1996 Honda Accord EX - Fuel Consumption

Old December 7th 04, 02:07 PM
Freddy

Default 1996 Honda Accord EX - Fuel Consumption

Hi,

I recently bought a 1996 Honda Accord EX (Automatic gear, 4 cyl., 2.2
L). It has 240,000 km on it.
I have noticed that the gas consumption is a bit high, around
14L/100km or 16 mpg. which is very unusual as I know.
I'm not sure what is causing that, but would like to get your response
to it. What do you think might be causing this problem, and what is
the normal fuel consumption for such a car.
The current weather conditions are cold, between -10 C and 5 C. But
i'm not sure if that has a direct impact.
Can anyone help, or suggests what should be done in such case?
other than that the Honda is running really smooth and there are no
problems with it what so ever.

Thanks for your help,
Freddy
Old December 7th 04, 02:28 PM
motsco_ _

Freddy wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I recently bought a 1996 Honda Accord EX (Automatic gear, 4 cyl., 2.2
> L). It has 240,000 km on it.
> I have noticed that the gas consumption is a bit high, around
> 14L/100km or 16 mpg. which is very unusual as I know.
> I'm not sure what is causing that, but would like to get your response
> to it. What do you think might be causing this problem, and what is
> the normal fuel consumption for such a car.
> The current weather conditions are cold, between -10 C and 5 C. But
> i'm not sure if that has a direct impact.
> Can anyone help, or suggests what should be done in such case?
> other than that the Honda is running really smooth and there are no
> problems with it what so ever.
>
> Thanks for your help,
> Freddy

------------------------

Since the car is new-to-you, perform the 'lamp test' to be sure all your
'idiot lights' are working, especially the CHECK ENGINE one. For bad
mileage, check whether there's been a tune-up, especially spark plugs
changed recently, and the PCV is suspect too. You can change the PCV
yourself, but get a real Honda part. The servicing dealer will print out
all that stuff if you ask them nice, and it's good to have the records
for resale when the time comes.

Run a can of Techron fuel injector cleaner thru it too (or a couple
tanks of gasohol if it's available in your area.

Don't idle the car in cold weather to warm it up. Just enough to brush
off the snow. Use a block heater too. It's -28 C here, this morning.

'Curly'

Old December 8th 04, 01:43 AM

hey Curly,

thank you for your reply...well I have to admit I didn't understand
what you meant by PCV...

and I want to ask if you meant that I should ask the dealer for
records...since I dont know where the car was serviced, I'm not sure
how can I get that info....even though I bought the car from a
dealership (but not sure if the car was serviced there or not)...

and I guess you agree with me that the consumption I'm getting off the
car is not the normal one...

I'm not sure if there is something related to oxygen sensors, as my
knowledge is limited in this stuff, someone suggested to check the
oxygen sensor, but I'm not sure about that...
Thank you for your reply...

Freddy

Old December 21st 04, 02:38 PM
Freddy

Hi .... any other comments about the fuel consumption...

Fuel odor - Accord 92 loukas Honda 18 November 29th 04 06:09 AM
new Honda Accord Vs old Honda Accord PD Honda 9 October 21st 04 05:21 AM
Why Are Honda CR-V's Catching Fire? Sparky Honda 4 October 19th 04 05:35 PM
2001 Honda accord and Viper alarm albert Honda 1 September 29th 04 03:11 AM