1992 525i auto trans question

Old November 21st 04, 06:36 PM
Scott

Default 1992 525i auto trans question

Based on on input from this group, I had my auto transmission fluid changed
at 150k miles...probably the first time it had been changed. The oil was
quite dark. Driving the car afterwards I did notice it shifted a lot
smoother.

Recently however, when I come to a complete stop it takes the car a second
or two to shift back in to first gear. If I press the accelerator nothing
happens then it catches with a thump...obviously not too good. It doesn't
shift like this all the time, only occasionaly and usually when cold.

Any ideas what causing this...will it get worse...and preventive
measures...and finally, worst case scenerio, what am I look at for a
rebuild? Thanks!
Old November 21st 04, 08:04 PM
news.eclipse.co.uk

Have you since checked the level?

From cold foot on brake run selector thro all gears and the level should be
near the bottom of the dipstick.

The levels higher up on the dipstick are for warm/hot engines.

Tony

Old November 21st 04, 10:06 PM
Scott

This auto tranny doesn't have a dipstick...apparently BMW thought it would
last forever. I can have it taken in though and the level checked.

Old November 22nd 04, 02:31 PM
David

My 93 525iT has the same 'no dipstick' and the Bentley manual says fill up
to 1/2" from the top when up to normal operating temp (which for my wagon is
a little over mid-mark).

-David