Replace all tires for a flat one?

Old December 8th 04, 03:50 AM
Capt Retardo and the Skidmarks

Previously in rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer, Fred W
> proclaimed :

>Capt Retardo and the Skidmarks wrote:
>

>> this took all of 2 minutes to find. There's dozens of resources out
>> there that say the same thing:
>>

>> http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete...chingtires.jsp
>>

>That's an interesting article but I fail to understand the actual theory
>behind their claim:

<snip good comments>

>It sounds to me like this theory is in the best interest of tire
>merchants or services that perform "shaving" to match the diameters.
>
>I'd be interested in some hard evidence that shows a cause and effect
>relationship of worn driveline parts and slightly mismatched tires such
>as what one would expect from wear.
>
>-Fred W

It shouldn't take much time to do some searching on the net to
substantiate the link I posted. I *do* know that I've been told by
more than one reputable technician (one of which is Pat Goss, who
hosts Goss' Garage radio show and has a segment on Motor Week),
that he *most definitely* would NOT recommend a new tire replacement
on a 4x4 unless the other three tires are almost new. He has
absolutely no interest in selling tires btw.

People are more violently opposed to fur than leather because it's
safer to harass rich women than motorcycle gangs.
-Unknown
Remove "die spammers" to email
Old December 9th 04, 03:47 AM
Big Bill

On Mon, 06 Dec 2004 19:19:30 -0500, Capt Retardo and the Skidmarks
> wrote:

>Previously in rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer, Big Bill
> proclaimed :
>
>>On Sun, 05 Dec 2004 14:13:36 -0500, Capt Retardo and the Skidmarks
> wrote:
>>
>>>Previously in rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer, Janet
> proclaimed :

>>>unfortunately, the dealer is correct. In a 4wd system, *all* tires
>>>must be replaced. The uneven tread depth that a new tire would
>>>can really mess up your 4x4 drive train.
>>>
>>>If you never put the vehicle in 4x4 then it isn't an issue.

>>Nope.
>>The differential will take up any such minor differences in tire
>>circunference.
>>And since 4x4 should only be used when the tires can slip anyway,
>>that's *really* not true.

>this took all of 2 minutes to find. There's dozens of resources out
>there that say the same thing:
>

>http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete...chingtires.jsp

Hmmm...
I wonder what those differentials are there for?
Tirerack, in case eyou missed it, sells tires. You don't think thety
may have an ulterior motive, do you? Nah, couldn't be.

Differentials are there for just such a purpose.
We hardly ever drrive in a straight line, even on straight stretches
of road. Check your own steereing wheel as you drive; it's constantly
moving, making small adjustments, which makes the car turn. This makes
the tires take different tracks, making them turn at different rates.
That's why the differentials are there.

4X4 should not be used when the tires can't slip.
Even lockers (which, BTW, lock not when power is applied, but when
there's slippage betweent the tires on the same end).
--
Bill Funk
Change "g" to "a"
Old December 9th 04, 03:49 AM
Big Bill

On Mon, 06 Dec 2004 18:19:34 GMT, "351CJ" > wrote:

>"Big Bill" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Mon, 06 Dec 2004 06:52:06 GMT, "351CJ" > wrote:
>>
>> >"Big Bill" > wrote in message
>> .. .

>can't

>4WD(I

>that

>brand
>> >of
>> >tires
>> >(clutches)

>> >BULL****!
>> >Obviously you have Zero experience with locking rearends. They lock
>> >according to the TORQUE being applied to them. They have ZERO input as to
>> >the condition of the traction!!! You stomp the gas both axels are locked

>and
>> >driven, regardless of traction conditions. DUH!

>> And, pray tell, on pavement, how much time does your locker spend
>> locked?
>> Use a little common sense.

>Generally every time you take off with more then 1/4 throttle...
>That for many drivers is every time the start from a stand still.

Your tires slip with 1/4 throttle?

