325i: Where is the water coming from?

Old December 6th 05, 09:20 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw

Default 325i: Where is the water coming from?

The other day I noticed that the back seat carpet and floor mats on both
sides of my wife's 2001 325i were soaked with water. I vacuumed up the
water and there was quite a bit, maybe 2-3 quarts. There appears to be a
"subfloor" which held most of the water.

I have been unable to figure out the source of the water. I have ruled out
an open window or spilled water bottle (neither would explain how the water
was on both sides). We drove several hours in a heavy rainstorm, but I
could find no visible leaks around the windows, doors or sunroof. Also I
cannot see any sign of water on the seats or headliner.

Could someone suggest the source of the water or explain the construction of
the car?

Regards,
John

Old December 6th 05, 11:02 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw

> The other day I noticed that the back seat carpet and floor mats on both
> sides of my wife's 2001 325i were soaked with water. I vacuumed up the
> water and there was quite a bit, maybe 2-3 quarts.

It could be coming in from the rear, from the boot area. Or you could
have sills full of water due to blocked drain holes, these would
overflow into the car eventually. Seen both before.

Email: , John G.Burns B.Eng, Bonny Scotland
Web :
http://www.unixnerd.demon.co.uk - The Ultimate BMW Homepage!
www.Strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible price
Old December 7th 05, 04:02 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw

Default Where is the water coming from?

Windshield bottom seal, along the hood, my son 325is 94 had same problem
after 3 hours rainstorm.
Water gets to the AC blower housing and into the floor, the back is the
lower point, your front mats should be wet too, but not as bad as the ones
in the back.

Old December 7th 05, 09:39 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw

Hello,

Well in my 635, the front sunroof drain tubes were made of some type of
material that shrunk over the years and retracted inside the frame of
the car. So instead now the drains were filling up my rocker panels and
inside of the cabin as well. Can you locate the drain tubes and verify
how they are routed?

Oh and yeah, the front windscreen leaks are sooo common.

Blake

Old December 7th 05, 11:50 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw

I will investigate the drain tubes. The sunroof was serviced a few months
ago, perhaps the drain tubes were knocked out of position.

I have not considered the windshield because the front carpet is dry but the
rear carpet is equally wet on both sides.

Thanks for the ideas.

oups.com...

Old December 10th 05, 09:55 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw

I have found on several types of BM,s water coming in around boot seal.

Old December 11th 05, 03:10 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw

check the door vapor barriers real well against door frame,if they are
not sealed properly, water will leak inside vehicle. if you have had a
window regulator replaced or body work done on a door. start
there...good luck

Old December 11th 05, 09:30 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw

In article <sgnlf.3272$605.2993@trndny09>,
John Starr > wrote:
> he other day I noticed that the back seat carpet and floor mats on both
> sides of my wife's 2001 325i were soaked with water. I vacuumed up the
> water and there was quite a bit, maybe 2-3 quarts. There appears to be
> a "subfloor" which held most of the water.

> I have been unable to figure out the source of the water. I have ruled
> out an open window or spilled water bottle (neither would explain how
> the water was on both sides). We drove several hours in a heavy
> rainstorm, but I could find no visible leaks around the windows, doors
> or sunroof. Also I cannot see any sign of water on the seats or
> headliner.

> Could someone suggest the source of the water or explain the
> construction of the car?

I'd first check for a blocked sunroof drain.

--
*Toilet stolen from police station. Cops have nothing to go on.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.