What Mufflers?

Old July 2nd 05, 02:25 AM
GT's GT

Default What Mufflers?

Hi group:

96 GT Convertible, all stock. Would like a bit more growl that the
stock gt mufflers. Don't want to spend a fortune, nor do I want it too
loud since it is a convertible.

Thanks for any suggestions.
gjt

Old July 2nd 05, 02:38 AM
Mort Guffman

My suggestion: keep what you have. They are paid for, stainless steel,
and they are the correct part for your car.

mort

Old July 2nd 05, 07:10 AM

Thrush turbo mufflers. Can be had from Summit for probably $40 + ship
for both. (2.25")..

Local performance shops sell 'em here for about $20/muffler + tax. Of
course.. pay cash & they might not charge tax :P.

They have a bit of a "throaty" growl to 'em on these 4.6L SOHC
motors... sounds pretty decent. Not as loud or throaty as Flowmasters
or Borla mufflers.. but still good bang for buck. Note that they are
NOT stainless steel..

-Mike

Old July 2nd 05, 07:35 PM
Alias

>>They have a bit of a "throaty" growl to 'em on these 4.6L SOHC
motors... sounds pretty decent. Not as loud or
>>throaty as Flowmasters or Borla mufflers.. but still good bang for

buck. Note that they are NOT stainless steel..

Agreed. I had some on my 68 Chevelle. Sounded really nice under
accelleration, but nice and quiet at a light.

Alias

Old July 4th 05, 09:44 PM
Cobra Boy

If you go to http://www.mustangexhaust.com/ you can listen to a few clips to
see what you might like.
excobra boy

Old July 5th 05, 03:07 AM
.boB

GT's GT wrote:

> Hi group:
>
> 96 GT Convertible, all stock. Would like a bit more growl that the
> stock gt mufflers. Don't want to spend a fortune, nor do I want it too
> loud since it is a convertible.
>
> Thanks for any suggestions.
> gjt

What sounds good to me, may sound like trash to you. Go to a local cruise night,
and listen to a few Mustangs. When you find one that sounds good to you, ask the
owner what they are. Buy those.
You may settle for something that you don't particularly like, because they are
a little cheaper. But you'll be forever dissatisfied. You may hear something on a
small block chevy that sounds good, but will sound completly differant on your mod
motor. Be patient, save your pennies, and do your research. You'll be a lot happier
in the end.

--
..boB
1997 HD FXDWG - Turbocharged!

Old July 5th 05, 09:43 PM
GT's GT

Thanks all. Appreciate the responses and good ideas.

GT

GT's GT wrote:
> Hi group:
>
> 96 GT Convertible, all stock. Would like a bit more growl that the
> stock gt mufflers. Don't want to spend a fortune, nor do I want it too
> loud since it is a convertible.
>
> Thanks for any suggestions.
> gjt

Speaking of mufflers and 4.6's CobraJet Ford Mustang 2 February 16th 05 11:54 PM
Bosal or Dansk mufflers azazel scratch VW air cooled 2 January 1st 05 03:36 PM
Need advice on Exhaust!!!!! Steph Ford Mustang 7 December 9th 04 01:48 PM
Mufflers MikeG Ford Mustang 5 December 5th 04 01:11 PM
73 LS4 exhaust [email protected] Corvette 16 November 13th 04 05:28 PM