>If you are going to correct someone you really ought to understand what the
>hell you are talking about...

Why would the diff need to lock at such low power? Do you oil your
tires?

--
Bill Funk
Change "g" to "a"
Old December 9th 04, 05:47 AM
351CJ

"Big Bill" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 06 Dec 2004 18:19:34 GMT, "351CJ" > wrote:
>

> >"Big Bill" > wrote in message
> .. .

> >> .. .

> >can't

> >4WD(I

bought

> >that

> >brand

sized

enough

locked,

locked
> >and
> >>
> >> And, pray tell, on pavement, how much time does your locker spend
> >> locked?
> >> Use a little common sense.

> >Generally every time you take off with more then 1/4 throttle...
> >That for many drivers is every time the start from a stand still.

> Your tires slip with 1/4 throttle?
> >
> >If you are going to correct someone you really ought to understand what

the
> >hell you are talking about...

> Why would the diff need to lock at such low power? Do you oil your
> tires?

Don't be a blockhead, they do not LOCK from slippage, they lock from
Torque.... Duh!

Stop by I'll demonstrate it to you...

Here I'll repost this since you seam incapable of following the thread.

The most common limited slip differentials found in performance
cars and trucks are of the cone or clutch type. Many cone or clutch type
differentials use preload springs to help keep some tension on the unit at
all times. There is torque applied to both axels, not just when there is
slippage.

Limited Slips:
(LSD's) come in a variety of designs. Most use friction plates, cones and/or
gears to reduce slippage between each of the tires. these units have a dual
power path from the differential case to the axle shafts. some power is
transmitted through the spider gears to the side gears in the conventional
manner. The remainder is transmitted by friction between the differential
case and the clutch plates and the side gears. A certain amount of "clutch
preload" is built into the unit in a static condition. Then, as load is
applied to the differential, the separation forces between the spider gears
and the side gears increases this clutch loading. This increase in friction
provides for a good positive power flow from the case directly to the side
gears. When traction is available to both wheels, the power going to the
differential causes the plates to bind tightly together, giving even power
to both wheels. However, in a situation where there is little or no traction
available to either one wheel or the other, the amount of power that can be
transmitted to the other wheel which has traction is dependent on the
friction or "preload" in the clutch plates. High levels of "clutch preload"
will result in good torque transfer but some chattering of the clutches
during cornering may occur. Lower levels of preload results in minimal
chatter but reduced levels of torque transfer to the wheel with traction.
Because LSD's restrict true differential action, tire wear is accelerated.
Changes in vehicle handling may also occur, particularly in short wheelbase
vehicles. Wear rates on limited slip differentials are generally higher than
on other types due to the reliance on friction to reduce wheel slippage.
Also, special lubricants may be required to minimize rough and noisy
operation.

http://www.therangerstation.com/tech...erComparo.html

I realize your being stuck in this funk may be genetic, pun intended, but
please do try to follow along.

Old December 9th 04, 06:19 AM
Big Bill

On Tue, 07 Dec 2004 07:26:59 GMT, "351CJ" > wrote:

>"AZGuy" > wrote in message
.. .
> [...]

>available to either one wheel or the other, the amount of power that can be
>transmitted to the other wheel which has traction is dependent on the
>friction or "preload" in the clutch plates. High levels of "clutch preload"
>will result in good torque transfer but some chattering of the clutches
>during cornering may occur. Lower levels of preload results in minimal
>chatter but reduced levels of torque transfer to the wheel with traction.
>Because LSD's restrict true differential action, tire wear is accelerated.
>Changes in vehicle handling may also occur, particularly in short wheelbase
>vehicles. Wear rates on limited slip differentials are generally higher than
>on other types due to the reliance on friction to reduce wheel slippage.
>Also, special lubricants may be required to minimize rough and noisy

But you didn't answer the question.
Why would a 1/4 throttle accelleration cause your tires to slip?
I know I understand how diffs work; I'm just not sure why *your* diffs
lock under 1/4 throttle accelleration on pavement.

