Fan Belt types??

Old March 30th 11, 05:11 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
BSAKing

Default Fan Belt types??

I have an old1976 Corvette. Traditionally I have had a 'solid' fan/
alternator/PS belt on it.

I see now that I am being offered ones that are 'notched' or have
'teeth' on them.

What to use and buy? What is the idea behind the notched belts? Less
material = lower cost? Heating/cooling is better? Less slippage?

I'm sort of the opinion 'if it ain't broke don't fix it', but more and
more I see these as replacements.

Input anyone????

TIA, BSA
Old March 30th 11, 05:54 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
BSAKing

PS: It seems to me that the notched belts are noisier.

Old March 30th 11, 06:52 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
hls

http://eec.engr.oregonstate.edu/down...Belt%20411.pdf

Old March 30th 11, 07:21 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
BSAKing

On Mar 30, 1:52*pm, "hls" > wrote:
> "BSAKing" > wrote in message

> > PS: It seems to me that the notched belts are noisier.

> http://eec.engr.oregonstate.edu/down...Belt%20411.pdf

Thanks, but the first link for me was dead.

The second, although interesting, uses refrigerator compressor belts
as an example. Not sure if the cost, noise, etc provides any benefit
over a regular belt for a car. I cannot say I noticed any extended
life.
Old March 30th 11, 10:16 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
hls

"BSAKing" > wrote in message news:8c208682-

The link I opened gave some figures for improved efficiency in the
neighborhood of 2-4% over the standard V-belt.

I would expect a notched belt to be noisier than a solid one, wouldnt
you?

But, if a company can pick up a few percentage points of economy,
at whatever level, without incurring any cost, there is no decision to
make.

Old March 30th 11, 10:37 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Steve W.[_6_]

BSAKing wrote:
> I have an old1976 Corvette. Traditionally I have had a 'solid' fan/
> alternator/PS belt on it.
>
> I see now that I am being offered ones that are 'notched' or have
> 'teeth' on them.
>
> What to use and buy? What is the idea behind the notched belts? Less
> material = lower cost? Heating/cooling is better? Less slippage?
>
> I'm sort of the opinion 'if it ain't broke don't fix it', but more and
> more I see these as replacements.
>
> Input anyone????
>
> TIA, BSA

Notched are generally a bit more efficient with power transfer. They
also stay cool a bit better due to the increased airflow the notches
allow. They also flex better and allow tighter curves as a result.

--
Steve W.
Old March 31st 11, 01:23 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
m6onz5a

On Mar 30, 12:11*pm, BSAKing > wrote:
> I have an old1976 Corvette. Traditionally I have had a 'solid' fan/
> alternator/PS belt on it.
>
> I see now that I am being offered ones that are 'notched' or have
> 'teeth' on them.
>
> What to use and buy? What is the idea behind the notched belts? Less
> material = lower cost? Heating/cooling is better? Less slippage?
>
> I'm sort of the opinion 'if it ain't broke don't fix it', but more and
> more I see these as replacements.
>
> Input anyone????
>
> TIA, BSA

Notched on the inside gives better cooling.notched on the outside
gives better flexibility
Old March 31st 11, 03:20 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
BSAKing

On Mar 30, 8:23*pm, m6onz5a > wrote:
> On Mar 30, 12:11*pm, BSAKing > wrote:> I have an old1976 Corvette. Traditionally I have had a 'solid' fan/
> > alternator/PS belt on it.

> > I see now that I am being offered ones that are 'notched' or have
> > 'teeth' on them.

> > What to use and buy? What is the idea behind the notched belts? Less
> > material = lower cost? Heating/cooling is better? Less slippage?

> > I'm sort of the opinion 'if it ain't broke don't fix it', but more and
> > more I see these as replacements.

> > Input anyone????

> > TIA, BSA

> Notched on the inside gives better cooling.notched on the outside
> gives better flexibility

What I am decoding from all of this: On a 30+ year old car with a 4
barrel carb and original engine, it makes no appreciable difference
aside from noise level and heat transfer. On that basis I'll vote for
a solid belt I guess.

thanks all! Interesting info.....

Fan Belt [email protected] BMW 7 January 24th 08 06:06 PM
Converting from belt-driven fan to electric fan Ed White[_2_] Technology 35 January 24th 08 03:58 AM
Converting from belt-driven fan to electric fan EdV Technology 6 January 22nd 08 12:25 PM
Converting from belt-driven fan to electric fan larry moe 'n curly Technology 0 January 21st 08 09:55 PM
Fan Belt ?'s dcollivier Jeep 7 April 25th 05 09:25 PM