rFactor won't run

Old November 13th 04, 01:53 AM
Pat Dotson

Default rFactor won't run

Win 98 SE. Installed DX 9 from MS website. Setup runs OK, but
program crashes on launch with the standard "illegal operation".

Suggestions?

Pat Dotson
Old November 13th 04, 06:39 AM
Matthew Jessick

Are your graphics drivers up to date?

Old November 15th 04, 06:18 AM
Pat Dotson

No, probably not. Thanks for the reminder. I'll try that next.

Pat

Old November 15th 04, 03:09 PM
Pat Dotson

Hey! Installing new display drivers worked. But the frame rate
completely sucks. Athlon 1500+ and GeForce 4 MX 440.

Am I stuck until the next CPU/video upgrade? Would a newer video card
help? Or do I need to upgrade video and CPU both?

BTW, by "sucks", I'm talking drops down into the teens.

Pat Dotson

Old November 15th 04, 07:10 PM
Dave Henrie

Joachim Trensz > wrote in
:

> Dave Henrie wrote:
>> You are two generations behind in cpu power and 3 generations late in
>> Video processing. You certainly don't have a slow system, but to run
>> the newest sims, you'll need to think about more....lots more.

> I agree on most of what you say, but all he needs to get a decent
> image quality and fps for rF is an ATI 9600. I've tried one in my
> system, and while I had to set all graphics quality options to Medium
> instead of full, I get around 45 to 50 fps most everywhere and still
> good image quality. That's with 2xAA and 4xAniso. That gfx card costs
> ~ €80.-

but you are still limiting your future. And remember, this is a cripled
demo. I suspect the final processing/video requirements will be at least
somewhat higher with the final release. My son has an ati 9500 pro and it
runs even doom3 without too much trouble. But as we start piling on
dynamic lighting effects and more cars and the full physics package. I
think both his cpu and vidcard will be strained.

dh
Old November 16th 04, 03:13 PM
Pat Dotson

Thanks for the replies everyone! I'm going to pick up an Athlon 2400+
and a Radeon 9600. My motherboard will support that CPU, so it will
be a fairly cheap upgrade. Unfortunately, the mobo only does 4X AGP.
I currently have 256 Mb DDR memory. Hope that isn't a limitation.
Another 128 Mb is only $30 though.

Rfactor looks great. When it is supposed to be released?