JEEP Cherokee Brake Lights

Old September 12th 06, 03:07 AM posted to rec.autos.4x4
Len

Default JEEP Cherokee Brake Lights

01 Loredo, With running lights on and press on the brake, all tail
lights go out. The hatch light works fine. Could this be the brake
switch. If so , what is the trick to getting the wire harness
unplugged?

Thanks
Len

Old September 12th 06, 06:14 AM posted to rec.autos.4x4
Will Honea[_1_]

On Tue, 12 Sep 2006 02:07:16 UTC "Len" > wrote:

> 01 Loredo, With running lights on and press on the brake, all tail
> lights go out. The hatch light works fine. Could this be the brake
> switch. If so , what is the trick to getting the wire harness
> unplugged?

In general, what you describe is a ground problem with the rear lights
- brake lights use more power than the tail lights, so if the ground
is flakey, the extra load will cause the bad grouind to open. If you
pull the light assembly, you should find a ground wire from the
plastic housing to the rear fender - take that sucker loose from the
fender and clean the snot out of it

Don't know exactly how your brake switch is mounted - you don't give a
year - but on my vintage '88 the brake switch is a simple normally
open switch mounted on the brake pedal where the square end of the
connecting rod operates it - no way is it going to affect the tail
lights.

--
Will Honea
Old September 12th 06, 01:17 PM posted to rec.autos.4x4
Len

Will thanks for the advise, I will check the ground. The reason I
thought it was the brake switch is because it's only when I brake that
all the back tail lights go out except the one on the hatch door. It
was cheap enough to buy, but I couldn't get the wiring disconected.

Old September 12th 06, 02:31 PM posted to rec.autos.4x4
Mike Romain

Besides the ground wire itself, a bulb can break loose from it's base
and cause similar issues as well. It would be worth checking them
before tearing it apart.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

Old September 12th 06, 08:54 PM posted to rec.autos.4x4
Will Honea[_1_]

Again, you didn't give the year/model so I can't be sure which switch
you have, but on my 88 and the son's 91 the switch has a two-wire
lead/connector that plugs onto the switch itself. On his, he has a
third tab connected to the open side of the switch that is referenced
in the FSM as being for the auto tranny only. I also have the third
tab with a 5-spd but it is simply sitting there with no connection.

On those larger connectors you sometimes have to "reason" with them -
they have a locking tit on the lug that drops into a hole in the
female side and they can be pretty tight to get off. I use a thin
screwdriver to pry the connector off - carefully.
Since you are working with one lead hot to the battery, you might want
to pull the negative cable before doing this unless arcs and sparks
don't bother you.

--
Will Honea
Old September 13th 06, 02:45 PM posted to rec.autos.4x4
Mike Romain

He says the switch works Wlll. The center brake light comes on.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

Old September 13th 06, 04:57 PM posted to rec.autos.4x4
Will Honea[_1_]

Yeah, I couldn't figure out why he wanted it off either - but better
to tell him how than have it busted and creating more of a problem.

You'll find this interesting. Couple of weeks back, I made my usual
check of lights and found that I had no brake lights. I had the
emergency flashers, so the circuit was good. Pulled the brake switch,
cleaned it up and all was well. Couple of days later, I noticed that
I had to be one the brakes pretty firmly to get the lights. Hmmm...
no adjustment on that switch...
Just sitting there with the radio on, I let my foot rest on the brake
pedal - and got a wierd racket in the radio. Playing around, I could
get that noise to repeat as I eased the pedal down - and it stopped
when I got far enough down to get the brake lights to illuminate!
Changed the brake switch then tore into the old one and sure enough
the contacts were corroded enough to require considerable pressure to
break the corrosion and actuall make contact - the noise was from the
arcing as it tried to close through the corrosion. Shades of the old
corroded headlight switch and its thermal breaker!

--
Will Honea
Old September 16th 06, 04:34 PM posted to rec.autos.4x4
Len

Thanks for all the advise. It ended up being two light sockets

Will Honea wrote:
> Yeah, I couldn't figure out why he wanted it off either - but better
> to tell him how than have it busted and creating more of a problem.
>
> You'll find this interesting. Couple of weeks back, I made my usual
> check of lights and found that I had no brake lights. I had the
> emergency flashers, so the circuit was good. Pulled the brake switch,
> cleaned it up and all was well. Couple of days later, I noticed that
> I had to be one the brakes pretty firmly to get the lights. Hmmm...
> no adjustment on that switch...
> Just sitting there with the radio on, I let my foot rest on the brake
> pedal - and got a wierd racket in the radio. Playing around, I could
> get that noise to repeat as I eased the pedal down - and it stopped
> when I got far enough down to get the brake lights to illuminate!
> Changed the brake switch then tore into the old one and sure enough
> the contacts were corroded enough to require considerable pressure to
> break the corrosion and actuall make contact - the noise was from the
> arcing as it tried to close through the corrosion. Shades of the old
> corroded headlight switch and its thermal breaker!
>
> On Wed, 13 Sep 2006 13:45:45 UTC Mike Romain >
> wrote:
>
> > He says the switch works Wlll. The center brake light comes on.
> >
> > Mike
> > 86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail in '00
> > 88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's
> > Canadian Off Road Trips Photos: Non members can still view!
> > Jan/06 http://www.imagestation.com/album/pi...?id=2115147590
> > (More Off Road album links at bottom of the view page)
> >
> > Will Honea wrote:
> > >
> > > Again, you didn't give the year/model so I can't be sure which switch
> > > you have, but on my 88 and the son's 91 the switch has a two-wire
> > > lead/connector that plugs onto the switch itself. On his, he has a
> > > third tab connected to the open side of the switch that is referenced
> > > in the FSM as being for the auto tranny only. I also have the third
> > > tab with a 5-spd but it is simply sitting there with no connection.
> > >
> > > On those larger connectors you sometimes have to "reason" with them -
> > > they have a locking tit on the lug that drops into a hole in the
> > > female side and they can be pretty tight to get off. I use a thin
> > > screwdriver to pry the connector off - carefully.
> > > Since you are working with one lead hot to the battery, you might want
> > > to pull the negative cable before doing this unless arcs and sparks
> > > don't bother you.

> > > --
> > > Will Honea

> --
> Will Honea

Jeep Cherokee ('93) Emergency Brake Lever flydog 4x4 2 April 21st 06 04:51 PM
97 Jeep grand cherokee brake failure. [email protected] Jeep 0 April 11th 06 02:57 PM
Warning!! Dangerous design flaw in the 2006 Jeep Wranglers!! Tim 4x4 1 March 4th 06 04:25 PM
The dangers of DRLs 223rem Driving 399 July 25th 05 11:28 PM
Brake rotors already grooving [email protected] Technology 46 January 15th 05 04:42 PM