DPFE sensor

Old October 23rd 04, 07:57 PM
Captian Coleman

Default DPFE sensor

Is it possible to "clean out" a clogged DPFE sensor and have it still be
operational? After giving the parts monkey my $55 and replacing my old one
the tinker in mean begain wondering. Out of curiousity, I drilled out the
rivets and discovered the accumulated combustion byproducts.

The DPFE replacement seems to be a common solution to the P0401 "ERG
insufficient flow" CEL code. Is a DPFE considered a "normal wear" part
that will eventually need replacement, or is the clogging a byproduct of
some other problem?

Old October 28th 04, 05:12 AM
Jim Warman

Seeing that this has gone unanswered and wishing I could see where it could
go, I'll creep out on a limb......

The crud that collects in the DPFE is pretty much unavoidable.... fuel
quality and contaminants, oil infiltrating the combustion chamber,
particulates getting past the filter medium..... it all adds up and will
contribute.

For my customers... at 82 loonies/hr, I can't mess with low end parts for
very long before the repair is worse than the replace. Would anyone want me
to spend 60 bux fixing a 70 bux tailpipe? Add that if I did clean a DPFE and
it did well for a week, when it comes back under warranty I'll pay for a new
DPFE out of my pocket AND be the subject of coffee shop talk for a few days.
For myself..... I can't be bothered spending a bunch of time gambling that
my attempts will result in a dependable or reliable repair.

Life is an adventure... time spent jerry rigging fixes is time we take from
meaningful endeavours.

Old October 28th 04, 06:28 AM
Captian Coleman

I realize the financial practicalities of doing business mean this sort of
tinkering probably isn't going on in the dealership. As many discovered
with the notorious blend door problem, sometimes a DIY fix can be quite
effective and cost nary a penny. In that case, all that was needed was half
of a small nail to render the blend door operational. I'm sure someone
spent a long time fiddling with a nail to come up with this free fix.
Everyone's opportunity cost is different. I consider time under my hood as
time well spent. I usually learn something, rarely f*** something up, and
keep my wallet fatter in the process.
If I can shake, spit in, or run a pipe cleaner through a DPFE sensor to
extend its servicable life, it makes sense for me to do it. Society seems
content to pitch everything that doesn't work properly in that trash and
then go out and buy another one. While this often makes economic sense, I'm
always interested in checking to see if an item is serviceable provided it
isn't a safety issue.
Your comments and suggestions are always appreciated.

Old October 29th 04, 11:48 PM
Paul Scrutton

I tried to do this on mine. I drilled out the rivets, cleaned it up
interiorally wise as much as I could, and installed new hoses to it. The
aluminum pipe going into it had detoriated and broken into pieces. I rigged
it up as best as possible, and re-rivetted it again. The DPFE sensor code
came back on almost immediately. After purchasing a new DPFE sensor and
installing it, the code hasn't returned.

Paul