Going to California!

Old January 14th 05, 09:48 AM
Larry Scholnick

One more thing to watch for on the way back. The Archibald Avenue exit from I-10 is a SPUI, one of
the few in California.

Old January 14th 05, 09:41 PM
Christopher Green

On Fri, 14 Jan 2005 08:42:33 GMT, "Larry Scholnick"
> wrote:

[snip]

>There is one oddity that you have to watch out for. The most common route to PS is to exit I-10 on
>CA-111, and then follow CA-111 for 16 miles into PS. When you see a sign on I-10 that gives the
>distance to PS as 20 miles, it does not mean that your exit is 20 miles ahead; it means that your
>exit is 4 miles ahead. Surprise!

This is a good route if (and only if) your destination is Palm Springs
proper. The OP is going to Indian Wells (as he mentioned in another
post). Exiting at CA-111 will add an hour or so of unpleasant driving.

CA-111 is a d**ned slow commercial street from downtown Palm Springs
all the way to Indio. If you're headed to any point east of Palm
Springs, it's much better to stay on I-10.

Washington Street is usually the best exit for Indian Wells or La
Quinta; depending on just where the OP is going, there may be a better
choice.

--
Chris Green
Old January 14th 05, 09:41 PM
Christopher Green

Old January 15th 05, 05:32 AM
Ed Nuxters

On Fri, 14 Jan 2005 20:41:00 +0000, Christopher Green wrote:

> On Fri, 14 Jan 2005 08:42:33 GMT, "Larry Scholnick"
> > wrote:
>
> [snip]
>
>>There is one oddity that you have to watch out for. The most common route to PS is to exit I-10 on
>>CA-111, and then follow CA-111 for 16 miles into PS. When you see a sign on I-10 that gives the
>>distance to PS as 20 miles, it does not mean that your exit is 20 miles ahead; it means that your
>>exit is 4 miles ahead. Surprise!

> This is a good route if (and only if) your destination is Palm Springs
> proper. The OP is going to Indian Wells (as he mentioned in another
> post). Exiting at CA-111 will add an hour or so of unpleasant driving.
>
> CA-111 is a d**ned slow commercial street from downtown Palm Springs
> all the way to Indio. If you're headed to any point east of Palm
> Springs, it's much better to stay on I-10.
>
> Washington Street is usually the best exit for Indian Wells or La
> Quinta; depending on just where the OP is going, there may be a better
> choice.

I'm gerttin goff at Cook Street. My Hotel is right on Frank Sinatra Ave.

Old January 15th 05, 05:32 AM
Ed Nuxters

Old January 15th 05, 10:22 PM
Christopher Green

On Fri, 14 Jan 2005 23:32:15 -0500, Ed Nuxters > wrote:

>On Fri, 14 Jan 2005 20:41:00 +0000, Christopher Green wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 14 Jan 2005 08:42:33 GMT, "Larry Scholnick"
>> > wrote:
>>
>> [snip]
>>
>>>There is one oddity that you have to watch out for. The most common route to PS is to exit I-10 on
>>>CA-111, and then follow CA-111 for 16 miles into PS. When you see a sign on I-10 that gives the
>>>distance to PS as 20 miles, it does not mean that your exit is 20 miles ahead; it means that your
>>>exit is 4 miles ahead. Surprise!

>> This is a good route if (and only if) your destination is Palm Springs
>> proper. The OP is going to Indian Wells (as he mentioned in another
>> post). Exiting at CA-111 will add an hour or so of unpleasant driving.
>>
>> CA-111 is a d**ned slow commercial street from downtown Palm Springs
>> all the way to Indio. If you're headed to any point east of Palm
>> Springs, it's much better to stay on I-10.
>>
>> Washington Street is usually the best exit for Indian Wells or La
>> Quinta; depending on just where the OP is going, there may be a better
>> choice.

>I'm gerttin goff at Cook Street. My Hotel is right on Frank Sinatra Ave.

That works too.

A really cute retro place to visit is the Shields Date Garden, on 111
near Washington. Good place to buy really good dates in quantity.

Also, if you play golf, you're on your way to golfer's paradise.

--
Chris Green
Old January 15th 05, 10:22 PM
Christopher Green