One foot over the line

Old January 3rd 05, 07:31 PM
Nate Nagel

Matthew Russotto wrote:

> In article ch.edu>,
> Daniel J. Stern > wrote:
>
>>Dale Earnhart once said "Drive close to the wall, that way you won't have
>>time to accelerate on your way into it."

> Considering how he died, maybe not the best guy to take advice from on
> that point.

Actually, that advice might have made his fatal incident survivable. If
you look at the footage, it appears that his car "caught" and drove
straight into the wall at a decent clip. Pretty scary stuff. But you
don't always have the choice of a good place to crash from...

nate

--
replace "fly" with "com" to reply.
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel
Old January 3rd 05, 09:07 PM
Motorhead Lawyer

Scott en Aztl=E1n wrote:
> On Fri, 31 Dec 2004 09:39:34 -0500, Nate Nagel >
> wrote:
>
> >What's wrong with a '72 Fury?

> Nothing's "wrong" with it
>
> Also, how many BMW drivers do you uppose would risk cutting off a '72
> Fury in traffic?

Having spent several years behind the wheel of a much 'lighter' and
'nimbler' (laughably relative terms, of course) '68 Fury III, I can
tell you: *I would!*

> Even if they did, the Beemer would bounce right off
> and crumple up into a ball of tinfoil while the Fury would emerge
> without a scratch.

You'd be wrong on two counts. First of all, while those old Mopars
seemed to be made of heavier metal than their other American
contemporaries, they're nothing compared to the typical BMW of the next
decade. I still suspect that Karmann didn't actually invent structural
rust; they stole the secret from Detroit.

Second, you're assuming the Plymouth would actually *catch* me in
traffic. Not bloody likely. Look up the performance specs for a 1988
535is.
--
C=2ER. Krieger
(Been there; drove them)

Old January 3rd 05, 09:07 PM
Motorhead Lawyer

Old January 3rd 05, 09:14 PM
Motorhead Lawyer

Matthew Russotto wrote:
> In article ch.edu>,
> Daniel J. Stern > wrote:
> >
> >Dale Earnhart once said "Drive close to the wall, that way you won't

have
> >time to accelerate on your way into it."

> Considering how he died, maybe not the best guy to take advice from

on
> that point.

C'mon, Matt. You can't possibly be the only guy who never saw that
crash footage. Ol' DE Sr. was at the bottom of the track when he got
guided wallward, in blatant disregard of his own advice. But he was
blocking for Mikey & DE Jr.

He & Stern are right. If you're gonna play this game, you gotta play
it *right*. That means parking so damn close that the original space
hog won't even *think* of getting in on that side. That means as close
as the thickness of their door. so when it's opened, the door panel
doesn't clear the opening. On a good day, I can get close enough so
they can't *walk* on that side.
--
C.R. Krieger
(Been there; done that)

Old January 3rd 05, 09:14 PM
Motorhead Lawyer

Old January 3rd 05, 09:25 PM
Daniel J. Stern

On Mon, 3 Jan 2005, Motormouth^h^h^h^h^hhead Lawyer wrote:

> If you're gonna play this game, you gotta play it *right*. That means
> parking so damn close that the original space hog won't even *think* of
> getting in on that side. That means as close as the thickness of their
> door. so when it's opened, the door panel doesn't clear the opening.
> On a good day, I can get close enough so they can't *walk* on that side.

Bonus points if they've put themselves close to a wall or tree or
something that'll make it difficult (or, preferably, impossible) to get in
on the other side, too.

Enlisting a helper with his own vehicle to play the part of a wall or tree
or something is fair play.

Old January 3rd 05, 09:25 PM
Daniel J. Stern

Old January 3rd 05, 09:47 PM
Nate Nagel

Motorhead Lawyer wrote:

> Scott en Aztlán wrote:
>
>>On Fri, 31 Dec 2004 09:39:34 -0500, Nate Nagel >
>>wrote:
>>

>>>What's wrong with a '72 Fury?

>>Nothing's "wrong" with it
>>
>>Also, how many BMW drivers do you uppose would risk cutting off a '72
>>Fury in traffic?

> Having spent several years behind the wheel of a much 'lighter' and
> 'nimbler' (laughably relative terms, of course) '68 Fury III, I can
> tell you: *I would!*
>

>>Even if they did, the Beemer would bounce right off
>>and crumple up into a ball of tinfoil while the Fury would emerge
>>without a scratch.

> You'd be wrong on two counts. First of all, while those old Mopars
> seemed to be made of heavier metal than their other American
> contemporaries, they're nothing compared to the typical BMW of the next
> decade. I still suspect that Karmann didn't actually invent structural
> rust; they stole the secret from Detroit.
>
> Second, you're assuming the Plymouth would actually *catch* me in
> traffic. Not bloody likely. Look up the performance specs for a 1988
> 535is.
> --
> C.R. Krieger
> (Been there; drove them)

Well, I did say "Police Interceptor."

I can't even argue on either side of this, I love both cars.

But I would like to match them up against each other, just 'cause it
would be fun

nate

Old January 3rd 05, 09:47 PM
Nate Nagel

Old January 4th 05, 03:36 AM
fbloogyudsr

"Motorhead Lawyer" > wrote
> He & Stern are right. If you're gonna play this game, you gotta play
> it *right*. That means parking so damn close that the original space
> hog won't even *think* of getting in on that side. That means as close
> as the thickness of their door. so when it's opened, the door panel
> doesn't clear the opening. On a good day, I can get close enough so
> they can't *walk* on that side.

I once found the only place left; between two line huggers. I aimed it
up, got out and pushed it into the parking place, nailing two at once.
Anyone beat that?

Floyd