--
Bill Funk
Change "g" to "a"
Old December 9th 04, 06:27 AM
351CJ

"Big Bill" > wrote in message
> [...]

> >chatter but reduced levels of torque transfer to the wheel with traction.
> >Because LSD's restrict true differential action, tire wear is

accelerated.
> >Changes in vehicle handling may also occur, particularly in short

wheelbase
> >vehicles. Wear rates on limited slip differentials are generally higher

than
> >on other types due to the reliance on friction to reduce wheel slippage.
> >Also, special lubricants may be required to minimize rough and noisy
> >operation.
> >
> >http://www.therangerstation.com/tech...erComparo.html

> But you didn't answer the question.
> Why would a 1/4 throttle accelleration cause your tires to slip?
> I know I understand how diffs work; I'm just not sure why *your* diffs
> lock under 1/4 throttle accelleration on pavement.

Just because you have a reading comprehension problem DOES Not mean I don't
know what I am talking about or how to explain it...

Generally every time you take off with more than 1/4 throttle...
That for many drivers is every time the start from a stand still.

The key here is "more than 1/4 throttle". Duh...

Old December 9th 04, 06:57 AM
AZGuy

On Thu, 09 Dec 2004 06:27:18 GMT, "351CJ" > wrote:

>"Big Bill" > wrote in message
.. .
> [...]

>> >vehicles. Wear rates on limited slip differentials are generally higher

>than
>> >on other types due to the reliance on friction to reduce wheel slippage.
>> >Also, special lubricants may be required to minimize rough and noisy
>> >operation.
>> >
>> >http://www.therangerstation.com/tech...erComparo.html

>> But you didn't answer the question.
>> Why would a 1/4 throttle accelleration cause your tires to slip?
>> I know I understand how diffs work; I'm just not sure why *your* diffs
>> lock under 1/4 throttle accelleration on pavement.
>>

>Just because you have a reading comprehension problem DOES Not mean I don't
>know what I am talking about or how to explain it...
>
>Generally every time you take off with more than 1/4 throttle...
>That for many drivers is every time the start from a stand still.
>

>The key here is "more than 1/4 throttle". Duh...

I understand exactly how the different types of differentials work.
You have not explained in anyway why a locking diff would "lock" under
conditions that do not cause one of the wheels to slip relative to the
other. If you can't answer that just say so. Your saying "..it
locks.." is not an explanation of why you think it locks. There is
zero reason for it to lock (or for the clutch pack in a LSD to
"engage") under the conditions being discussed, whether at 1/5
throttle or 2/3rds throttle) so I'd like to know what makes you think
it would lock. I've taken off many times in Chevy's with Eaton
lockers on pavement at full throttle without the diff locking.
Conversely, the same truck on loose gravel might lock at less then
quarter throttle if started on loose gravel while turning.
--
Elbridge Gerry, of Massachusetts:

"What, sir, is the use of militia? It is to prevent the
establishment of a standing army, the bane of liberty. . .
Whenever Government means to invade the rights and liberties of
the people, they always attempt to destroy the militia, in order
to raise a standing army upon its ruins." -- Debate, U.S. House
of Representatives, August 17, 1789
Old December 9th 04, 08:45 AM
351CJ

wrote:

> [...]

