Fanatec Porsche 911 Turbo Steering Wheel Review

Old September 6th 08, 01:19 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Tim Wheatley

Default Fanatec Porsche 911 Turbo Steering Wheel Review

Hi,

If anyone is interested I just posted a 911 Wheel review:
http://timwheatley.org/www/2008/09/0...o-wheel-review

Also recently posted a Logitech Force EX review too:
http://timwheatley.org/www/2008/08/2...iving-force-ex

Cheers,

Tim.
Old September 6th 08, 03:42 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
John Doe

Tim Wheatley > wrote:

> If anyone is interested I just posted a 911 Wheel review:
> http://timwheatley.org/www/2008/09/0...o-wheel-review
>
> Also recently posted a Logitech Force EX review too:
> http://timwheatley.org/www/2008/08/2...iving-force-ex
>
> Cheers,
>
> Tim.

Why not post your review here?

--
The first big front wheel rollerblades.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/27532210@N04/2565924423/
Old September 6th 08, 03:52 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Tim Wheatley

> Why not post your review here?
>
> --
> The first big front wheel rollerblades.http://www.flickr.com/photos/27532210@N04/2565924423/
> Google Groups is destroying the USENET archive.

Same reason those rollerblade photos aren't here. The article wouldn't
display as I want it to, images and all.
Old September 6th 08, 04:13 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Bob Loblaw

"Tim Wheatley" > wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> If anyone is interested I just posted a 911 Wheel review:
> http://timwheatley.org/www/2008/09/0...o-wheel-review
>
> Also recently posted a Logitech Force EX review too:
> http://timwheatley.org/www/2008/08/2...iving-force-ex
>
> Cheers,
>
> Tim.

Interesting review but if i may make a suggestion, the price is one of the
most important factors in hardware reviews. For example, the new Frex wheel
is getting rave reviews but the 2000$ price tag has to be considered. I have
found that the Logitech G25 hits the sweet spot for the price/quality ratio.
It's also very moddable for those who like customizing their equipement.

Old September 6th 08, 05:06 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Tim Wheatley

On Sep 6, 10:13*am, "Bob Loblaw" > wrote:
> "Tim Wheatley" > wrote in message

> > Hi,

> > If anyone is interested I just posted a 911 Wheel review:
> >http://timwheatley.org/www/2008/09/0...11-turbo-wheel...

> > Also recently posted a Logitech Force EX review too:
> >http://timwheatley.org/www/2008/08/2...iving-force-ex

> > Cheers,

> > Tim.

> Interesting review but if i may make a suggestion, the price is one of the
> most important factors in hardware reviews. For example, the new Frex wheel
> is getting rave reviews but the 2000$ price tag has to be considered. I have
> found that the Logitech G25 hits the sweet spot for the price/quality ratio.
> It's also very moddable for those who like customizing their equipement.

Thanks Bob. I didn't really consider pricing because I didn't have to
pay for it. I do think that it is well worth the money when compared
to the G25 pricing. I added info on the price and said that I think
it's worth the price now in the article... Just a mention though...
Old September 6th 08, 09:40 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Flat Earth Society

Tim Wheatley > wrote in
:

> Hi,
>
> If anyone is interested I just posted a 911 Wheel review:
> http://timwheatley.org/www/2008/09/0...-turbo-wheel-r
> eview

Looks like a nice wheel but you complained about the clamping system which
is somehting I always consider seriously in wheels. Why hasn't anyone ever
copied the clamping system from the old Microsoft FFB wheels? Did Microsoft
patent that clamping system or something? It's easily the best clamping
system for wheels ever devised. The Logitech still uses the clunky old two
plastic screw system they have always used. With the Microsft wheel once
you have set the gap there are no big plastic screws to turn, you just push
the clamp up to make it clamp to your desk and it can clamp to any
thickness of desk, only takes a few seconds to do it too. That's the main
reason why I still use my Microsoft FFB wheel going on 7 years now and
haven't bothered to buy a new wheel.
Old September 9th 08, 09:39 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
PlowBoy,

Tim,

I'm wondering if you cant get (borrow) a g25 to review somehow. I'd really
like to see how your reviews would take into account "compared," especially
since you haven't had or tried the 25. I thought "UUUUGH, 300 bucks, no
way!" Then I finally bought one (while in the ordering phase, praying I
would NOT regret nor have wasted the 300 bucks {US}.

I'm one of the guys that loved the MS Sidewinder ff wheels and never thought
I would like any other.... I had used and tried everything from the
Thrustmaster t2, through nascar pro2 and the 2 other Logitech wheels. well
about a year ago, I got the 25 because I got new PC... (sidewinder with XP
sp2 or greater is tricky to get installed correctly)... I think and soapbox
obviously, it was good, and pleasant decision.

IMHO generally: if you haven't tried the g25 ya just don't know what you
are missing (even I didn't). Still, at least you, Tim, have tried a 900
degree wheel. I been told (and might concur) that since I haven't tried a
Ecci I don't know what I am missing, but I know I cant/wouldn't spend the

Old September 9th 08, 11:55 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
huh?

I came from a Microsoft FFB wheel. I did like the clamp on that wheel a lot.
However, I got the Fanantec wheel and the FFB is completely different than
the Microsoft wheel. Not only was I able to feel the smack of the wall when
I hit it (just like the Microsoft wheel) I was able to feel the little bumps
on the road (something I never felt before).

My only real complaint about the Porsche wheel is that first, there's no
on/off switch. I need to unplug it so it doesn't light up the entire room.
Second, the stitching on the leather may be perfect for the real Porsche
911, but on this wheel the parts of my fingers that rub up against the
stitching near the wheel spokes can get pretty irritated after a while. I
actually need to use driving gloves if I sim for a while.

Is the Porsche wheel worth the money? Well, considering I played with the
G25 at the store and realized I didn't like the shifting feel, yeah, I think
it's worth it. However, I did like the Microsoft wheel but having an actual
shifting lever for games like Nascar is really nice.

Old September 10th 08, 04:44 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
huh?

Forgot to add that the clamp system on the Fanatec system isn't as secure as
the Microsoft model, but it's good enough.

Old September 10th 08, 02:18 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Larry[_1_]

The DFGT is also a reasonable choice at around $125. The pedals aren't as
good as the G25, but the wheel is great and the shifter is serviceable.

Frankly, the shifter on the G25 feels like it's made by Mattel to me. Very
cheap and not very reliable.

If you already have a pedal set you like, the DFGT is a great choice. IMHO,
the FF is even better than the G25, particularly around-center as it does
not have the dual-motor problems the G25 does.

-Larry