Corvette 1974 Rear Brakes

Old July 23rd 05, 12:35 AM
goof

Default Corvette 1974 Rear Brakes

One the rear brakes of my 1974 Corvette makes a thumping sound when I
start driving after holding the brake for some time. My dealer tells
me the brake pads move a little in the driving direction of the car,
but they loosen / release well, and there is no abnormal wear and
tear. any suggestions?

Topic URL: http://www.autoforumz.com/Corvette-1...ict130144.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.autoforumz.com/eform.php?p=634057
Old July 23rd 05, 02:08 PM
Kickstart

"goof" > wrote in message
news:1_634057_117c4e8932956e20546d5e7b486887cf@aut oforumz.com...
> One the rear brakes of my 1974 Corvette makes a thumping sound when I
> start driving after holding the brake for some time. My dealer tells
> me the brake pads move a little in the driving direction of the car,
> but they loosen / release well, and there is no abnormal wear and
> tear. any suggestions?

http://www.vbandp.com/SearchResult.aspx?CategoryID=42

try these people

kickstart

Old July 23rd 05, 02:19 PM
Bob G.

On 22 Jul 2005 19:35:45 -0400, goof >
wrote:

>One the rear brakes of my 1974 Corvette makes a thumping sound when I
>start driving after holding the brake for some time. My dealer tells
>me the brake pads move a little in the driving direction of the car,
>but they loosen / release well, and there is no abnormal wear and
>tear. any suggestions?

Sounds to me that the roter is slightly warped.... I honestly have
very little faith in most dealers when it comes to these problems...

My right rear rotor was out by 27 thousands when I noticed a similar
problem a few years ago....replaced it with a new roter (out by 7
thousands when installed BTW) and the problem went away....

Thats my guess...

Bob G.
64 72 76 79 & 95 Corvettes...

Old July 24th 05, 08:36 PM
goof

"" wrote:
> On 22 Jul 2005 19:35:45 -0400, goof
> >
> wrote:
>
> >One the rear brakes of my 1974 Corvette makes a thumping

> sound when I
> >start driving after holding the brake for some time. My

> dealer tells
> >me the brake pads move a little in the driving direction of

> the car,
> >but they loosen / release well, and there is no abnormal wear

> and
> >tear. any suggestions?

> Sounds to me that the roter is slightly warped.... I honestly
> have
> very little faith in most dealers when it comes to these
> problems...
>
> My right rear rotor was out by 27 thousands when I noticed a
> similar
> problem a few years ago....replaced it with a new roter (out
> by 7
> thousands when installed BTW) and the problem went away....
>
> Thats my guess...
>
> Bob G.
> 64 72 76 79 & 95 Corvettes...

Thank you, Bob!

That looks like a good guess!

W’ll see what we can do to solve this problem.

Goof

Topic URL: http://www.autoforumz.com/Corvette-1...ict130144.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.autoforumz.com/eform.php?p=635220
Old July 25th 05, 07:20 PM
Joe M

Also check for worn/loose bushings on the trailing arms and differential
case.

Old July 26th 05, 03:33 AM
Tom in Missouri

There is so much stuff that can move back there, this description is like
saying "My head hurts." Well, does it hurt from a headache, you slept
wrong, you have a nasty pimple, or your wife smacked you upside the head
with a club for being out too late drinking?

Those "thumps" could be clicks, clunks, pops, and a host of other noises.
You could have pads clicking because they stick to the rotor because they
are worn and the rotors glazed, you could have u-joints popping because they
have play, you could have noises in the rear end because the stub axles are
worn, you could hear Posi clutches popping and snapping, and more.

Heck, my '79 has popping sounds all the time. Just recently, I had some
that turned out to be a real nasty, or could have been very nasty, problem.
I put a set of old aluminum slots on for that retro look and I picked up the
unilug inserts from Pep Boys. The original inserts when in the back and were
thick from Ansen. The only ones available now are cheap washers and these
bent, loosening the wheel while I was driving (after a month of having them
on), and I snapped a stud the other day. I had kept checking tightness but
the nuts had finally bottomed against the rotor, and only the lock was truly
tightening.

So you have thumping. Yu need to narrow it down a bit.

Adjusting Rear Drum Brakes Mel P. Jeep 2 April 30th 05 02:13 PM
Front brakes dragging, no rear pressure, all disc [email protected] Technology 6 April 25th 05 08:04 PM
need a diagram of rear brakes 1995 jeep cherokee blazerchic Jeep 1 March 19th 05 12:28 AM
Need diagram or pic of rear brakes both sides blazerchic Jeep 0 March 18th 05 11:57 PM
rear disc brakes Ben Boyle VW air cooled 5 March 2nd 05 09:14 PM