> zero reason for it to lock (or for the clutch pack in a LSD to
> "engage") under the conditions being discussed, whether at 1/5
> throttle or 2/3rds throttle) so I'd like to know what makes you think
> it would lock. I've taken off many times in Chevy's with Eaton
> lockers on pavement at full throttle without the diff locking.
> Conversely, the same truck on loose gravel might lock at less then
> quarter throttle if started on loose gravel while turning.
> --
> Elbridge Gerry, of Massachusetts:
>
> "What, sir, is the use of militia? It is to prevent the
> establishment of a standing army, the bane of liberty. . .
> Whenever Government means to invade the rights and liberties of
> the people, they always attempt to destroy the militia, in order
> to raise a standing army upon its ruins." -- Debate, U.S. House

What the hell makes you think it is not locked???
Unless you are spinning one tire on pavement and not the other, at full
throttle without the differential locking, in which case you are describing
that your limited slip differential is not functioning properly.
Just because you are not losing traction (spinning your tire(s)) ABSOLUTELY
DOES NOT INDICATE THAT THE LOCKING MECHANISM IS NOT LOCKED or that you are
not applying power to both axels!!! On the other hand it may simply be that
you don't have enough power to spin either of your tires on dry pavement,
let alone both of them...

The whole idea is for the locking differential to drive both axels and avoid
one or the other of them from having to slip...

The limited slip information I posted in my other posts was not what I said
it was on a web page I have nothing to do with...
http://www.therangerstation.com/tech...erComparo.html
in the Limited Slip section, I included the link so you can read it
yourself...

It is real easy for you to check yourself provided you have access to a
working limited slip differential. If you jack both wheels off the ground
and spin one axel one way the other axel will spin that way too! As matter
of fact, if you ask a friend to hold one axel while you spin the other they
will not move separately. this is the no-load no-slippage PRELOAD that is
always being applied. This connection between the two axels never gets any
less than in that neutral state, unless enough torque is applied to break
the grip of the clutch. When torque is applied the clutch grips harder yet.

FYI:
If you don't know it, a standard OPEN differential if jacked up and one axel
is spun, the other axel will spin the opposite direction.

If you still can't understand it take a class.

Old December 9th 04, 03:35 PM
Big Bill

On Thu, 09 Dec 2004 05:47:48 GMT, "351CJ" > wrote:

>"Big Bill" > wrote in message
.. .
> [...]

>friction or "preload" in the clutch plates. High levels of "clutch preload"
>will result in good torque transfer but some chattering of the clutches
>during cornering may occur. Lower levels of preload results in minimal
>chatter but reduced levels of torque transfer to the wheel with traction.
>Because LSD's restrict true differential action, tire wear is accelerated.
>Changes in vehicle handling may also occur, particularly in short wheelbase
>vehicles. Wear rates on limited slip differentials are generally higher than
>on other types due to the reliance on friction to reduce wheel slippage.
>Also, special lubricants may be required to minimize rough and noisy
>operation.
>
>http://www.therangerstation.com/tech...erComparo.html
>
>I realize your being stuck in this funk may be genetic, pun intended, but

OK, put on your thinking cap here...
If the diff is locked, how does the diff allow differential speeds
betweent he wheels on turns under power?
Answer: they aren't locked.
So then, how do these things actually work? Answer: they sense the
slippage beyond a preset amount,and then lock. This doesn't happen
under normal accelleration.
--
Bill Funk
Change "g" to "a"
Old December 9th 04, 03:37 PM
Big Bill

On Thu, 09 Dec 2004 06:27:18 GMT, "351CJ" > wrote:

>> But you didn't answer the question.
>> Why would a 1/4 throttle accelleration cause your tires to slip?
>> I know I understand how diffs work; I'm just not sure why *your* diffs
>> lock under 1/4 throttle accelleration on pavement.
>>

>Just because you have a reading comprehension problem DOES Not mean I don't
>know what I am talking about or how to explain it...
>
>Generally every time you take off with more than 1/4 throttle...
>That for many drivers is every time the start from a stand still.
>

>The key here is "more than 1/4 throttle". Duh...

I have to admit that what you're saying defys my knowledge of how
diffs work, and the nortmal physics of vehicle accelleration.
Why does accelleration of *more than* 1/4 throttle lock the diff?
What's slipping?
Do your vehicles all spin tires at 1/2 throttle accelleration?

--
Bill Funk
Change "g" to "a"