Chrysler cuts powertrain warranty to 5 years

Old August 23rd 09, 04:36 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
miles

Default Chrysler cuts powertrain warranty to 5 years

Licker wrote:

> Many trucks owners in Louisiana buy the diesel truck for personal use.

By far most diesel 2500's and 3500's are sold for personal use. Goes
for Ford, Chevy or Dodge. I have one and use it to tow my trailer.
Old August 23rd 09, 04:58 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Bill Putney

miles wrote:

> ...Trouble I have is that manufactures advertising raves about a sports
> cars performance. They show them driven in an abusive manner touting
> their capabilities but then won't warrant them for people who buy and
> drive them just as advertised.

Reminds me of the Ford lawsuit - I'm thinking sometime in the 60's or
70's: Ford TV commercials showed their 4WD pickup trucks being briskly
driven over creek beds with huge rocks in them. When consumers tried
the same thing on the new trucks they bought, all kinds of serious
damage occurred. Ford lost the lawsuit.

In our present day litigious society, I'm surprised they get away with
some of the irresponsible car advertising they do. Seems like a shrewd
lawyer could make a bundle off a couple of accidents with lifelong
injuries or fatalities. It's only a matter of time.

--
Bill Putney
address with the letter 'x')
Old August 23rd 09, 10:13 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Pete E. Kruzer[_2_]

On Aug 23, 11:20*am, miles > wrote:

> MoPar Man wrote:
> > But perhaps Chrysler's "lifetime" warranty was unwarranted, unworkable,
> > or unrealistic? *What other consumer product can you point to that has
> > ever had such a warranty?

> Sears Diehard batteries of yesteryear had lifetime warranties. *Turns
> out that Sears had to honor the warranty more than it planned and thus
> canceled it.

Here's one, it sez he

http://www.vaposeal.com/Warranty.html

Old August 23rd 09, 10:40 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Jim Higgins

Pete E. Kruzer wrote:
> On Aug 23, 11:20 am, miles > wrote:
>
>> MoPar Man wrote:
>>> But perhaps Chrysler's "lifetime" warranty was unwarranted, unworkable,
>>> or unrealistic? What other consumer product can you point to that has
>>> ever had such a warranty?

>> Sears Diehard batteries of yesteryear had lifetime warranties. Turns
>> out that Sears had to honor the warranty more than it planned and thus
>> canceled it.

> Here's one, it sez he
>
> http://www.vaposeal.com/Warranty.html

Zippo lighters, they are still loving their warranty :-)

--
Civis Romanus Sum
Old August 24th 09, 05:13 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
who

In article >, MoPar Man > wrote:

> Jim Higgins full-quoted:

> > That they significantly lowered the warranty does not bode well for
> > their confidence in the product they are peddling (and all that the
> > word "peddling" implies).

> To play the devil's advocate, why be critical of Chrysler when they are
> simply matching the powertrain warranty offered by Toyota, Honda and
> Nissan?

It's not about product confidence, it's about reducing costs.
Old August 24th 09, 05:15 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Joe Pfeiffer

miles > writes:

> MoPar Man wrote:
>> But perhaps Chrysler's "lifetime" warranty was unwarranted, unworkable,
>> or unrealistic? What other consumer product can you point to that has
>> ever had such a warranty?

> Sears Diehard batteries of yesteryear had lifetime warranties. Turns
> out that Sears had to honor the warranty more than it planned and thus
> canceled it.

Well... I had a Sears lifetime warranty on an alternator. While it's
true they eventually cancelled the warranty as it was too expensive to
replace every couple of years (seems like putting in an alternator that
wasn't crap would have been cheaper and avoided PR problems, but never
mind), when they did they refunded the purchase (including installation)
price of the alternator. It is hard to argue with that.
Old August 24th 09, 08:34 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Josh S

In article
utertechnology>,
Jim Higgins > wrote:

> I think that Chrysler, and GM, have much more to prove. They need to
> have a very, very good warranty to move people to take a chance on their
> products. Many people, especially now, just do not have the resources to
> gamble on Chrysler or GM and take a real chance on coming up Snake Eyes.
> Perhaps a stellar warranty might move them to take such a chance.

It's much simpler than that.
Both GM & Chrysler need the products many people want to buy, neither
have a car I'm interested. Nothing has changed since the bankruptcies.

A 5 year warranty is fine for me. If there's a significant weakness it
will show up within 5 years.
Old August 27th 09, 03:28 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
CountFloyd

On Mon, 24 Aug 2009 07:34:47 +0000, Josh S wrote:

> It's much simpler than that.
> Both GM & Chrysler need the products many people want to buy, neither
> have a car I'm interested. Nothing has changed since the bankruptcies.

As to having cars I don't want, I agree with you, but in a different way. When we were going to replace our 2005 PT
Convertible, strictly to get more gas mileage, we went to the Honda store. When a salesman came over, we said we
wanted to see the highest gas mileage car they had. They led us to the Fit. I was in the mood and just said, "Ok, lets
do the deal, this is the goddamndest ugliest car I have ever seen, but it gets 38mpg". He was stunned that I could
think a Honda was ugly! My wife and I sat in the car and basically felt we were in a clown car, she felt unsafe. She
said "No Thanks". On the way out, she said no more little, tinny cars. She wanted something she felt safe in. She
did like the Element, but hell, it got the same mileage as the PT! Hondas and Toyotas seats were too low to the floor,
we like chair high seats, so that dictated our choice of cars to look at.

"What do you mean there's no movie?"