Congress Paving the Way for Tolls on Interstates

Old March 11th 05, 09:49 PM
Dave C.

> >Do you have to STOP to pay the toll? Yes or no? It's still a roadblock,
> >even if it's relocated. -Dave
> >

> Unless you have a transponder.

That would be great, if one transponder would work for all tollbooths. In
my area alone, I'd need four transponders to deal with all the toll booths I
hit on a weekly basis, as they are four different systems, and no
cross-compatibility exists. Also, not all cars are being driven NEAR areas
that the driver lives in. So it wouldn't even be possible to have a
transponder, unless your car was filled with nothing BUT transponders. If
you travel by car at all like millions of people do every year, then you are
wasting time and spewing pollution waiting at toll booths. There should be
a way to pay a toll (ANY toll) without stopping. Here's a thought . . . ban
toll booths. -Dave

Old March 11th 05, 10:04 PM
Gordon Burditt

>> >Do you have to STOP to pay the toll? Yes or no? It's still a roadblock,
>> >even if it's relocated. -Dave
>> >

>> Unless you have a transponder.

>That would be great, if one transponder would work for all tollbooths. In

How does one GET a transponder? How does one RETURN a transponder?
It's my understanding in the Dallas area that you can't do either of
these things without racking up tolls going to and from the airport,
because your transponder goes through these areas in a USPS or FedEx
truck on its way to or from the toll authority.

Gordon L. Burditt
Old March 12th 05, 02:35 AM
Antipodean Bucket Farmer

In article
>,
says...
> On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 19:48:48 -0500, "Magnulus"
> > wrote:
>
> > Why not jus tax fuel- I think it would be more transparent than putting a
> >tax on driving on certain roads.
> >

> In the US, a flat tax (which is what fuel taxes are - everyone pays
> the same amount on what they use) are not popular.
> Those who must drive will be hit harder than those who only *choose*
> to drive, becasue they can choose not to drive, thus lowering their
> tax.

Even if you have to drive, you can often choose to
drive a small, fuel-efficient car (lighter, and thus
easier on the road surface), as opposed to choosing a
large gas-hog SUV (heavier, and thus harsher on the
road surface.)

Thus, the amount of fuel tax that an individual pays
can be connected to the amount of wear-and-tear that
their vehicle does to the road.

With tolls, the lighter econo-box pays the same as the
heavier, "mine-is-bigger-than-yours" SUV.

OTOH, the folks who can choose to drive or not are a
good group for giving that extra incentive to take
public transit instead, reducing congestion and
pollution for everyone.

Choice is an interesting thing, and is often quite
distorted in the individual's mind. My neighbours
wouldn't even consider getting off their lazy arses and
*walking* 1.5 km to the store (e.g. for their weekly
lotto ticket...), and sneer at me for chosen, voluntary
daily exercise walk. They have just as much option to
walk as I do, and yet they refuse to accept
responsibility for choosing to drive.

I have met people who claimed that public transport
simply wasn't an option at all, because they were just
a better class of people, who are entitled to private
car transport (including people who expect others to do
the driving and provide the car.) They wouldn't wanna
sink down to the emotional humiliation of riding around
with those poor black folks...

--
Get Credit Where Credit Is Due
http://www.cardreport.com/
Old March 12th 05, 02:51 AM

Larry Bud wrote:
> > You assume that money of those paying were never on the

receiving
> > end. Those who were self-made often availed themselves of an array

of

> > government programs from education to transportation.Those who

> inherited
> > money use everything from police and fire protection to the FDIC.

> So what. Those who inherited money is money that has already been
> taxed numerous times.

So have pensions and Social Security yet they are taxed.

Old March 12th 05, 04:26 AM
Antipodean Bucket Farmer

In article
. com>,
says...

> SoCalMike wrote:
> > Larry Bud wrote:
> > >
> > > End the withholding, make everybody pay quarterly.

> > hehe... the way most people spend "extra" money on 24" wheels and DVD

> > players for their SUVs, they wouldnt have anything saved for the
> > quarterly bills.

> Have you ever had to suffer the embarrassment of your peeps mistaking
> your 24" rims for 20's? Well no more because TIS Wheels has the size
> of the wheel displayed right on the center cap. It's the SHIZZIT! YO!
>
> This is a direct quote from their website:
>
> "Let Your Size Be Known"
> "TIS brand wheels are the first and only wheel to display the size of
> the wheel right on the center cap. So there's no guessin' that you're
> rollin strong."
>
> <http://www.twentyinchesstrong.com/tis01.html>
>
> Pathetic.

Yo, yo, yooooooo...

But you can't fake REAL street cred...

Comin in from East L.A., and cruzin Hollywood Blvd on
Friday and Saturday nites! With yer restored and
pumped custom '65 Impala! Crankin da tunez, and
activatin yer hydraulic suspension. If you do it just
right, you can get the whole car to gallop in place and
leave the surface!

<boom, boom>

"Jump around! Jump around! Jump up and get down!"

<boom, boom>

Honestly, I really did put a smile to my face back in
those day, seeing those people having fun Probably
would inspire a (respectful) smile today

OK, OK, maybe I am about 15+ years out-of-date. But
certainly better than those boring suburban OC white
kids in mommy's car, trying to feel cool...