Clutch pedal sticking

Old September 25th 06, 02:16 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
slakker

Default Clutch pedal sticking

Hi,

I recently purchaced a 93 Jeep Wrangler, 4 cylinder with a 3 inch lift
and 31" tires. Problem is that sometimes (about half the time) when I
try to push in the clutch I feel a lot of resistance, I find myself
lifting off of the seat b/c I am pushing so hard to get the clutch down
in order to shift. Sometimes it is hard to push all the way down and
sometimes it will be hard and then just break loose all at once. And
then sometimes it just shifts like a normal transmision would

I have curbed the Jeep untill I can fix it but since this is my first
Jeep ever and I'm not really that much of a mechanic, I was hoping
someone could steer me in the right direction.

Old September 25th 06, 03:06 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III[_1_]

A previous porter reported the same problem and it turned out to be
a bad clutch master cylinder:
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.a...de717c2cb668cd
God Bless America, Bill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old September 25th 06, 04:05 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
RoyJ

Welcome to Jeeps. And you aren't going to like the answer. This Jeep has
a hydraulic clutch. If it is jamming, it has to be the master cylinder,
the slave cylinder, or the clutch itself. I'd bet on the clutch pressure
plate as the culprit.

The master and the slave (do both at the same time) can be replaced from
outside, parts are arund $200, labor is the same or a bit less.
Replacing the clutch pressure plate requires pulling both driveshafts,
transfer case, tranny, all the linkages, and the clutch. Figure 6 hours
as a newbie DIY or $400 at the shop plus $200 in parts.

Old September 25th 06, 12:12 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
ufatbastehd

L.W.(Bill) Hughes III wrote:
> A previous porter reported the same problem and it turned out to be
> a bad clutch master cylinder:
> http://groups.google.com/group/rec.a...de717c2cb668cd
> God Bless America, Bill O|||||||O
> http://www.billhughes.com/
>
> slakker wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > I recently purchaced a 93 Jeep Wrangler, 4 cylinder with a 3 inch lift
> > and 31" tires. Problem is that sometimes (about half the time) when I
> > try to push in the clutch I feel a lot of resistance, I find myself
> > lifting off of the seat b/c I am pushing so hard to get the clutch down
> > in order to shift. Sometimes it is hard to push all the way down and
> > sometimes it will be hard and then just break loose all at once. And
> > then sometimes it just shifts like a normal transmision would
> >
> > I have curbed the Jeep untill I can fix it but since this is my first
> > Jeep ever and I'm not really that much of a mechanic, I was hoping
> > someone could steer me in the right direction.

That was me. Yep Mine was sticking and it turned out to be the master.
My 91 has an internal slave so I did not change that as its in the
beellhousing. If your 93 has the external slave its an easy swap.. I
was happy on mine it WAS the master had it fixed in less than an hr. 2
bolts and bleed the system.

Old September 25th 06, 02:45 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Mike Romain

When that happened to me it turned out to be a dead nose piece (bearing
retainer) on the tranny. The throwout bearing wore a notch in the nose
piece which hung it up. It eventually wore all the fingers off my
pressure plate also.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's