off and on road.
On the road the X5 handled almost exactly like the 5 series saloon
throughout various high speed emergency manouvres and chicanes. Very
Impressive!

Old June 22nd 05, 02:56 PM
Pete

Użytkownik "Ross Garrett" wrote
> If this is accurate, and I am not implying it isn't, why is Porsche free
> to sell cars without this top speed limit, or Audi allowed to pay heed
> when they want and not when they don't want?

All Audis are speed-limited as well, at least in the US. 130 mph for the A
models, 155 mph for the S and RS models, IIRC.

Cheers,

Pete

Old June 22nd 05, 05:14 PM
Jeff Strickland

> wrote in message
oups.com...

> Jeff Strickland wrote:
> >
> > I don't think the tires have anything to do with the speed limit in the
> > computer. Indeed, it appears to me that my car will reach the red line

at
> > about 145 (if there was no limiter), so I have to assume that an engine
> > failure at that speed - both ground speed and engine speed - would be at
> > best mildly problematic for most drivers, and at worst hugely

problematic
> > for everybody else that was anywhere nearby. I prefer to think that the
> > limiter will keep the car well below redline at its maximum speed, and

this
> > is the only reason to have the limiter.

> No, that's what the rev limiter is for.

I suspect the rev limiter kicks in at 128 mph. Just a guess ...

Old June 22nd 05, 09:13 PM
SteveG

zerouali wrote:
> "I would guess that pushed round corners with similar haste one would soon
> come a cropper"
>
> Actually, Top Gear or Fifth Gear, I forget which, tested the X5 against
> various "real off-roaders" off and on road.
> On the road the X5 handled almost exactly like the 5 series saloon
> throughout various high speed emergency manouvres and chicanes. Very
> Impressive!

What else would you expect from a road vehicle?

--
Regards

Steve G
Old June 22nd 05, 10:23 PM
Henrik Ohm Eriksen

Uhm,

well i am talking about an 2001 x5 - E53 if you like.

Mine is originally delivered to germany without the speed limitation ... the
car is an 4.4i with sports package and staggered setup....

I can tell you that this x5 (or any 4.6is / 4.8is etc) is a very streamlined
garden shed...

It has very nice handling cornering and acts much like the 5/7 sedan /
coupe counterparts (not counting M type cars)....

But still nobody tells me how fast it can go.. the limiter was at 128mph i
think - but then again i dont have it and i dont understand non-metric
measurements...

Rgds,

Henrik Ohm

Old June 23rd 05, 04:51 PM
Neil

"SteveG <"s.goodfellow"@blueyonder" <"dot> wrote in message
news

> > Actually, Top Gear or Fifth Gear, I forget which, tested the X5 against
> > various "real off-roaders" off and on road.
> > On the road the X5 handled almost exactly like the 5 series saloon
> > throughout various high speed emergency manouvres and chicanes. Very
> > Impressive!
> >

> What else would you expect from a road vehicle?

Ok, so an X5 isn't technically an off-roader, but perhaps a better question
would be: "What else would you expect from a BMW off-roader that is really
intended to be an on-roader?"

Old June 23rd 05, 07:50 PM
SteveG

Neil wrote:
<snip>

>>What else would you expect from a road vehicle?
>>

> Ok, so an X5 isn't technically an off-roader, but perhaps a better question
> would be: "What else would you expect from a BMW off-roader that is really
> intended to be an on-roader?"

Yep, that would have been a better question.

--
Regards

Steve G
Old June 23rd 05, 10:48 PM
zerouali

Fecking hell.

R. Mark Clayton seemed to think that an X5 "pushed round corners with
similar haste one would soon
come a cropper".

I was giving an example of how this is not so. It's nothing to do with what
I expect from the X5.